Is the Droid 1 any good during international travel?

RenegadeX28

I'm headed to London later this year and I forget that Europe uses GSM instead of CDMA out there. I remember when I had go to Dominican Rep. earlier this year, they said it would be 1.99 a min and if I wanted data out there, they offered me a special data plan that month for 64.99. If not, it was gonna be 1.99 per mb which would definitely add up for a phone like the droid 1. Does anyone happen to know if the Droid 1 (AT least the data) would work in London?

darkmatter

Wasn't that the point of the droid2 global?

Anyway, id say find a voip that can work on wifi (like mangler..if you know of a vent server)

Best bet, imo, would be to buy a prepaid phone

mslal

I had zero luck with my unrooted Droid1 in any European country I visited in the past year - France, Switzerland, Austria, Germany, Ireland, Italy. Not even wifi

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Don't think it would work as you stated they use GSM already.

Probably gonna have to pick up a temporary prepaid phone if they got those.

paul7602

Wifi

I think you can go into airplane mode and use the skype from the market not the one that comes pre installed or thats what ive been told

BigMcGuire

I went to Peru twice in 2010. Yes, the Droid 1 worked there. However, it was almost $3/min. So 10 minutes of talking resulted in a $30 charge on my bill each trip. I just got one of those prepaid Telefonica phones at the airport. Much cheaper to bring your own unlocked phone and get a local sim card. Yes, used Sipdroid with my own voip to call home a lot via WiFi.