Traveling outside of Verizon's Nationwide Map - How do I prevent roaming?

DCMountaineer

Reaction score
I am taking off for the U.S. Virgin Islands and had a question for the board.

I contacted a Verizon Rep and they told me that Verizon roaming rates apply down there so I'll be subject to the $1.99/min roaming charge for voice. They also said that data will not work at all, so I should not be able to receive data what-so-ever.

The way she explained it seems pretty straightforward: If I answer calls or dial calls, I'll pay $1.99/min. Data will not be an issue because I don't have international capabilities.

Can anyone verify this from firsthand experience? I worry that all of my widgets will search to update and I'll be charged as a result.

And would placing the phone in "Airplane Mode" be a good idea, then turning it off when I need to place a call?

Milehighjc

Reaction score
I used airplane mode while I was in London - then turned on WIFI so that at least I could use data when I was in a wifi hotspot (no verizon charges).

If you can find a good wifi hotspot, you MAY even be able to use a voip app to make calls over wifi (example Fring). I didnt have luck with Fring in London, but I think it was because the WIFI provider was blocking VOIP. I was able to send IM's through Fring however.

jc

Hermes

Reaction score
How about this?

Go into Settings > Wireless & networks > Mobile networks

and uncheck "Data roaming"

and change "System select" to "Home only"

OP
D

DCMountaineer

Reaction score
How about this?

I saw that. My Data Roaming is already unchecked, so I think I am good there. As far as the "system select" goes, I have no idea what that means. How do they determine what 'Home' is?

Hermes

Reaction score
How about this?

I saw that. My Data Roaming is already unchecked, so I think I am good there. As far as the "system select" goes, I have no idea what that means. How do they determine what 'Home' is?
I'm pretty sure "Home only" is Verizon network only, meaning no roaming.

OP
D

DCMountaineer

Reaction score
Thanks. I think as long as I uncheck "Data Roaming", I should be fine.

funken

Reaction score
While we're on topic... how does Verizon work in Canada? Is there a way get a cheaper rate on calls and texts for a few days? Is there an extra charge for using 3G?

Hermes

Reaction score
System select

Here's an explanation from Verizon.

Answers to FAQs

Look at "Why is my roaming indicator on but I am not roaming?"

It states "Please note that selecting the "Home" or "Home Only" will disable your ability to roam and your phone will only work in your local home area."

Last edited:

smrivera80

Reaction score
How about this?

I just want to jump in here and say that if you switch your system to "home only" (definitely NOT recommended on national plans), you will not be able to roam anywhere outside your home area towers, that includes within the United States proper. The need to change to "home only" hasn't been there since the analog days, and this will inhibit you from making any voice calls away from home. Unchecking data roaming will have the same result, which is fine where you'll be travelling, but you won't be able to use data anywhere outside your home area if that selection is turned off.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
As a side note, of you change to HOME ONLY, do that only when you are ready to leave because if you leave your home SID you will have no service either.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Hermes

Reaction score
I had a similar experience when I was near the Canadian border in Maine. I noticed I was roaming so I changed the system select to "home only" and when I did that the roaming stopped and I picked up another cell site from Verizon.

Just be aware that in case of an emergency and you don't have a signal to change it back to "automatic B" so you can pick up Any available cell site signal.