Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
My screen on time up to 9 hours. Anytime up to 10 hours. I'm using S7 edge

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk
I don't know how you can achieve that much screen on time with normal use.

Only way I can think of for that, and I'm not even sure it's tracked, but maybe if you use Ultra Power Saving Mode.

OP
T

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
Just still wondering how fast the phone is supposed to charge while you use it

OP
T

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
You might be right. Maybe I'm looking too into it. Social media apparently takes up a **** ton of battery. I was on instagram for a few minutes and this is what I'm looking at right now.
Screenshot_20161115-093637.png

OP
T

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
I usedmy friend's samsung charger so I'm hoping I didn't damage the phone. I feel like my battery got ruined the last time I used a different charger.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
There are alot of factors into whatever you use your phone for. Social media apps tend to take up alot battery due to refreshing in the background. That screenshot you posted isn't completely accurate in regards to how much social media apps drain battery. We don't know how bright your screen was, types of photos (amount of detail, and therefore pixels being used), whether you were on Wifi or data, and how many photos you went through during your few minutes on instagram.

Your device seems to be working as it should.

OP
T

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
There are alot of factors into whatever you use your phone for. Social media apps tend to take up alot battery due to refreshing in the background. That screenshot you posted isn't completely accurate in regards to how much social media apps drain battery. We don't know how bright your screen was, types of photos (amount of detail, and therefore pixels being used), whether you were on Wifi or data, and how many photos you went through during your few minutes on instagram.

Your device seems to be working as it should.
You're right, I didn't really post any exact measurements, but yea the phone seems fine aside from those concerns. I'm starting to wonder if rarely actually turning off your smartphone is an issue? It's usually either in standby with the screen off or on a charger at night. Does anyone know if I should just be turning my phone off at night instead???

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
You're right, I didn't really post any exact measurements, but yea the phone seems fine aside from those concerns. I'm starting to wonder if rarely actually turning off your smartphone is an issue? It's usually either in standby with the screen off or on a charger at night. Does anyone know if I should just be turning my phone off at night instead???
These devices are meant to be left on and used throughout the day, smartphone manufacturers know this and plan for it. If you leave it on the charger at night, once it gets to 100% there's a safeguard where your phone stops charging and just send enough power into your phone to maintain it at 100%.

Manufacturers are also aware that many people tend to use chargers that weren't packaged with their device, or even have the same type of charger. I've been using an Anker multi-USB hub to charge my various devices and all are fine. Even manufacturers of third party chargers have built in safeguards and are also aware that most devices require certain voltage and amps, which are monitored by the tech in the charger to optimize for different devices.

You can turn your phone off at night, which is completely your choice, but your use and battery life will remain the same once your phone is turned back on. It can be good practice to restart your phone every few days to clear the cache and stop any "rogue" apps from running in the background, or you can do it manually with various cache clearing apps.

Again, I think you're thinking way too much into this. Screen time varies by so many different factors that no two people are going to have the same screen time even if they have the same phone. App usage, screen brightness, signal quality, etc. all play a factor into screen time and battery life. But all that aside, social media apps are notorious for being battery drainers, it's why I restrict background data for any media apps I have, though I am only on Facebook.

OP
T

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
Alright, what abut the whole thing with my phone charging slow with the screen on? Does anyone else notice this??

OP
T

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
These devices are meant to be left on and used throughout the day, smartphone manufacturers know this and plan for it. If you leave it on the charger at night, once it gets to 100% there's a safeguard where your phone stops charging and just send enough power into your phone to maintain it at 100%.

Manufacturers are also aware that many people tend to use chargers that weren't packaged with their device, or even have the same type of charger. I've been using an Anker multi-USB hub to charge my various devices and all are fine. Even manufacturers of third party chargers have built in safeguards and are also aware that most devices require certain voltage and amps, which are monitored by the tech in the charger to optimize for different devices.

You can turn your phone off at night, which is completely your choice, but your use and battery life will remain the same once your phone is turned back on. It can be good practice to restart your phone every few days to clear the cache and stop any "rogue" apps from running in the background, or you can do it manually with various cache clearing apps.

Again, I think you're thinking way too much into this. Screen time varies by so many different factors that no two people are going to have the same screen time even if they have the same phone. App usage, screen brightness, signal quality, etc. all play a factor into screen time and battery life. But all that aside, social media apps are notorious for being battery drainers, it's why I restrict background data for any media apps I have, though I am only on Facebook.
How would I go about restricting the background data?