Is the Bionic Worth it?

solo88

Reaction score
I love this phone. Best i ever had had...my history- BB Storm, OG Droid, Droid X, Droid Charge, now Bionic. The Bionic blows the Charge out of the water! If that was Samsungs best offer at that time...the Nexus will have alot of issues then. Screen was nice..and camera was good...but very very slow...no gps...froze up constantly....whew...so glad i have this phone. Got the update this morning...on medium use..my battery is at 40%....still going strong. Tbis phone has a great build...looks great ...super fast..and i mean fast....no data drops...best phone ever. I would personally like a bigger screen...but i would like a 5+ inch screen personally. So u cannot go wrong. Get one!!!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Maybe you need to factory reset. From what I have been reading the ota has fixed most peoples issues. I am between 3g and 4g multiple times a week, no data drops since update.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

solo88

Reaction score
Omg..i almost forgot...the desktop app that u can use with the phone...is bad ass!!!! I take my lapdock to work and everyone is in awe of this phone! If u dont ever use the desktop app...u arent unleashing half of this phone's magic!!! Galaxy Nexus cant do that!!!!! Plus...cheap Samsung build....no thanks! I dont see alot of people talk about the desktop app...so maybe not that many people use it.....i guarantee if the icrap had a desktop app...it would be all over the tv....but it doesnt. Moto hit a homerun with this one!!!!! Awesome!!!

Concistency

Reaction score
I had the original Droid also when it came out. I've had the Bionic sense it came out, amazing phone, significant changes sense then with specs, etc. Well worth it, wish I could have gotten it for the price it is now. The reason I wouldn't want the RAZR is because I'm a person who hates cases and the RAZR is way too thin, I'm not a huge fan of the RAZR's design. But I know that's probably the battle your facing if your buying a new phone.

dlo-htown

Reaction score
Maybe you need to factory reset. From what I have been reading the ota has fixed most peoples issues. I am between 3g and 4g multiple times a week, no data drops since update.

Hmmm,... curious... how many factory resets would you say it needs before it starts working right? (Since you're obviously assuming I haven't tried all the well known steps to try and get it to work)

I wonder if those of y'all who say you had data dropouts were really experiencing the real data dropout problem and are mistaking your phone's inability to pick up a signal because it's just plain flat out weak, because that would explain a lot better why a lot of folks that have the problem are saying it didn't fix it.

Yours may have just got better because the signal just got better and your phone grabbed it, and has nothing to do with the loss of data connection even though there's at least a strong 3g signal but the phone just doesn't grab it, but someone else with a different Verizon phone has a solid data connection.

I bet that's it.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hmmm,... curious... how many factory resets would you say it needs before it starts working right? (Since you're obviously assuming I haven't tried all the well known steps to try and get it to work)

I wonder if those of y'all who say you had data dropouts were really experiencing the real data dropout problem and are mistaking your phone's inability to pick up a signal because it's just plain flat out weak, because that would explain a lot better why a lot of folks that have the problem are saying it didn't fix it.

Yours may have just got better because the signal just got better and your phone grabbed it, and has nothing to do with the loss of data connection even though there's at least a strong 3g signal but the phone just doesn't grab it, but someone else with a different Verizon phone has a solid data connection.

I bet that's it.

If you don't have better signal after the update then idk what is wrong....sounds like you need to have Verizon replace your phone because it is acting atypical. The phones signal is not weak at all and its radio is one of the best on the market. It sux that u could have a dud phone, but you probably do. Get a new one.

dlo-htown

Reaction score
If you don't have better signal after the update then idk what is wrong....sounds like you need to have Verizon replace your phone because it is acting atypical. The phones signal is not weak at all and its radio is one of the best on the market. It sux that u could have a dud phone, but you probably do. Get a new one.

Two dud phones in a row? Umm... No.

And no matter how hard you try to make it sound like I'm the only one with this problem, I'm not. Motorola simply doesn't jump into software patch mode for just a few dud phones, they have acknowledged there is a widespread problem with data drop outs on the Bionics. Not only that, but the current OTA patch is well documented as NOT having fixed the data dropout problem.

If you don't know anything about the problem, you shouldn't be commenting on it, really.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Two dud phones in a row? Umm... No.

And no matter how hard you try to make it sound like I'm the only one with this problem, I'm not. Motorola simply doesn't jump into software patch mode for just a few dud phones, they have acknowledged there is a widespread problem with data drop outs on the Bionics. Not only that, but the current OTA patch is well documented as NOT having fixed the data dropout problem.

If you don't know anything about the problem, you shouldn't be commenting on it, really.

Ok guys this is getting out of hand. dlo, you've been here before and had this same argument time and time again. Didn't you say you were changing phones or something? People arguing with dlo, just give up. I'm pretty sure phones are sent out in batches, and people get phones from bad batches, not a bad phone from the entire inventory. Some people swear to have issues, while the vast majority don't. Pretty common on all phones. Same thing might have happened on my X2, though it was more like some people got good batches...So if this is the case he clearly got a bad batch phone and has issues, thus he has the right to be pissed off. No, most people DON'T have these issues. You're both right and wrong. Unquote.

dlo-htown

Reaction score
Ok guys this is getting out of hand. dlo, you've been here before and had this same argument time and time again. Didn't you say you were changing phones or something? People arguing with dlo, just give up. I'm pretty sure phones are sent out in batches, and people get phones from bad batches, not a bad phone from the entire inventory. Some people swear to have issues, while the vast majority don't. Pretty common on all phones. Same thing might have happened on my X2, though it was more like some people got good batches...So if this is the case he clearly got a bad batch phone and has issues, thus he has the right to be pissed off. No, most people DON'T have these issues. You're both right and wrong. Unquote.

