Facebook update [Camera and Messenger App]

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit peeved at this one but Facebook just updated on my phone and added a "Camera" app. No it's not Instagram as most people would guess. It's just another way Facebook is trying to invade your privacy I guess. Glad I never use it, because now I'm removing Facebook from my phone permanently.

I didn't notice the first time around but they've also added a messenger app. Three apps for one product? Where does it end??

For more details see the article here: Facebook for Android gets updated, new features added

Last edited:

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
That's why I use Socialize and I'm also trying Fast Facebook. Socialize has the edge right now because the UI is more polished and it's smoother. But FF has a share feature and you can like individual replies to someone's post not just the original post. They are both much faster and smaller than the official FB app.

This was posted using my Rezound.

WallyIAm

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Yeah I noticed the extra bloat. Before I realized there was a second icon labelled "camera" I clicked on it and thought "what the hell happened to my awesome camera?" The bloat added by facebook is a cheap looking scaled-down version that I would never use.

jeffe65

Reaction score
I wish I had read this thread before doing the update, now I went and added more bloat I don't need. Rooting this phone may happen sooner than I had planned...

OP
MrSmith317

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
I wish I had read this thread before doing the update, now I went and added more bloat I don't need. Rooting this phone may happen sooner than I had planned...

Yeah the crazy part is they won't let you uninstall this latest update. Unless my phone was just being mean.

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
Between the slow-ness of the app itself and these two extra bloat applications, I'm definitely looking for a replacement Facebook app.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've always used m.facebook because I have yet to find an app I liked on Windows Mobile, Android or ios. I use Opera Mobile or Overskreen browsers and it renders like the desktop website minus all the crap ads and other bloat. The Android stock browser renders it too much like the app for me, including very limited functionality.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Sent from this Galaxy with Blue Tapatalk and a ZaggFolio

svdroiddude

Reaction score
I like Friendcaster....overall a better experience and quite a bit faster. BUT, if you like to share it doesn't work. It leaves the attachment off. :blink: Oh, another issue with the latest version....the IM doesn't work. You can read them but as soon as you reply it just hangs. Likely they will fix these issues but just an FYI.

jeffe65

Reaction score
I just discovered something: I went to Settings -> Manage Applications -> All Applications, and when I found Facebook it gave me the option to "Uninstall Updates". I did, and the new camera icon it had previously installed disappeared, and the size of the app shrunk from about 10.5MB to 2.65MB. It's not gone, but it's better than it was.

OP
MrSmith317

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
I just discovered something: I went to Settings -> Manage Applications -> All Applications, and when I found Facebook it gave me the option to "Uninstall Updates". I did, and the new camera icon it had previously installed disappeared, and the size of the app shrunk from about 10.5MB to 2.65MB. It's not gone, but it's better than it was.

Odd that I couldn't remove updates for mine. I only had the option to uninstall

kcook323

Reaction score
I was able to uninstall the update and use the factory settings. It also uninstalled the camera and messenger app the newest update added. I guess it is because I'm not rooted?

~Kendra

BOBD1950

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC M8
Yep..

..DID THAT 2 DAYS AGO..
Really.. the old v 1.7. 1crap runs smoother than the new(er) crap.
A brainstorm from FB drones that again is worthless. Make sure that AUTO update is not checked, when it comes up via Playstore, as an app that needs an "Update".

Here's Hoping the IP goes down in flames.

Just my opinion.
:icon_evil:

Last edited: