Is the internal mic supposed to complete shut off while headphones are connected?

Linus_

Reaction score
Is the internal mic supposed to completely shut off while headphones are connected?

Brand new verizon s4, Is anyone able to make phone calls through an AUX cable while driving? I can hear the caller, but the phones mic seems to become completely inactivated if there is ANY cable plugged into the 3.5mm jack. I tested another brand new aux cable, and while plugged in I can't use google voice at all, it just detects nothing.

Please let me know if this is as designed (can't imagine?) or if I have a defective brand new phone..

Thanks so much in advance.

Verizon Galaxy S4
completely stock, most recent update.

Neoart

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4 White SCH1545
I suspect for ears only - it knows it's for listening to media - vs headset with mic.
I'm betting the system is quite smart to know the difference.

OP
L

Linus_

Reaction score
I've been able to do this with every phone in the past 3-4 years that I've had, coming from a droid razr..

Surely some of you out there use an AUX cable to talk hands free through car speakers while driving?

I can hear them through the speakers, but they can't hear me no matter how close I speak. I'm choosing the mini phone icon shortcut that comes up under 'Recommended Apps' in the notification panel that automatically pops up after connecting an aux cable into the phone. I was just doing this with the razr maxx in the same car prior to upgrading to the S4.

Is there possibly a setting I'm missing? Does anyone use aux to talk through their car speakers?

Any input greatly appreciated once again..

Neoart

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4 White SCH1545
Surely some of you out there use an AUX cable
to talk hands free through car speakers while driving?
Any time I walk up to vehicle -
it pairs with it w/o any cable to talk/listen over speakers -
The phone never comes out of pocket to talk or music.

My GPS in other environments does the same with phone - BlueTooth is the only Connection.
Not sure why you have aux cable to stab into the vehicle.

OP
L

Linus_

Reaction score
Any time I walk up to vehicle -
it pairs with it w/o any cable to talk/listen over speakers -
The phone never comes out of pocket to talk or music.

My GPS in other environments does the same with phone - BlueTooth is the only Connection.
Not sure why you have aux cable to stab into the vehicle.

Believe it or not, there are still car stereos out there that don't support bluetooth, otherwise I wouldn't be in this situation. Shouldn't need to replace a stereo when there is an AUX port, that I have successfully used in this manner for years.. Thanks for your erudite response.

FoxKat.. help.. :\

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I have not used an aux cable to communicate over the car stereo. If the aux plug is 3 conductor, (tip, ring, sleeve), then there is no electrical connection for a mic. The phone should recognize this and the phone's microphone should be active. If however the aux cable has 4 conductors (tip, ring, ring, sleeve), then the phone will think there is a mic available via the cable and it will shut off the resident phone's mic.

Other than that I've not experienced a similar issue. Unfortunately like others here, I've not used a wired headset that either had or didn't have a mic during a call. All my headsets, in-ear, behind the neck and over the head, as well as the in-car radio head are Bluetooth A2DP so they support both media audio and phone support for both speakers and microphone. Like the other member above, my phone syncs to my car the moment I put the key in the ignition. If I was listening to music streaming the last time I was in the car, the phone starts up the stream where it left off and the music comes over the stereo. All calls in the car are 100% hands-free through the stereo.

Sorry. I'll try to research more but perhaps someone else can chime in with personal experience.

Neoart

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4 White SCH1545
Shouldn't need to replace a stereo when there is an AUX port,
that I have successfully used in this manner for years.
I've never seen the AUX port used for other than MP3 player purpose.

Otherwise there are decent Bluetooth stereo's w/o CD junk - much more compact - to upgrade the vehicle.
You'll obviously enjoy the tour handsfree - vs jacking in/out - which in the end - just gets dorked up.
Can always swap it out after.

Good Luck

brexroth

Reaction score
I'll do you one better than AUX - my car doesn't have an AUX input but does have a cassette deck so I hook my phone up through a cassette adapter! I am able to talk on the phone this way with the phone mic picking up my voice. Haven't had any problems with it. I will say that I do not choose any of the "recommended apps." I just plug in the adapter and go. This has worked properly on both my original S4 as well as a replacement S4.

Brian

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
Brand new verizon s4, Is anyone able to make phone calls through an AUX cable while driving? I can hear the caller, but the phones mic seems to become completely inactivated if there is ANY cable plugged into the 3.5mm jack. I tested another brand new aux cable, and while plugged in I can't use google voice at all, it just detects nothing.

Please let me know if this is as designed (can't imagine?) or if I have a defective brand new phone..

Thanks so much in advance.

Verizon Galaxy S4
completely stock, most recent update.

It may have everything to do with the cable you are using.
My GS4 keeps mic the available for calls when I have my headphones connected.
Forget the AUX cable for a minute and try it with some headphones.

OP
L

Linus_

Reaction score
It may have everything to do with the cable you are using.
My GS4 keeps mic the available for calls when I have my headphones connected.
Forget the AUX cable for a minute and try it with some headphones.

Confirmed- Just placed a test call with the stock earphones and was able to be heard. The 3.5mm aux male pin is the same (tip with 3 lines) as the aux cable I'm using in the car, which I could use with the razr successfully. Will test an additional cable soon..

Thanks for the input so far folks, I'll try to eliminate the cable as an issue if I can and report back.

OP
L

Linus_

Reaction score
I'll do you one better than AUX - my car doesn't have an AUX input but does have a cassette deck so I hook my phone up through a cassette adapter! I am able to talk on the phone this way with the phone mic picking up my voice. Haven't had any problems with it. I will say that I do not choose any of the "recommended apps." I just plug in the adapter and go. This has worked properly on both my original S4 as well as a replacement S4.

Brian

NICE! This gives me hope!
I tried ignoring the recommended apps shortcut and just going through the contacts/phone buttons, still no mic in the car.. going to try different cables. Does yours have a tip then 3 lines?

brexroth

Reaction score
NICE! This gives me hope!
I tried ignoring the recommended apps shortcut and just going through the contacts/phone buttons, still no mic in the car.. going to try different cables. Does yours have a tip then 3 lines?

Mine has only 2 lines.

Brian

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
tip-ring-sleeve.jpg

TIP-Ring-Sleeve pinout.jpg

tip-ring-ring-sleeve.jpg

tip-ring-ring-sleeve mic.jpg

ON this diagram, I believe the person who created this has the numbers on the left mixed up a bit. The one labeled 4 on the left does correspond to the Sleeve (4) on the right, but the other three are reversed, I believe. So the next one after 4 on the left should be 1 since it extends up through the middle all the way to the "Tip". Next would be 2 since it has to get past the "Sleeve - 4" and "Ring - 3), then would be 3 since it still has to get past the "Sleeve".

Don't know why but most graphics are not uploading.

I was trying to show the differences in pin-outs for headphones/headsets with two rings rather than just one.

I guess you'll have to click on the links.

bigmatt503

Reaction score
Droid dna here and while using Pandora I can answer calls and I here fine through the speakers and the mic does work without any sort off apps... Just plug the 3.5 in and I'm good to go..
also worked on my droid razr..

Sent from my ROOTED HTC DROID DNA - -

bigmatt503

Reaction score
Droid dna here and while using Pandora I can answer calls and I here fine through the speakers... the mic does work without any sort off apps... Just plug the 3.5 in and I'm good to go..
also worked on my droid razr..