No mic when using Aux out?

Oliver84

Reaction score
I want to use my Droid while driving and have the sound come out of the speakers. Since I have an '06 Tacoma I had to use an FM modulator to get a decent sound. It works great however when I get a phone call, the callers can't hear me unless I either put it on speaker (and the sound goes back to the phone's speaker) or unplug the Aux cable from the headphone jack.

Has anyone figured out a way to make this work? Is this a software issue or a hardware issue? I can "jimmy-rig" a cheap headset to make this work by using the headset mic, but if there's another way, I'd much rather that...

brucin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure
When I'm using the media player to listen to music and i get a call i answer it and put it back in my shirt pocket. i assume that the mic is picking up my voice and i hear the caller through the headphones. I've been told my voice sounds a little muffled.

I'm not sure why your set up does not work. The only thing i can think of would be some sort of feedback suppressing software built into the phone that mutes the mic. Since i use headphones the mic can't hear the phones speaker.

I'm going to try my aux input in my car stereo this week and will let you know how it works for me.

wil318466

Reaction score
I've had the same issue here. I wanted pretty much hands free talking/driving, as it seems you are looking for.

The problem is that the microphone built into the phone is too far away from your mouth. In my car I had the audio output going into my tapedeck (sounds great for music, internet radio, phone calls, whatever) but the person I'm speaking to can't hear me, because it was physically too far away (a foot and a half, maybe, mounted on my dashboard).

There was no easy way to fix it. The best option would be a bluetooth device with an FM transmitter AND a microphone built into it (Like the Jabra bluetooth speaker), but the issue there is that FM transmission pretty much sucks.

So, what we need to do is find a way to amplify the input (microphone) to the phone. I don't think there are many cheap options. What I've settled for is using the Jabra bluetooth speaker attached to my visor for phone calls, and the radio tape deck for everything else. Kinda sucks, but its not horrible. If I get a call I just take it, say "hold on" and reach up and turn the bluetooth on and speak through it.

If you have a better solution, please share because I'm looking for the same thing you are - being able to have a conversation without switching and the caller be able to hear my clearly.

-Wil

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I use the aux out all the time in the car and in the gym. The mic works perfectly in both instances. I am able to use the phone through the car speakers and the Droid mic picks up my voice. Not one complaint of voice quality. I'd look into it... the Droid CAN do this no problem.

OP
Oliver84

Oliver84

Reaction score
When the phone is on speaker, the mic is much more sensative. I wonder if there would be a way to put it on speaker but have the audio still come through the AUX jack??

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
When the phone is on speaker, the mic is much more sensative. I wonder if there would be a way to put it on speaker but have the audio still come through the AUX jack??

I just leave the aux jack plugged in.... mic picks up my voice fine from the dash mount.

OP
Oliver84

Oliver84

Reaction score
Does your plug have the standard 3 connector? I'm not sure what the difference is between your setup and mine. I don't get any mic at all and I have a standard 3 connector plug.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Does your plug have the standard 3 connector? I'm not sure what the difference is between your setup and mine. I don't get any mic at all and I have a standard 3 connector plug.

It's just a standard plug. In my car it's a Belkin FM tuner and for the gym it's a set of Sony inner-ear buds. Both allow the mic to work.... audio through the jack and Droid mic picks up my voice.

OP
Oliver84

Oliver84

Reaction score
Ok, I've tried it with multiple headphones and I still don't get any sound from the mic. None at all... would this be a software issue or could my phone be defective?

tbever

Reaction score
I have had this problem also but for whatever reason it has been intermittent, meaning sometimes the mike works when audio out is through the headphone jack and other times I have the problem you described. I am looking for a bluetooth adapter that does music a2dp and avrcp (I thnk those are correct). I have seen these on Crutchfield. I think they hook into the head unit's aux in jack and take calls and play audio. They have a separate mike for calls, similar to a BT headset. The only downside is that the car stereo has to stay on aux in or you lose the handsfree calling.

OP
Oliver84

Oliver84

Reaction score
Yea, I don't think bluetooth would work for me. I'd really like to figure out what's going on here. If it works on and off, would that mean that its a software issue? Has anyone use the headphone locale plug-in? I'm wondering if that let's you control the mic input...

crspang

Reaction score
I have a similar issue. Phone calls and music work great with an FM transmitter but the voice command search option does not pick up anything. I'm using the Moto car dock and a Belkin FM transmitter.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
to those of you with the mic not working... def talk to VZW about a possible replacement. If the mic isn't working in certain instances (as it should) it may only be a matter of time before it no longer works on phone calls, rendering the device useless as a phone.

I'd look into replacements. Your mic should work flawlessly with or without headphones in.

OP
Oliver84

Oliver84

Reaction score
Ok, I'm totally going to verizon to have my mic checked out then.

I've been doing a lot of research and I think wil318466's suggestion for bluetooth has got to be the best option. I disregarded it at first because I can't stand the horrible sound quality from FM transmitters but I've found some bluetooth receivers that connect directly to your car's stereo which should have better quality. I've found two that I really like.

Amazon.com: Dual BTM60 - Bluetooth hands-free module for car: Electronics
This one is the best by far. It's less than $50, has dual mic and really good noise canceling. The mic is also designed to be placed by your visor so it can pick up your voice really well. Best design by far, only problem is you have to have a compatible head unit... I'm sure there's a way to cut the connectors and rig it up some how but I'm not all that daring for $50 and my limited electrical knowledge...

So I settled with this one. Amazon.com: Kensington LiquidAUX Bluetooth Car Kit with Remote for Music Phones: Cell Phones & Service

It's not nearly as good quality as the BTM60 but I found it for $19.99 FS on buy.com so figured it'd be worth a shot. The problem isn't only the lower quality but the unit plugs into the cigarette lighter (to power the bluetooth) and they mic is right on the unit. Cigarette lighters aren't usually very close to your face, so I don't think the mic picks up your voice very good. It'd be nice to be able to extend the mic out and place it on your visor or something. For $20, I'm willing to open it up and see what's possible.

Either way, this seemed like the best solution for my Tacoma. I have installed a direct line in so once I get this bluetooth receiver I can connect the receiver to the line in and have a better hands free experience. I'd just have to get in my car and my phone would automatically connect to the bluetooth without me having to connect or plug anything in. The sound would come out of my car speakers and I wouldn't have to worry about the mic on my phone because I'd be using the mic on the receiver which does have a sort of noise cancelling feature (which may not be the best according to the reviews but what the heck). If anyone finds anything better, please share...