Questions about Google Voice

Zindrix

Reaction score
Sorry I had to make a new thread, the last one turned into a begging for an invite kind of a thing.

I have a few questions about Google Voice though:

I do not have unlimited texting to non Verizon customers, but now I have this Google Voice number, will it use data and not SMS?

About making calls or SMS to Canada, any difference there? What about incoming calls?

What are the "free" things that you can do with Google Voice? Considering you have an unlimited data plan?

Any help/answers are appreciated, thank you!

GreenJeans

Reaction score
Yes, you can text for free over data, but you must text through the google voice app, and recieve texts on your google voice number (make sure your friends forget your old number). Also, make sure you go to settings>phone>disable forwarding sms to mobile. This way, your sending and recieving texts will go through data. If you receive a text on your carrier provided number, or if you have google voice set to forward sms to mobile, then you will get dinged for an sms.

To make unlimited global calling, you need to check your detailed call log on the verizon site, and see what number google voice is calling out through. Just add that to your calling circle thingy.

For incoming calls, you'll have to do some googling. I think you can have google show caller ID properly (which means incoming calls will be billed normally), or have your google voice number show up for incoming calls...which I think would make all your incoming calls free, assuming your google voice number is in your calling circle...

blu3fireball

Reaction score
Greenjeans can you go over more specifically how to disable sms forwarding to phone? I go to settings but can't find the option. Right now I get two notifications for every incoming text, one to gvoice and another to my regular message inbox. I would like it to only go to gvoice to avoid sms costs.

GreenJeans

Reaction score
Right...

Settings>phones> click 'edit' on your mobile phone> uncheck 'receive sms on this phone'

yah?

blu3fireball

Reaction score
OH in the google voice settings. I was looking through phone and message settings and couldn't find the option. I think I took care of it, thanks!

OP
Z

Zindrix

Reaction score
Greenjeans, thanks a bunch for the info, I already disabled the SMS to my phone so I have that worked out. I just have this plan where I can only text 500 out of network and I have friends on ATT who have unlimited...needless to say my bill was way over last month, I gave them this new number to try and now I think everything will be great!

Thanks again for clearing this up. I'm sure you have helped more people than just me!

GreenJeans

Reaction score
Glad to hear it!

Just so you all know...you should periodically check your detailed call log, because the number that GV calls out through apparently occasionally changes. Just keep on top of making sure its in your calling circle.