Is there a way to make native Gmail black instead of white?

Jer

Reaction score
Not a fan of the brightness that an all white screen gives off, especially in the dark. Is there a theme or something that reverses color or makes the background black/dark?

Moondonkey

Reaction score
What your talking about would be cool. I would prefer it that way, but I have not heard of a way to do it.

If you are running CM6, there is a widget you can put on your home screen called renderFX. It will shift the screen color to red, which is great for night since it does not put off as much light, and doesn't mess with your night vision as much.

OP
Jer

Jer

Reaction score
What your talking about would be cool. I would prefer it that way, but I have not heard of a way to do it.

If you are running CM6, there is a widget you can put on your home screen called renderFX. It will shift the screen color to red, which is great for night since it does not put off as much light, and doesn't mess with your night vision as much.

Nah, I was running CM but have been on BB v0.4 for quite some time now (since it came out actually) and haven't messed with ROMs in a bit. I may switch back to CM but probably not real soon.

OP
Jer

Jer

Reaction score
K9 has too many issues so I'm trying to avoid decreasing stability to change color. Not worth it that much to me.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hm, I don't know what version of K9 you're using. The gmail app is buggier for me. I haven't seen any K9 bugs. What bugs are you talking about? I do use both actually. You can too since gmail uses IMAP.

Bateluer

Reaction score
K9 has too many issues so I'm trying to avoid decreasing stability to change color. Not worth it that much to me.

3.0 just hit Market a few days ago. Never had any issues with K9, aside from the Attachment bug, which had a work around months ago.

OP
Jer

Jer

Reaction score
Hm, I don't know what version of K9 you're using. The gmail app is buggier for me. I haven't seen any K9 bugs. What bugs are you talking about? I do use both actually. You can too since gmail uses IMAP.

I tried it in Nov when I got my phone but I had some issues. I don't recall what they were but they were bad enough for me to give up and never try it again. Been using the installed Gmail app ever since and I haven't had a single issue other than I wish it wasn't white. Not sure what you mean by Gmail being buggy because it's been flawless for me.

OP
Jer

Jer

Reaction score

3.0 just hit Market a few days ago. Never had any issues with K9, aside from the Attachment bug, which had a work around months ago.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't try it again as it's been quite a while and I'm sure they've sorted out their issues but email is quite important to me and is something I'm not going to trust with a 3rd party unless there's very good reason to do so. Different color probably doesn't fit that bill especially if there's known bugs that require work arounds and what not. Not sure I want to invest too much time into a 3rd party app knowing it has issues that require work arounds before even installing.

djh074

Reaction score
Talk to "thebowers",in this forum, he did the same thing for the google voice app.(black background with white text ) he's a good dude, sure he would give it a try.