Is the Droid / VZW useless for a World Traveler?

mapexvenus

Reaction score
ok, I must admit that I did not know that I was going to be doing a lot of international travel when I bought my Droid and switched to VZW from ATT.

I have been informed to expect a reasonable about of international travel this year (Europe & India) and realized that I will not be able to carry my beloved Droid when I travel.

I love Android and do not want to have to switch back to ATT / iPhone. What are my options? Should I switch to T-Mobile and get the N1?

Guchi

Reaction score
ya since its cdma it pretty much is

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
No SIM card in the N1 either. So you will be in the same boat.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score

StupidGenius

Reaction score
The Droid is CDMA-only, so it is mostly useless overseas. You can get worldmode loaners from VZW by the way.

Will the loaners have data + voice? I need to be able to access my corporate email.

If that's what you require, I would assume so. I personally have never done this so it would be best to go to your nearest VZW store. There's also a Verizon tech guy with a thread on this forum. perhaps he could help.

Off topic: Hey CK, Thanks to you I became a SENIOR DROID today, with a reply to you.

Thanks Man!!! :icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

OP
M

mapexvenus

Reaction score
No SIM card in the N1 either. So you will be in the same boat.

No SIM card in the N1 from T-Mobile?? Also, is the N1 on T-Mobile a world phone?

Only the N1 for Verizon will be SIM cardless, the unlocked phone has a SIM slot and so does the T-Mobile one.

So what this means is that if I want to use a world phone and want to stick with a cutting-edge Android device then my only option is to go with N1 + T-Mobile?

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
No SIM card in the N1 from T-Mobile?? Also, is the N1 on T-Mobile a world phone?

Only the N1 for Verizon will be SIM cardless, the unlocked phone has a SIM slot and so does the T-Mobile one.

So what this means is that if I want to use a world phone and want to stick with a cutting-edge Android device then my only option is to go with N1 + T-Mobile?

Or wait to see which Android phones AT&T releases. They have said they will be carrying a few Android phones this year.