Is there a GPS app that works well and doesn't use a ton of Data?

jmsmackdown

Reaction score
I need to use GPS for my job and am a current iPhone 4 customer thinking of getting a droid phone.

I currently use the TomTom GPS app on iPhone and it uses very little data. (I use it all month and only end up using about 300 MB a month)

I was wondering before switching if Droid has a good GPS app similar to this in the way that it won't kill my data plan but also works well?

b_salgado

Reaction score
This is the EXACT reason I have an unlimited data package! The factory google navigation app on droid works perfectly!

OP
J

jmsmackdown

Reaction score
This is the EXACT reason I have an unlimited data package! The factory google navigation app on droid works perfectly!

Ok well obviously having unlimited data would be ideal, but this question is about for those who don't have it.

The TomTom app on iPhone works very well and uses very little data, so I know it's possible. But I want to make sure there is a droid alternative before I switch over.

bigkhan

Reaction score
I dont believe the stock app uses much data. Never measured it, but I do know that you dont need a data connection for it to continue to work. You must have a connection when you first route your trip, or for it to recalculate. But it works just with the satellite connection while tracking you. I know this for sure since I have used it several times where there is no data connection at all. How much could it use just loading the directions?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

bigkhan

Reaction score
Ok just tested it, planned a trip from Pennsylvania to Texas. I wanted a long trip, figured it would use more then a local trip. Total data usage was 145.5KB. And a local trip about 45 miles, used 71.6KB.

OP
J

jmsmackdown

Reaction score
Ok just tested it, planned a trip from Pennsylvania to Texas. I wanted a long trip, figured it would use more then a local trip. Total data usage was 145.5KB. And a local trip about 45 miles, used 71.6KB.

thank you

OP
J

jmsmackdown

Reaction score
Anyone have any suggestions that are similar to the way I described the iPhone TomTom app working?

basically its a big install (like over 1GB) but the maps are all downloaded already so it uses minimal data

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score

I'm pretty sure I remember reading last year that Maps went to vector-based graphics to optimize data usage and download speed. Your data usage seems consistent with that.

OP -- What's your intended goal? Do you not want any data usage at all? What's your ideal?

Even with the basic 2gb cap, you're talking less than 2kb/mile for local use (which provides the highest data use), you're looking at a 500+ miles of local use per megabyte. You burn more data than that syncing your e-mail every 3 hours and listening to a single song on Pandora. Taking a picture with your phone and e-mailing it uses twice that data. Assuming bigkhan's numbers are typical, 300mb will get you something like 150,000 miles of local driving.

If I were you, I'd stick with the Google version -- why lose all the advantages (traffic, latitude) to save a minimal amount of data each month?

If you're hung up on using an installed navigation app, then there are apps that do that -- I'm sorry I dont remember what they are, but I'm certain they exist.

Last edited:

stead2120

Reaction score
Tom Tom will be obselete in the next few years just because Google's Maps, Navigation, Places is seamlessly integrated onto Google Devices for free. Let me ask this question, when you purchase the Tom Tom app for the Iphone do you get unlimited map updates for free, or do you have to pay for them? This is one of the main reasons I will continue to roll with Droid. Iphone to me is a toy, Google Phones are more practical IMO. The day you purchase a Google Phone, you won't look back.

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
There use to be an app in the market that downloaded all images to the phone, making it possible to not use any data during navigation. You download area of maps while connected (wifi preferably) before the trip.
I forget which app it was, do a "GPS" search in the android market.

posted tomorrow using the space time continuum app on my D1...

stead2120

Reaction score
There use to be an app in the market that downloaded all images to the phone, making it possible to not use any data during navigation. You download area of maps while connected (wifi preferably) before the trip.
I forget which app it was, do a "GPS" search in the android market.

Wow, that's a pretty nice app!!!!

stead2120

Reaction score
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.sygic.aura

There's one, it actually downloads Tom Tom maps for offline use

I actually have a tom tom, but the maps are outdated on it, and it's just hanging out, i wish there was a way to load new maps or unlock and load some other mapping software, I know Tom Tom is made up of Linux.