Is the DB right for me?

dparm

Reaction score
OG Droid owner. Got it on release date. Loved the awesome build quality and have always been a Moto guy. At this point the OG Droid is showing its age and I'd like to take advantage of LTE and the bigger screen.

I eventually rooted my OG Droid but only for "fun". I never really found many ROMs I liked; Gingerbread is still a mediocre experience on this phone. I definitely prefer vanilla Android. Biggest concern is call quality and RF performance, and reliability/build quality. Not much of a gamer, only use a few apps for checking bus times, Wikipedia, and maybe Pandora on occasion.

I know the Prime and HD are coming but there's always something on the horizon so I'm not playing that game.

Would you say the DB is right for me? Locked bootloader = who cares (IMO) since I am not really needing to load custom ROMs and other things, though that's how Vanilla Android will have to happen. If ICS is made available for the Bionic (officially) that'd be pretty cool. Don't wanna be stuck on GB forever.

pri0rity

Reaction score
Coming from someone who upgraded from an OG Droid, I'll tell you what I took in consideration when upgrading.

1) My 2-year plan ended late August and as you stated earlier, my OG Droid was showing its age. If you're eligible for an upgrade, I would consider it. If not, I would wait until your plan has expired and consider the phones coming out around that time (or existing).
2) To take advantage of video calling and some features, you need 4g. If you area has 4g or will be getting it within the next few months, I would consider it. Otherwise, you may want to speak with your local representative to determine when they believe they will have 4g coverage, unless you plan on traveling outside of your living area a lot to take advantage of it.
3) One reason I bought the OG Droid was not just because of the Android OS, but the physical keyboard. After experiencing the haptic material of the Bionic (only during the keyboard, not other interactions), I was pleased with the transition.

I can't think of anymore consideration at the moment, but hopefully these will help you make a decision.

OP
dparm

dparm

Reaction score
I am upgrade eligible. I am in downtown Chicago with good 4G coverage.

I had an iPhone for years prior to the OG Droid so I am fine with an on-screen keyboard.

vmspionage

Reaction score
I went from OG to DB myself. As a heavy modder I'm certain that this phone will get similar community support as the OG, which was a big selling factor for me. I have mixed feelings about the bigger screen, and so far what I miss most is the keyboard. But overall I'm very happy and I don't have one ounce of buyer's remorse. The speed is simply awesome, even compared to my 1.2ghz OG. Unfortunately our area doesn't have 4G service quite yet but I've heard a rumor that it's getting turned on October 1st. I debated waiting for the next phone, but I can't see them coming out with anything that I would really need. 4G and dual core were the main requirements. And you're right, there is always going to be something better. So it just came down to, is the DB a phone I could live with for 2 years?

Yup.

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
I've had many Android fones and just got my hands on a bionic and am not looking back! Even the stock UI is ok! Fast, stable, great battery life, beautiful screen, everything I've wanted and nothing but some bloat ware I'll ditch eventually! Even in 3g its faster and more responsive than my X2 !

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums