is the camera fixed by using a different camera app?

doomzmaster

Reaction score
I keep hearing one of the biggest problems with the Droid 3 is the blue camera tint which is also one of the only things keeping me from choosing this phone because I don't carry a camera around but I love taking random pics of things with my phone. I currently have an iphone 4 so I want something that can at least take pictures on par with that. Should I look elsewhere or does a different camera app take care of the pictures? If anyone who has experience using different apps could show me a difference that would be cool too. I tried messing around with the phone at Verizon today for about an hour but its hard to take good pictures in the store

JohnnyS101

Reaction score
I use camera360 and the pictures look beautiful, the issues with the stock camera will be solved in the next update so definantely get this phone

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
D

doomzmaster

Reaction score
I use camera360 and the pictures look beautiful, the issues with the stock camera will be solved in the next update so definantely get this phone

Hate to be a pain but could you just take a quick pic with the stock and then with the camera360 so I could compare :D

Fr33dom

Reaction score

Where did you get that the next update was going to fix the camera?

droidingit

Reaction score

I have to disagree completely.

The Camera360 App and the normal default camera look exactly the same.

I took pictures with each, flash and no flash, and compared the two, and for both of them with flash they look completely blue. Not only that, but for both of them without flash the colors look washed out. The camera is awful.

Maverick0984

Reaction score

I took pictures with each, flash and no flash, and compared the two, and for both of them with flash they look completely blue. Not only that, but for both of them without flash the colors look washed out. The camera is awful.

That's because you're using it wrong. Problem is between your ears.

Stock
C360_2011-07-3111-47-00.jpg

Camera 360 Free w/ Fluorescence mode
C360_2011-07-3111-46-45.jpg

Stop giving people wrong information because you don't know how to use your phone. The camera is absolutely fine, it is all in the software, which should be updated hopefully.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Stock

Stop giving people wrong information because you don't know how to use your phone. The camera is absolutely fine, it is all in the software, which should be updated hopefully.

Agreed(minus how your post came across rude). Camera360 helps out a lot. In no way is it the same as the stock camera.

Maverick0984

Reaction score
Agreed(minus how your post came across rude). Camera360 helps out a lot. In no way is it the same as the stock camera.

It came off rude on purpose because of his blind hate when it's really just ignorance. :)

droidingit

Reaction score

Stock

Wow, absolutely no need to be insanely rude.

It's not about not knowing "how to use your phone," it's about the problems that the phone has from the very beginning. Your picture looks great, yes -- but now I have to play around with settings each and every time to get a decent looking photo in some 3rd party app?

OK, so right now I am inside my house, under incandescent light trying to take a picture.

In the Camera360 app, going into Normal Mode, then going into settings to toggle between Auto/Sunlight/Dark/Fluorescence/Illuminator/Incandescent/Cloudy/Shade...

They all appear yellow. With flash, under Auto it comes out with a blue tint, and under the other settings they look yellowish and unnatural...

So what am I doing wrong, without being rude please?

spillner

Reaction score

Stock

I've been going through this program and I don't see florescent mode. My pictures look identical with both the stock and this app. Please tell me how you were able to change the picture. Thanks

Maverick0984

Reaction score

It's not about not knowing "how to use your phone," it's about the problems that the phone has from the very beginning. Your picture looks great, yes -- but now I have to play around with settings each and every time to get a decent looking photo in some 3rd party app?

OK, so right now I am inside my house, under incandescent light trying to take a picture.

In the Camera360 app, going into Normal Mode, then going into settings to toggle between Auto/Sunlight/Dark/Fluorescence/Illuminator/Incandescent/Cloudy/Shade...

They all appear yellow. With flash, under Auto it comes out with a blue tint, and under the other settings they look yellowish and unnatural...

I just leave it on Fluorescence and everything is pretty darn good. All we're doing here is showing that it is a software issue, and not a "camera" issue. It saves whatever setting I was using last so I never have to go back in and change settings after that.

If you add negativity to a thread, expect negativity back. That's all.

Incandescent light *is* yellow. Are you expecting the camera to inject color into it? Sure, you can do that with post processing, but no camera is magic.

droidingit

Reaction score
I've been going through this program and I don't see florescent mode. My pictures look identical with both the stock and this app. Please tell me how you were able to change the picture. Thanks

Spillner, the setting is located after you select a mode.

In the top right corder you will see a spokes/tools icon. Click on it to expand the menu, then click on the Auto button, which opens up the White Balance Setting.

Can you please try it out to see if you see a good, positive change?

Maverick0984

Reaction score

In the upper right hand corner of the app, there is a settings button which expands to give you more settings. There are 8 icons to push, including the settings button itself once you expand this.

The "White Balance Setting" is the 3rd from the left, and defaults with "Auto." Change it to Fluorescence, not Florescent.

droidingit

Reaction score

I just leave it on Fluorescence and everything is pretty darn good. All we're doing here is showing that it is a software issue, and not a "camera" issue. It saves whatever setting I was using last so I never have to go back in and change settings after that.

Incandescent light *is* yellow. Are you expecting the camera to inject color into it? Sure, you can do that with post processing, but no camera is magic.

So if you are in a normally lit room, and you have the setting on Normal Mode, then Fluorescence under White Balance Settings, it looks good to you, not yellow?

I don't know if it is technically incandescent light or not, it is a normally lit room, where the color on the white walls does not seem yellow, but it looks white. If I take it with Auto, the pictures comes out white with a blue tint, and under the other modes it just looks a lot more yellow than what is actually there.

Maverick0984

Reaction score

So if you are in a normally lit room, and you have the setting on Normal Mode, then Fluorescence under White Balance Settings, it looks good to you, not yellow?

I don't know if it is technically incandescent light or not, it is a normally lit room, where the color on the white walls does not seem yellow, but it looks white. If I take it with Auto, the pictures comes out white with a blue tint, and under the other modes it just looks a lot more yellow than what is actually there.

Your normal, everyday light bulb is incandescent light and gives off a yellow/orange hue. This is generally a warmer/softer feel.

Fluorescent light gives off a blue hue. This is generally more harsh, and allows imperfections to be seen easier in a person's complexion for example.

I know you can get specialty bulbs for certain kinds of situations that emit warmer colors, like say, red, for a candlelight dinner with your lady or something. Almost all light gives off a secondary color. It is actually the point of the white balance setting on your camera.