Enabling inline mic button skip song function

winterforge

Reaction score
My friend has an iPhone and some earbuds with an inline mic. The button on the inline mic does several things. Press once, it pauses the music or when an incoming call is received it answers the call. Double press and it skips to the next song. Triple press and it goes back to the previous song.

On my Droid with the same earbuds, I only have the press once to pause song or answer call option. The skip forward to next song, and go back to previous song functions do not work at all. I have a rooted Droid, is there any rooted trick or vanilla Market app that will enable the same functionality with the earbuds that my friend enjoys?

slinky

Reaction score
problem - only start stop is usable and, if you are in another player, pressing the button starts the default media player too...

OP
winterforge

winterforge

Reaction score
Is this something they could fix in an OTA update, or will the Droid never be able to use the earbud inline mic button the same way the iPhone does? I'm guessing lawsuit-happy Apple would claim they have the patent on that functionality also?

slinky

Reaction score
Is this something they could fix in an OTA update, or will the Droid never be able to use the earbud inline mic button the same way the iPhone does? I'm guessing lawsuit-happy Apple would claim they have the patent on that functionality also?

Apple has a patent on one button functionality. As a result, other developers must program their software so that forwarding or rewinding a song results in a pattern of several long and short button presses. Apple's invention of pressing the button twice to rewind a song is probably as grounds breaking and non-obvious as inventing the polio vaccine.