Is there a way to make native Gmail black instead of white?

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Now you're saying K9 needs workarounds but you haven't tried it since November. K9 was in beta in 2009 as you can see from their download page: Downloads - k9mail - Project Hosting on Google Code

The gmail app has caused me more problems. It has stopped polling on more than one occasion, requiring a data clear. The Droid X seems to have new problems where the client force closes. K9 has caused me no problems and K9 has more features than the gmail app...like being able to choose your From address and set up notifications per account.

I think the K9 devs work for google. Their google code site says they plan on rolling their work into the stock client. I think it's their "20% project".

Anyway, do what you like.

OP
Jer

Jer

Reaction score
Now you're saying K9 needs workarounds but you haven't tried it since November. K9 was in beta in 2009 as you can see from their download page: Downloads - k9mail - Project Hosting on Google Code

The gmail app has caused me more problems. It has stopped polling on more than one occasion, requiring a data clear. The Droid X seems to have new problems where the client force closes. K9 has caused me no problems and K9 has more features than the gmail app...like being able to choose your From address and set up notifications per account.

I think the K9 devs work for google. Their google code site says they plan on rolling their work into the stock client. I think it's their "20% project".
Do what you like.

Please read before lashing out. I'm not the one who said there were issues requiring work arounds. I even admitted that this was early on and I'm sure they've long since sorted the issues that I was having since it's been so long. Some people just want to fight. Eesh.

I've never had my Gmail app stop poling and I would notice because I get hundreds, yes hundreds of emails per day. I carry two spare batteries charged because this is such a load on battery. I don't have a Droid X (yet) so I can't speak to that but my buddy & his wife have had them since release and haven't said anything about stock Gmail issues. I'm not saying I'm 100% against it at this point in the game as I've already stated... just that email is important to me and functionality (which I currently have) is paramount to me and not worth jeopardizing for a color change. Someone is already talking about known issues with K9 and work arounds and I'm not interested in ANY email app that has this. I'm still not a real big fan of giving my email log in and password to a 3rd party either. Some are more trusting than others but I am pretty picky when it comes to email passwords.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Quick question, and slightly OT, but if I IMAP gmail through K-9 it'll still be instant notifications right? No delays or anything? And I can just turn off notifications from Gmail app so i won't get double notified? Also, if someone could make a black Gmail that would be ideal, because like Jer I haven't had any issues with Gmail app, but I use K-9 as well.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not lashing out. Here's what I've read from you:

I'm not the one who said there were issues requiring work arounds.

Hmmmm...

especially if there's known bugs that require work arounds and what not. Not sure I want to invest too much time into a 3rd party app knowing it has issues that require work arounds before even installing.

K9 has too many issues so I'm trying to avoid decreasing stability to change color. Not worth it that much to me.

Did someone hack your droidforums account?

Quick question, and slightly OT, but if I IMAP gmail through K-9 it'll still be instant notifications right? No delays or anything? And I can just turn off notifications from Gmail app so i won't get double notified?

Yes to all.

Last edited:
OP
Jer

Jer

Reaction score
I'm not lashing out. Here's what I've read from you:

I'm not the one who said there were issues requiring work arounds.

Hmmmm...

especially if there's known bugs that require work arounds and what not. Not sure I want to invest too much time into a 3rd party app knowing it has issues that require work arounds before even installing.

K9 has too many issues so I'm trying to avoid decreasing stability to change color. Not worth it that much to me.

Did someone hack your droidforums account?

Quick question, and slightly OT, but if I IMAP gmail through K-9 it'll still be instant notifications right? No delays or anything? And I can just turn off notifications from Gmail app so i won't get double notified?

Yes to all.

Post #11 genius. Apparently they don't teach reading comprehension or basic math these days in school but last I checked Post #11 comes before post #13 which is what you quoted. It's obvious to anyone with basic reading comprehension that in post #13 I was referring to what post #11 stated. Stop trying to instigate some worthless internet fight. It's really not conducive to the optic at hand.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey I've got an idea. Both of you stop fighting and start treating each other respectfully. And let's try that starting now.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Post #8:

Hook, I'm just trying to help people and have a good time.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone. Sometimes "tone" is hard to convey through writing.

Last edited:

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
How do I get a white LED for K-9? It works sometimes, but other times it comes out blue. I know you have to pick a bluish color but not sure how to do it.

dclutter1

Reaction score
Talk to "thebowers",in this forum, he did the same thing for the google voice app.(black background with white text ) he's a good dude, sure he would give it a try.

The last I heard, he was having trouble with gmail. He mentioned it in 928droid's black glass thread. I don't know where he's at with it now or if he's even still working on it.

Also, +1 for k9.