Is Android Laggy? Video Says Yes

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
[video=youtube;J6oWDLk31EQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6oWDLk31EQ[/video]​

The complaints of lag on Android have been around since it's inception. Has this changed with Googles newest flagship running the newest OS? This video says no.

We'd like to hear your thoughts. Do you notice lag or is this video an exaggeration of a nonexistent "issue"

Intersting because on 4.03 there is no lag whatsoever.

ROOT!!!!
dancingnexus.gif

dont they realize that some lag is due to how android is encoded to run all tasks at the same priority while the iphone gives user actions highest priority?
for example if you start downloading something and decide to leave the downloading screen and go to something else that download will continue in the background the same way as if you never left that downloading screen, in iOS (supposedly, i personally never tried it out) if you download something and even just touch the screen to do something that download automatically pauses because the os immediately focuses almost entirely on whatever the user is doing...

basically the fact that android shows any kind of lag shows it is more efficient as a smartphone and is able to multi-task

Well I just did that test with 4.03 and I am not getting that pointer lag at all. I will admit that there is a difference in ui between 4.02 and 4.03.

Well I just did that test with 4.03 and I am not getting that pointer lag at all. I will admit that there is a difference in ui between 4.02 and 4.03.

i'd hate to see the pointer lag on the alpha build for my d1 lmao

I'm running 4.0.2, and YES, it is laggy. So was my OG... Now, do I care? Not at all! I don't use my phone to do high speed word writing puzzles in Olympic Competition... I don't use my phone to show off how much more intelligent I am than Idont owners... oh, wait, yes I do... Ok, but I don't need a high speed back and forth screen motion for that.

All GUIs will have some lag, moreso on LCD devices. What this is showing is a combination of input lag and the inaccuracy inherent to a capacitive screen. The iPhone GUI appears to be essentially lag free, because it is an app drawer and not much else. You even see this effect on PCs, which is why gamers generally demand a wired mouse with a high reporting rate.

Basically, your phone's touch sensor doesn't report at a high enough rate to truly keep up with your finger. That's why you have to go very slow and steady when using a sketching app.

EDIT: Of course the iPhone probably uses a sensor with a higher reporting rate, which is another reason it appears less laggy. Sometimes it's more economical to do things like that with the iPhone's smaller panel size.

Last edited:
BTW, from my point of view the Windows phone seemed MUCH laggier, almost like a blackberry.

If they wanna see lag, get a OG Droid on 2.0 and compare it to the G Nex. (what my OG is on right now, all I could sbf back to to fix the phone) I had a G Nex, and lag wasnt on of my worries. WP7 is just nicer with the UI speed and movement. Nicer than the iPhone, IMO.

It may not be the best at being non laggy, but it certainly isnt the worse. And its better at it than stock Android on phones before ICS. At the same time, the RAZR I have, with a skin on top of Android, an older version of Android, is just as nice as the G Nex as far as lag. (also hard to compare older stock versions of Android, I dont think any had similar hardware to the G Nex.) And does the screen res play a part? Just asking, dont really know.

My vote non existent "issue"

Of course there is no lag on iPhone, it's just a row of icons and folders.

Start adding widgets or live tiles, and then the whole thing becomes more complex

Of course there is no lag on iPhone, it's just a row of icons and folders.

Start adding widgets or live tiles, and then the whole thing becomes more complex

exactly, plus the wallpaper doesnt even scroll on an iphone.

Is this going to be like the pentile displays?

As crazy as this may sound, I actually like the lag. It's not that much so maybe that's why, but for some reason, I feel like the lag makes the actions on the phone feel a little more...natural. Kinda hard to explain, but I feel like movement on Android is more like moving a window around what you're doing rather than moving what you're doing into the view of a window. I guess a good analogy would be like looking through a camera. You move the camera to gain a different view, you don't move the backgroud/subject.

Back