Is my droid defective?

jeebuss1

Reaction score
During a phone call when I bring the phone away from my ear to hang-up the screen shuts off and cannot wake it back up to end the call. Even pushing the sleep-wake button does not work. I have to slide the keyboard out to wake the screen up. Also after dialing it does the same thing....blank screen. So if I want to turn on speakerphone I can't because the screen is blank. I have had this problem since day one. This problem is really annoying and I don't think Its something I can live with. I know this has been discussed here before but what have people been doing to get around this? Or do I have a defective droid? Thanks.

Last edited:

thelion

Reaction score
Man, A LOT of people have this issue. I wonder what it is that causes this...

OP
J

jeebuss1

Reaction score
Man, A LOT of people have this issue. I wonder what it is that causes this...
Ya, There are some things about the droid I can overlook but when it comes to a problem hanging up and answering the phone.........It's a problem.

NickWgnr

Reaction score
See from my understanding just by using the phone it works as such.
Ill break it down in steps for a normal fully functioning phone call
1) You receive the call
2) You answer the call which makes the phone go into call mode and you put it up to your ear
3) As you do this a sensor that picks up on light conditions notices a rapid light change during call mode so it turns the screen blank
-This ensures that you don't hit the hangup button accidentally while talking
- It saves some battery life
4) After your done yacking to whoever it was you pull the phone away from your head and the sensor yet again picks up on the light change and switches the screen on so you can hangup
5) You hang up and the phone goes off of call mode

THIS IS MY THEORY ON THE PROBLEM... DID I SAY THEORY!
I think that somehow the sensor is malfunctioning in peoples Droids making the phone stay in its blank screen mode because it thinks the phone is still up to your head. Other than that I really can't think of anything else other than just a bad Droid.
My recommendation is to take it back and get a new one if your within 30days. If your not try calling tech support. Or hang around on here until someone finds a fix, because as of now I haven't read about one.
Hope this helps some

Wagner :motdroidvert:

Edmvr6

Reaction score
you deff have a problem there man... get it replaced

crspang

Reaction score
Are you using a screen protector? Are you using anything that could be blocking the light sensor?
The little circle at the top right corner of the screen (above and to the right of the ear speaker) should be free and clear of any obstructions.

OP
J

jeebuss1

Reaction score
Are you using a screen protector? Are you using anything that could be blocking the light sensor?
The little circle at the top right corner of the screen (above and to the right of the ear speaker) should be free and clear of any obstructions.
No screen protector. Nothing blocking sensor.

OP
J

jeebuss1

Reaction score
See from my understanding just by using the phone it works as such.
Ill break it down in steps for a normal fully functioning phone call
1) You receive the call
2) You answer the call which makes the phone go into call mode and you put it up to your ear
3) As you do this a sensor that picks up on light conditions notices a rapid light change during call mode so it turns the screen blank
-This ensures that you don't hit the hangup button accidentally while talking
- It saves some battery life
4) After your done yacking to whoever it was you pull the phone away from your head and the sensor yet again picks up on the light change and switches the screen on so you can hangup
5) You hang up and the phone goes off of call mode

THIS IS MY THEORY ON THE PROBLEM... DID I SAY THEORY!
I think that somehow the sensor is malfunctioning in peoples Droids making the phone stay in its blank screen mode because it thinks the phone is still up to your head. Other than that I really can't think of anything else other than just a bad Droid.
My recommendation is to take it back and get a new one if your within 30days. If your not try calling tech support. Or hang around on here until someone finds a fix, because as of now I haven't read about one.
Hope this helps some

Wagner :motdroidvert:
I'm out of the 30 day return window. I hate to return it to get a refurb but I guess a working refurb is better than a defective new phone.

Last edited:

GiantDroid

Reaction score
I saw posts related to this issue somewhere (not sure if it was here or not). It has something to do with the light sensor/proximity sensor not being able to tell if the phone has been pulled away from your face. It happens on my phone when it's sunny out. I normally use it on speaker phone and have a devil of a time waking it up to end the call. I found that sliding the keyboard out wakes it back up so you can end the call.

NickWgnr's theory is right.

funkdore

Reaction score
Hmm. been happenning to me too. So, it's not defective, it's just a matter of how it's built? Correct?