Is there an app for that? If not, ask!

josh

Reaction score
The Droid is my first Android phone and I'm loving it so far. Unfortunately, Android doesn't have nearly the number of apps that other smartphone :iphone: does. So if you know of an app that exists for another phone and not on Android, contact the developers and ask for one.

For example, I contacted TripIt to ask them to make an Android app. If enough people start asking for Android apps--rather than just sitting around and waiting for them to appear--companies and developers will get the message and the Market will really get booming. From one thread I see a number of people have been contacting Audible.com... good job!

The moral of the story is if you don't see an app you want, ask for it! :)

MAzing87

Reaction score
The Droid is my first Android phone and I'm loving it so far. Unfortunately, Android doesn't have nearly the number of apps that other smartphone :iphone: does. So if you know of an app that exists for another phone and not on Android, contact the developers and ask for one.

For example, I contacted TripIt to ask them to make an Android app. If enough people start asking for Android apps--rather than just sitting around and waiting for them to appear--companies and developers will get the message and the Market will really get booming. From one thread I see a number of people have been contacting Audible.com... good job!

The moral of the story is if you don't see an app you want, ask for it! :)
Very good tip!!!

keiichi25

Reaction score
Heh, well, some of us never really had an iPhone so we don't know what apps are out there or looked cause we never needed to. :) Of course, the iPhone users could do that like you did. I know right now I am asking here once in a while and doing searches for various apps to tweak the phone the way I like, and also trying other avenues to see about getting updates on some apps, like Timeriffic and Locale for what I want, but of course, patience is a virtue, as most of these guys haven't gotten time or a chance to play with the new version yet.

smokin5s

Reaction score
I emailed a developer yesterday because they make an app for the iPhone that maps out jogging routes... you just put in your zip code or allow GPS to map it and you tell it how far you want to run and it maps it all out for you... seemed pretty slick.

I haven't heard back yet

OP
J

josh

Reaction score
keiichi25,

Well I've never owned an iPhone either but several of my friends do and they always love to show off what it can do. So I have an idea of some of the apps that they have that we don't. Also many commercial websites will promote their iPhone apps on their site, so that's another way to become aware of what's out there.

smokin5s, that's what I'm talking about! Good job... what's the app? Sounds useful. I wouldn't mind firing off an email myself.

smokin5s

Reaction score
I think it's mapmyrun.com but I could be wrong, I emailed them from my work computer and I'm at home.

Christine

Reaction score
On a related note: Think an app has potential but needs a lot more features? Email the developer.

It's important to realize how small many of these developers are. I recently downloaded Gift List, which is surprisingly the only real gift buying app in the market. It was lacking a lot of features which I would want in a gift list app, so I emailed the developer. Within ten minutes, I had a reply saying that the developers had "had a meeting to discuss [my] suggestions." Several of the features I wanted are now in the works. If I hadn't asked, those features wouldn't be coming.

OP
J

josh

Reaction score
That's good advice, Christine. It never hurts to ask, and it may end up helping you and everyone else!

rod

Reaction score
smokin5s ... i read your post and i swear i remember seeing an app already on the market that does something like this. i wish i could remember the name of it. i just did some searching and couldnt find anything that would map out a route for you, but i did find one called "buddy runner" and another called "my tracks", both seem to display route stats during and after a run. i hope these help for now. if i run across the other app again, ill let you know

coondogg97

Reaction score
The two apps I used the most on my Touch were:

1. Pocket Tunes - Streams hundreds of radio stations from around the country/world including XM and Sirius. DroidLive is OK, but not nearly as full as Pocket Tunes.
  2. SimplifyMedia - Allows you to stream your own music and pictures from a remote computer. They have no intention on porting to Android though. :icon_evil:

a73

Reaction score
all I want is a working NY times app. the current 3rd party solution available for Android is garbage. I emailed the NY times and asked if they were working on this. Hopefully they realize the potential and port their iphone app to android

superglen99

Reaction score
three apps I would like are a fireplace app with picture and sound of a fireplace, a cat piano and a dog piano

Kevin8se7en

Reaction score
I want that stupid beer Drinking app the iPhone has (iBeer) because my idiot friend keeps saying his phone is better because of it (obviously joking), but if I had it.. it would shut him up. lol...Plus its one of the iPhones most popular apps.

Bateluer

Reaction score
I want that stupid beer Drinking app the iPhone has (iBeer) because my idiot friend keeps saying his phone is better because of it (obviously joking), but if I had it.. it would shut him up. lol...Plus its one of the iPhones most popular apps.

Problem is, its a retarded app. I use Bartender on my Droid for actual practical use.

TripIt would be nice to have though.

OP
J

josh

Reaction score
I got this email today from TripIt:

Hi Josh,

Our Android app is out in beta! You can find it in the Android market. Check it out and let us know what you think!

Best regards,
Lisa

Sweet! I would like an NYT app as well, so I'll send them an email too.