Is the App closed or still running?

izzysmom

Reaction score
Stupid question of the day....On many of my apps - I'm not sure if I've CLOSED them before switching to something else...and I'm not 100% sure how to easily tell.

I see lots of posts about running multiple apps at once etc...and I'm not sure if I'm doing it or not...when I'm done with the browser for example...do I just use the home button to close and return to the main screen? And if I wanted to leave the browser running...but switch to something else for a second...what steps do I follow then?

I know that leaving something up & running can eat the battery....there are so many apps I want to check out...and there's so much to LEARN....

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
It's there, but not running....If it's used again it's ready, if the device needs memory it will unload the app.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The browser is a good example. Open it, navigate to a page. Let it load. click the home button on the phone. Go to the market. Search for an app and view its details. Hold down the home button and you get a list of the last few apps you used. Select the browser and its right on the same webpage you last were on. It wasn't running prior to selecting it, it is just sitting there. Long-press the homekey again and go back to the market to see you are where you were. click the home key to go back to your desktop. Click the browser icon and you still are on that same webpage. Welcome to multi-tasking 101, piece of cake, Droid Does.

OP
I

izzysmom

Reaction score
The browser is a good example. Open it, navigate to a page. Let it load. click the home button on the phone. Go to the market. Search for an app and view its details. Hold down the home button and you get a list of the last few apps you used. Select the browser and its right on the same webpage you last were on. It wasn't running prior to selecting it, it is just sitting there. Long-press the homekey again and go back to the market to see you are where you were. click the home key to go back to your desktop. Click the browser icon and you still are on that same webpage. Welcome to multi-tasking 101, piece of cake, Droid Does.

So in this example -- the apps arent running...they're just quickly available from the last spot I used them...
by example - what would be an app that I navigate away from that would still be running....

Paul1201

Reaction score
Pandora - It continues to play music off the net as you move to another app. I start Pandora then open SportyPal when I run. Pandora is streaming music off the net and SportyPal pulls down map data and runs the GPS to track my workout.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Pandora - It continues to play music off the net as you move to another app. I start Pandora then open SportyPal when I run. Pandora is streaming music off the net and SportyPal pulls down map data and runs the GPS to track my workout.

Good examples, but I think the OP was probably interested in apps that continue to run (not just sit in memory) after you've left and you don't have any indication (such as music) that they're running.

And there are such apps. If they were well designed they would provide the option for a user to close them, but some are not. A good way to find them is to download System Panel and look for apps that continue to pile up cpu cycles after you leave them. Some (like Pandora) will be obvious and useful (Note that Pandora, for example, has an explicit "quit" option). Others may not be as well designed. If that's the case, this is either one of the very few cases where a task killer is useful (such as System Panel's) or a clue that the app should be uninstalled.

OP
I

izzysmom

Reaction score
Thanks for explainations - that helps clear up a lot of questions. And I appreciae the suggestions. I'll check out System Panel. So many apps...so little time....