Is anyone else NOT totally bummed about root

shamus

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I rooted my Droid the first day it was available. But lately I've been thinking about this. I'm really not that upset about it. Sure I'd like to have free wifi tether as much as the next guy and I'd really like to remove the preinstalled apps.
It sort of reminds me of the old car modding days. I'd throw a big turbo on my car and then had to limp it to the tuner. Sure, afterwards it was awesome but every little hiccup made me blame that big turbo (20g for you car guys). Now I drive a completely stock car and rarely miss the days where I had to pull over and readjust FMIC couplings.
It's kind of like the ROMs that we run now on our Droids. Sure they score awesome linpack and quadrant scores but every once in a while I'll run into a snag and wish I just had an OEM state phone that was strong enough to do what my OCd Droid could. And the X seems to be just that.
I rooted my Incredible (right at the beginning of its root days) and found myself a little perplexed as to why I'd spent so many hours to get through the process.

Am I the only one that just really won't be too upset if we don't get full root access?

viperxz713

Reaction score
Not all that bummed. I agree - I'm a tinkerer but sometimes you just want it to work.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
When it is released and has all the goodies, no problem. 6 months from now when you can't get who knows what....then maybe.

Then again, this time last year I had a dummy flip phone. I thought it might be cool to browse the web and all but I didn't know the half of what I was getting into. It is the new stuff that keeps me coming back for more. My phone rings, I answer. I dial, it rings elsewhere. The rest is pure gravy compared to the previous phone.

Mojo

Reaction score
I am not that bummed because I have faith in our hackers... and, well if not there is always the SS facinate or what ever it is

daxdm302

Reaction score
I'm not really bummed, I think ill be able to live with out custom roms for a couple month's or so......

TheBoyPat

Reaction score
20 isnt really that big :p But I get the analogy. There are a couple small things I wish I could do with the root butttt, I'll live.

deeemaa

Reaction score
i am totally bummed and will probably play with the X for 30 days and return to the Samsung.

OP
shamus

shamus

Reaction score
20 isnt really that big :p But I get the analogy. There are a couple small things I wish I could do with the root butttt, I'll live.

LOL I'm comparing it to a Td04.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. But I do agree, these feelings could totally change after 6 months.

Kmart95

Reaction score
I am not getting the droid x but if I was I would totally agree with you. I love modding the heck out of my phone but I have stuck with the same rom for a month and a half and I'm lovin the fact that I don't have to go through the pain of getting things the way I like it after a data wipe. And that I can just use the phone normally. And when CM6 comes out officialy I will probably stick that until gingerbread if it is available for the droid if not I will go back to stock eventually and enjoy the phone for what it is until december 2011

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

steven.rn

Reaction score
From a post I made a bit ago, probably more appropriate here:

Dang me anyway. Im'a buy a Droid x on Thursday, despite the "locked and encrypted bootloader" stuff.

Much as I enjoy playing with new roms and enjoy the "latest and greatest" new themes and ROMS, the meat and potatoes for me is really in the browser, the ereader, and making calls.

I hate to admit that. However, I realized today I've spent more time over FROYO itself than actually using FROYO.

(Disclaimer: I do realize, addict that I am, that if it gets unlocked, I'll probably go back to frittering hours on tinkering again- not a bad thing, but not necessarily the bestest use of my time. Lockdown will be kinda like "rehab time" for me :))

No offense at all to those who love the ROM/DEV scene. Fun stuff.

Mostly, I'll finally get back to reading my books
(geez I love my Sci-Fi) and browsing the web.
I may even actually CALL somebody :icon_eek:

On a historical note, I remember when I first saw "Pong" by Atari in a bar..(Musta been 1972-3...whoops, dating myself...) the big fascination, was "WOW! you can CONTROL something you used to only be able to WATCH! (a tv screen)" "What POWER!"

It's kinda like that with phones too; getting to control something that used to be a black box. Very familiar thrill. Oh well... life goes on.

Kudo's to all the Dev's, and I did support them with more than words (translate: donator)... and I hope they're there when I get my next attack of "gotta know what's goin' on and what I can do" addiction revival
:r_c:

Who am I kidding.... of course they will be :icon_ banana:

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am pretty bummed, but I have high hopes that it will eventually get rooted. I have come to terms with the bootloader being locked which will mean no custom ROMs, but I also understand that there may be a way around it eventually. Overall, I can live without root as OCing the Droid's CPU has always been my number one reason for rooting. I HOPE I won't need to overclock the X's CPU.

car guy

Reaction score
For some reaon, I kind of am bummed. I've never had droid phone. I'll be coming from a BB Pearl that I didn't even use to it's potential. And when I first looked into the X I was thrilled with the specs. Then I started reading about the potential of these phones and began reading up on how to unleash it.

I doubt that I would do anything with it for a while though. My wife will kill me if I brick it and have to buy a new phone.

To put it in your terms, It's a lot like be content with my iddy-bitty 9Bs, and then realizing the potential of larger turbos and not really knowing how to get it tuned correctly .

Womp

Reaction score
I can't imagine returning a Droid X for a Fascinate just for the ability to root.

After how well Motorola is doing constructing these Droid's so far, Samsung isn't even on my radar. Give me a durable, quality made phone with the awesome speakers and reception any day.

The Fascinate looks like a hollow piece of plastic compared to the tank like structure of the Droid line. Just my opinion of course. ;)

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3
I'm more bummed on a "principle" level than a "functionality" level in regards to the root/bootloader situation. No matter how you look at it, it's a dick move from Motorola; whether you have any interest in rooting, or not. It's like if a married friend of yours cheats on their spouse with a random stranger...even if it doesn't directly affect you, doesn't mean your married friend isn't a wh0re :)