Is there a way to tell apps to use Google Voice for SMS?

nighthawk700

Reaction score
I don't have SMS service on my Droid, but I do have Google Voice. I'm testing out a Geocaching app that lets you send an SMS with information about your latest find. Is there a way to "tell" apps not to use the standard SMS, but use Google Voice instead?

(and sorry, I don't have invites available)

Thanks for any info.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Nope. There's certainly no option to do so (at the moment anyway).

cabotcat

Reaction score
Maybe no app but you can certainly accomplish this task by signing onto your GV account through the Droids web browser.

cabotcat

Reaction score
Maybe no app but you can certainly accomplish this task by signing onto your GV account through the Droids web browser.

But how would that allow they third party app I have to send the SMS via Google Voice?

It would not allow your ap to send the SMS. I may have misunderstood your query. I was under the impression that you desired to send SMS messages without charge. If this is the case you can accomplish this task provided you have Google Voice and navigate to your account via a web browser.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
It would not allow your ap to send the SMS. I may have misunderstood your query. I was under the impression that you desired to send SMS messages without charge. If this is the case you can accomplish this task provided you have Google Voice and navigate to your account via a web browser.

... even then your suggestion is, well... not good... why go through your browser instead of just using the Google Voice APP?

cabotcat

Reaction score

... even then your suggestion is, well... not good... why go through your browser instead of just using the Google Voice APP?

Just trying to offer suggestions. If you have an answer for the OP by all means speak up.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just trying to offer suggestions. If you have an answer for the OP by all means speak up.
It was already answered in the post above yours. But there is a 'work-around' that he can try.

OP you can send 'txts' through email to phones all major carriers. So if the app you are using supports email in addition to txt you can send it to people as a txt with your email client. To try it have GV forward txts to your emails. You'll see that the email you receive has a return address that will look pretty weird (it should show the persons phone number followed by their carriers required address). To make thinks easier as people send you txts from now on just send their email-txt address to their contact. This is the method I use almost exclusively for txts (i.e. they are all handled via my email client and not the GV app).

(how's that cabotcat?):icon_ devil:

OP
N

nighthawk700

Reaction score
If there's no way to do it, no problem. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. If I get a chance I'll look up where Google Voice takes suggestions, maybe there is a way to make their app become the "default" SMS program.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
If there's no way to do it, no problem. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. If I get a chance I'll look up where Google Voice takes suggestions, maybe there is a way to make their app become the "default" SMS program.

does the Geocaching app support email? If so see above (sorry, you responded while I was typing the reply). That should work, if not you might like if for normal txting in general with GV (I don't have VZW txting either, this way you/I only have to mess with one app, that being the email client).

cabotcat

Reaction score
It was already answered in the post above yours. But there is a 'work-around' that he can try.

OP you can send 'txts' through email to phones all major carriers. So if the app you are using supports email in addition to txt you can send it to people as a txt with your email client. To try it have GV forward txts to your emails. You'll see that the email you receive has a return address that will look pretty weird (it should show the persons phone number followed by their carriers required address). To make thinks easier as people send you txts from now on just send their email-txt address to their contact. This is the method I use almost exclusively for txts (i.e. they are all handled via my email client and not the GV app).

(how's that cabotcat?):icon_ devil:

Whatever blows your skirt.

masters

Reaction score

I do not believe there is a way...

The OP has App-A (say for simplicity) you push a big red button and it sends a text message.. They want that text message to go out through Google Voice NOT as a normal text message through Verizon.

Royal2000H

Reaction score

I do not believe there is a way...

The OP has App-A (say for simplicity) you push a big red button and it sends a text message.. They want that text message to go out through Google Voice NOT as a normal text message through Verizon.

I'm pretty sure the button in App A doesn't send the text, but sends him to the messaging app with the text pre-filled in, though I may be wrong..
Not really a good solution or workaround, but maybe let it open the messaging app and then copy paste into google voice?

OP
N

nighthawk700

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the button in App A doesn't send the text, but sends him to the messaging app with the text pre-filled in, though I may be wrong..
Not really a good solution or workaround, but maybe let it open the messaging app and then copy paste into google voice?

I was under the impression it was automatically sent. I didn't test because I don't want the SMS charge. But might try out one just to see. First I have to find a new cache. ;-)