Hehe. The only thing that's out of hand is that here comes another Zealot rushing to defend the Bionic from the hateful trolls that only want to drag the Holy Bionic name through the mud.

I swear, some of you think that the world revolves around droidforums and that whatever gets posted on here is the only true representation of the world. You go on made up facts by people that have talked with supposed quad-level, ultra-stealth squad undercover tech super managers, and swallow every pro-Bionic fact on faith because the Holy Bionic can do no wrong.

Dude, the phones have problems, plain and simple. If you want to love the Bionic, good for you, I'm not hating on you or calling you a troll for loving this phone. But good god man, it's just a phone, not your girlfriend, you don't have to jump in and defend it's honor and any slightest insult to it.

Maybe you should grow up? Sheesh!!

mantispid

Reaction score
I've loved the Bionic so far. I was about to upgrade to a Galaxy Nexus from the Bionic, until I gave the Nexus a test run. I need my phones to have LOUD speakers. The Bionic has an incredibly loud speaker, so you won't miss that wake-up alarm, or any calls. The Nexus is about half as loud... it has a rather weak speaker.

The Bionic doesn't have the best display out there, but it is pretty good. It's also quite snappy and has very good brightness. One of my other issues with the Nexus is that the screen brightness was pretty pathetic. Max brightness isn't quite sufficient for full daylight use.

And for the price, the Bionic is an incredible deal.

Oh, there is one annoying thing about the Bionic... The headphone jack has some sort of shielding problem to where one can hear a bit of a high-pitched whine whenever the sound processor plays something. The intensity and tone of this whine varies from individual phone to individual phone... some are barely noticeable, some are rather loud. Motorola has stated that recent updates fix this problem, but I haven't seen an improvement. There is a workaround that seems to kill the whine completely, and that's using a pair of headphones equipped with a volume attenuation slide/knob/etc.. Just a slight amount of attenuation will completely filter the whine. I recommend Zagg Smartbuds. Their sound quality is excellent, besides.

Knowpig

Reaction score
Dlo-
Just curious what area you are in. I tend to think it could be a phone issue, could be better I'm other markets issue. I am in SoCal and looking hard at this phone for the wife. Cheaper than the new ones.
Are you in SoCal? Large or small market area?

Posted with my thought to text Liquid Droid2.

dlcramer

Reaction score

My data drops were while sitting in the same spot and being online with full bars. Take a call and not have 3g or 4g after. Installed the OTA this morning and a few hours is not enough time for a true evaluation but i have purposely switched back and forth with wifi as well today and the antenna has found a signal each time. It is slower than i would like picking up 3g but wifi and 4g were found in less than 10 seconds.

To OP. My suggestion is go mess around with all your options in a VZ store and make your selection that way. If you rely on someone elses opinion and are not happy...who do you blame? BTW even with the problems I have loved mine since I got it. ;)

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dlo-
Just curious what area you are in. I tend to think it could be a phone issue, could be better I'm other markets issue. I am in SoCal and looking hard at this phone for the wife. Cheaper than the new ones.
Are you in SoCal? Large or small market area?

Posted with my thought to text Liquid Droid2.

I believe Dlo lives in the great state of Texas (no sarcasm intended).

I live in San Diego, CA, one of the first cities to get 4G. Data comes and goes inside my house, but is more 4G when I go outside. Got the update, but really didn't notice any changes in terms of data. The camera seems to be faster, though.

dlo-htown

Reaction score
I believe Dlo lives in the great state of Texas (no sarcasm intended).

I live in San Diego, CA, one of the first cities to get 4G. Data comes and goes inside my house, but is more 4G when I go outside. Got the update, but really didn't notice any changes in terms of data. The camera seems to be faster, though.

Yes that's correct. I'm in Houston, or more accurately just outside Houston call Katy.

Houston has very strong 4g signal but out in Katy it's not that strong. Inside my house the 4g signal comes and goes... but 3g is usually pretty solid. It seems the phone still can't switch back and forth between 4g and 3g reliably, and even after the ota update, the phone still drops data. But often times when I'm using my navigation app even in Houston, the data connection will drop and the map stops updating. Pretty random.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
After the update data drops are virtually non existent for me. I think it is somewhat location based, not sure how it will go for OP. Battery is good after update. Phone history: D1>Fascinate>Inc2>Bionic. Bionic is the best so far, I will never buy another Samsung again but thats just my bias.

I have been debating between the Inc2 for free at BB and the Bionic for $120 at Sam's Club. I don't download movies or any other high data things, so 3G is probably fine for me. Like the Droid that I got 2 years ago, I tend to keep my phones for 2 years and wonder if I will be more happy with the Bionic over that time. We don't have LTE yet, but it is thought that we will get it in 2012. I don't want to spend $300 for the Rezound or Nexis.