How do you "close" a program in Droid?

saobi

Reaction score
For example, when I'm done playing a song in Droid, and I want to close the music player so that it doesn't take up CPU, how do I do it? I can only pause a song, and then hit the Home button to go to other applications, leaving the Music Player process running (you can tell by going to Applications->Running Services). In this sense, I just paused my song and went back to the desktop, but not really closing the music player.

jasonb

Reaction score
most programs don't really get closed. the Android OS is smart enough to kill apps when needed.

bottom line, don't worry to much about it. you can get a task killer, but they are really not needed. my phone runs smoother without one.

Tabs

Reaction score
For example, when I'm done playing a song in Droid, and I want to close the music player so that it doesn't take up CPU, how do I do it? I can only pause a song, and then hit the Home button to go to other applications, leaving the Music Player process running (you can tell by going to Applications->Running Services). In this sense, I just paused my song and went back to the desktop, but not really closing the music player.

The program gets suspended when you move away from it, it doesn't take up CPU. Android holds it in memory if there's any free so that it will come back up fast when you launch it again. If the OS needs the memory for something else, it will clear the program on its own to do that. This isn't like Windows where you close down programs. Don't buy into the task killer app myths, it makes the phone run worse because you lose that suspended program cache feature. Having a bunch of free memory is useless if it's not doing anything to help speed up the phone.

snowman

Reaction score
I'm with Jason but there is
Advanced Task Killer
in Apps

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
No reason to close it. The Android OS will reclaim any resources it's using (true for any other app also).

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Stay clear of ATK (Advanced Task 'Killer') there are a lot problems with it conflicting with various programs and destabilizing the phone. IF you feel you really need on use Advance Task Manager. In addition to having a few more options (and IMHO a nicer layout) it 'plays nice' with everything else and doesn't seem to interfere as much (especially with Home Screen Replacements).

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
If an app can be closed there will be an option in the menu (like xScope, for example).

Woggy64

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
Woggy64
Ok, newbie (again) here. I was using Google Maps to nav to a meeting. While walking into the building, the GPS commands were still going off on my Droid X. I had to power it off then back on. Even though I hit the home key/button, the little blue arrow stayed in the tray....I need to know how to shut this down once I get to my next call without doing the power off/on routing.

Nice thing is this Droid downs and powers up fast...unlike the Storm it replaced.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This about task killers: The android operating system is nothing like Windows/Palm/RIM/Etc. Android loads apps in memory so they will be immediately available when you need them. Let me stress, these apps are not "running" in the sense that programs run when started in Windows. They are simply sitting in memory. You don't have to worry about them, as they do no harm just staying in memory until needed. If android needs additional memory, it will remove whatever needs to be removed in order to have the amount of memory it requires. Forget about watching how much free memory you have because it changes as the operating systems needs change. Delete any task killer the idiot Verizon reps convinced you to install, or that they installed. Killed apps will, in most cases, be put right back in memory by android.
The above applies to apps that haven't been "closed" also. If the developer deems them to need closing, an exit or close button will be provided. Otherwise they stop drawing power and cpu cycles when you move on to another screen.

Reaction score
Ok, newbie (again) here. I was using Google Maps to nav to a meeting. While walking into the building, the GPS commands were still going off on my Droid X. I had to power it off then back on. Even though I hit the home key/button, the little blue arrow stayed in the tray....I need to know how to shut this down once I get to my next call without doing the power off/on routing.

Nice thing is this Droid downs and powers up fast...unlike the Storm it replaced.

Next time make your own topic

But the program is still running Navigation when you hit home cause say if you got a text or needed to check your gmail, its inconvenient to close the navi app and then miss your turn or whatever.

But to stop it after you reach your destination, before closing it hit the menu button and then hit exit navigation. Then you can go on without worry

Woggy64

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
Woggy64

Next time make your own topic

But the program is still running Navigation when you hit home cause say if you got a text or needed to check your gmail, its inconvenient to close the navi app and then miss your turn or whatever.

But to stop it after you reach your destination, before closing it hit the menu button and then hit exit navigation. Then you can go on without worry

Sorry. I thought this was on topic since it was about closing an app.