Is the ICS update good?

TechTinker

Reaction score
Flashbooting to ICS, RSD Lite troubles.

Hello everybody, so I have downloaded the ICS OTA update and have been holding it off the quite a while. I read all the issues, and some things that bothered me was especially the inverted gmail.

So I was thing I woulf jump ship tomorrow. (No more GB ;( ) I know theres many improvements that come with ICS. Just felt like it would be a mistake. ( I do love ICS and JB, I flash ICS roms, but sadly data
;(

So should I? or will ICS and JB roms be working soon with data / camera? Also.. Factory Reset, how would I do that right, with apps, text ect saved?

Last edited:

Benton

Reaction score
It depends on where you are, are currently running an ICS Rom? After an update to ICS your apps will be saved by your Google account and reloaded once ICS is updated to your device. I recommend downloading a text (SMS) backup app and saving all your SMS messages before performing a factory reset then re-loading the saved messages once you have updated. As a side to the text message, download a call log backup app and save your call log for restoring after ICS update in the same manner as saving the text messages mentioned above.

silverfang77

Reaction score
The biggest problem I had with ICS was battery drain, which was being caused by the DRM Protected Content service. If you're rooted and don't mind living without Google Play Movies, you can freeze that service in TitBu and the battery life will improve dramatically.

OP
T

TechTinker

Reaction score
It depends on where you are, are currently running an ICS Rom? After an update to ICS your apps will be saved by your Google account and reloaded once ICS is updated to your device. I recommend downloading a text (SMS) backup app and saving all your SMS messages before performing a factory reset then re-loading the saved messages once you have updated. As a side to the text message, download a call log backup app and save your call log for restoring after ICS update in the same manner as saving the text messages mentioned above.

1. I think I flashed one, but I'm on the stock ROM currently, and disabled root using Voodoo Root Keeper.
2. Alright, I just don't like restarting all my games. (ex: Factor reset) but if it means ICS will be better. ^.^
3. Check & Check, I got SMS Backup & Restore.

Ok, so I had to click the install later button (I had to use my device) is there a way to manually push it instead of waiting another day?

The biggest problem I had with ICS was battery drain, which was being caused by the DRM Protected Content service. If you're rooted and don't mind living without Google Play Movies, you can freeze that service in TitBu and the battery life will improve dramatically.

Do I need Titanium Backup (Pro) to do that? And yeah.. don't really use Google Play besides Apps and sometimes Books.

silverfang77

Reaction score
You would need Titanium Backup.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.

OP
T

TechTinker

Reaction score
Yes I have it I mean do I need the free or paid? I only have the free.

OP
T

TechTinker

Reaction score
Alright, don't have $7 really to throw towards it right now. Worse Battery life here I come. K im gonna install. ;)

Huffie86

Reaction score
You don't need Titbu to "freeze" apps there's a native option with ics. Long press till you can add it to the home screen then move up to the more options select app info and press disable.

silverfang77

Reaction score
That doesn't work with all software.

OP
T

TechTinker

Reaction score
ok a last question, I'm going to upgrade probably tonight. (To try the new kexec stuff) Honestly like the app drawer on the right instead of the center but ill live.

Is there another app that can freeze that DRM service? I have $7 but my market is linked to my moms card, and she believes that its a waste of money app, and wait a few months till another upgrade to fix the issues, yeah right like that'll ever happen anytime soon.
I do like the new ICS/JB redesigns.

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
ok a last question, I'm going to upgrade probably tonight. (To try the new kexec stuff) Honestly like the app drawer on the right instead of the center but ill live.

Is there another app that can freeze that DRM service? I have $7 but my market is linked to my moms card, and she believes that its a waste of money app, and wait a few months till another upgrade to fix the issues, yeah right like that'll ever happen anytime soon.
I do like the new ICS/JB redesigns.
dont freeze that DRM service you wont be able to change ringtones

OP
T

TechTinker

Reaction score
Oh wow, and which one is a ringtone again? If someone calls you and thats the music that plays, so the system ones don't change? I usually don't choose my own music, just the system ones. ?

And how long is the battery getting by?

silverfang77

Reaction score
I haven't had any trouble with my ringtones since freezing DRM.