Is there any unreversable effects to rooting?

amajamar

Reaction score
I'm almost ready to take the plunge and root my Droid, but I was wondering if there is any permanent changes that would occur if I choose to revert to stock at some point.

In other words, would someone be able to tell by looking at files or other signs that the phone was at some point rooted or some custom ROM was installed?

Please don't flame the noob question!

Thanks in advance!

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
In short no. As long as you completely restored via sbf (that will replace the bootloader, the ROM and baseband) than there is nothing 'left on' the phone for anyone to see (at least not any of the idiots at a VZW store).

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
As KZI said... flashing the .sbf file will return your Droid to "Out of the Box" condition. As it was received by you upon purchase.

OP
A

amajamar

Reaction score
(at least not any of the idiots at a VZW store).

So I take it that there are some "trace" indications that the phone has been modified at some point in time? OK, so what about functionality? Would there be anything functionality wise that would "never be the same"? Or, could I get back to "never mucked around with" condition? I do understand I could brick the phone, but I'm not really talking about that...

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
no permanent changes whatsoever, as everyone has been saying.

mbeta

Reaction score
bricking

You almost have to try to brick a phone completely.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
(at least not any of the idiots at a VZW store).

So I take it that there are some "trace" indications that the phone has been modified at some point in time? OK, so what about functionality? Would there be anything functionality wise that would "never be the same"? Or, could I get back to "never mucked around with" condition? I do understand I could brick the phone, but I'm not really talking about that...
No 'traces' left. If you were to bring a rooted phone into VZW for support they can tell easily, but if the phone is returned to stock (Flashed .sbf) then it is in the exact same condition the phone was when you opened the box the first time from VZW.

There are no adverse effects to rooting/unrooting.

OP
A

amajamar

Reaction score
OK guys, sounds good! Thanks!

One other quick question. It seems(after reading around a bit) that there are a couple of different ways to root, however I take it that the SPRecovery route is the safest way and best way? Or is it the only way?

Thanks.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
OK guys, sounds good! Thanks!

One other quick question. It seems(after reading around a bit) that there are a couple of different ways to root, however I take it that the SPRecovery route is the safest way and best way? Or is it the only way?

Thanks.
There's SPRecovery and Clockwork Recovery.

Personally I prefer SPRecovery as I had bad luck with Clockwork. But there are those who swear by CW.

There have been some who have had issues with flashing Froyo ROMS with CW so I would recommend SPRecovery.

However you can't really go wrong with either!

angler1

Reaction score
Can a Verizon employee ask to look at my market apps? That would be an easy way to see if the phone had ever been rooted. Looking at paid rooted only apps. Would make sense to look their if it was me. Or is it private info?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Can a Verizon employee ask to look at my market apps? That would be an easy way to see if the phone had ever been rooted. Looking at paid rooted only apps. Would make sense to look their if it was me. Or is it private info?

They can ask, you can deny. They can also deny you technical support.

I dont know what the exact rules are, but if you're giving your phone to a tech for support, then you can assume they will have full access to everything on your phone.

Keep in mind that many VZW techs have Droids and root their droids. They're not as stupid as they might have us believe.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I returned a rooted Droid (after returning it to stock) no issues.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Create a new Gmail account and delete the one you normally use. Then you have no downloaded apps.

rkeller62

Reaction score

Don't see how they have any right to look at what you have purchased in the Market, just as the store reps can't access what sites you go to on 3G. However, even if they did see that you purchased a 'root' app it is still not 'definitive' proof that you rooted your phone.

bje1982

Reaction score
I'm almost ready to take the plunge and root my Droid, but I was wondering if there is any permanent changes that would occur if I choose to revert to stock at some point.

In other words, would someone be able to tell by looking at files or other signs that the phone was at some point rooted or some custom ROM was installed?

Please don't flame the noob question!

Thanks in advance!

The main thing that you cannot reverse is the Rom adddiction youll soon have after you root.. but dont worry theres meetings popping up everywhere to help you. :icon_ banana: