Is there a App to make phone calls using Data instead of voice?

lffisher

Reaction score
I just installed fring to call over wifi

I have been able to use fring to call over wifi, and even used the Google Talk add-on to "call" a laptop. I verified it used wifi because I put the phone in airplane mode.

timrenzi573

Reaction score
OK, I seem to have sipdroid bound with my SIP Sorcery account...umm...how do I get it to work with Google Voice? I'm lost at this point, and the document didn't really seem to help.

I'm a bit clueless when it comes to this as I have never done it--I'm a quick learner with a little help though! :)

Edit: I fiddled around with this and seem to have it working--when I called my friend's phone with SIPDroid, I showed up as my Google Voice phone number. Now, since I only have WLAN selected as a calling option, the call was made over WiFi, correct? If I make an international call with my GV account linked like I have it to SIP Sorcery, will it use Google Voice's international rates?

Thanks again!

If the call goes through sipdroid, and all you have setup as a trunk is googlevoice, then yes. And if you only have wlan selected, it goes over wifi.

yeahbooy

Reaction score
ok it works internationally, but can I CALL FROM THE COUNTRY TO THE USA

If the call goes through sipdroid, and all you have setup as a trunk is googlevoice, then yes. And if you only have wlan selected, it goes over wifi.
Ok,
So you can get it to work internationally so that you can call from the United States to Europe or where ever else abroad. BUT, are you able to call FROM that country to the United States using the same system described above? This is the critical question for me.

Thank you in advance.

rfriel

Reaction score
airplane mode

I have been able to use fring to call over wifi, and even used the Google Talk add-on to "call" a laptop. I verified it used wifi because I put the phone in airplane mode.

airplane mode does not kill wifi?

Downr@nge

Reaction score
Thanks, I will look into it! :)

If you end up getting confused/frustrated, let me know and we can arrange some time where I can go and set it up for you (you can change your password in pbxes then change it back after) Good luck!

I have the same issue and am trying to figure this out before I leave the country next month. Assuming I make an account with smsdiscount, what rates am I looking at when traveling to the country Armenia and calling the US? The rates shown are as follows... (second rate includes VAT)

Armenia (Landline)0.055 0.065 Armenia (Mobile)0.085 0.101
are these the rates I should be looking at? Or should I be looking at the US rates? Would you be willing to help me set this up as well if I have any trouble? Thank you!!

**also, would my Google Voice account serve any useful purpose in all of this?

Google Voice routes calls through landlines first and IS DOES NOT work like VOiP.

techguru

Reaction score
yeahbooy, yes, once you are connected to a SIP provider, it is a data connection and it neither knows or cares where you are located. That being said, some WiFi providers, particularly free ones may block VOIP ports and prevent you from connecting or throttle your bandwidth so much that the quality of the connection is not useable for voice.

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
okay i tried setting up VoIP with sipgate, sipdroid, pbxes, sipsorcery and google voice. can't get incoming or outgoing calls to work on airplane mode w/ wifi...

outgoing rings about 10 times, then says "call cannot be completed. please try again later". and incoming doesn't come in at all.

Elric

Reaction score
I've successfully setup: Fring, Nimbuzz, and sipdroid for Wifi VoiP at this point (using GV, sipsorcery+Gizmo/IPKall/sipgate/others).... I have a similar issue to the OP where I have good WiFi but NO cell reception in my basement home office.

FWIW. I'm eliminating Fring (even though I really like it's GUI/features and calls from the handset sound really good), because the wired headset microphone is almost completely inaudible no matter what headset I use (I've tried about 5 :) )...

The Mic volume is somewhat weak but at least adequate on Nimbuzz and sipdroid has an actual gain setting for it. Nimbuzz supports Skype which is nice but I already have all the sipsorcery stuff sorted out so I'm currently using sipdroid as my preferred SIP tool specifically because of the mic setting.

If anyone knows a gain setting tool or tips on the wired mic volume let me know.

FYI: Bluetooth headsets do not work with Wifi-VoiP because WiFi clients use the media channel for the phone audio.