Is all bloatware equal?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
company-products_zps5b149719.png

I posted a thread a few years back organizing people to voice their opinions to Verizon about all the non removable bloatware on their phones. I hated the fact that customers could not remove bloat like blockbuster, kindle, etc without rooting. That led me to seek out Google and a nexus device to protest my distaste for bloat. Lately I am noticing more and more Google bloat that is non removable with out rooting. Dont get me wrong a lot of Google's apps I use but apps like books and magazines I can do without. So as we prepare for a new nexus with new software is it time to call Google out for their bloat. It is obvious that the nexus program have been a spring board for Google services so are we ok with that since nexus devices are cheaper than their counterparts made by HTC, Motorola, Samsung, LG, or other Android device manufacturers.

Personally I am willing to give Google slack because the bloat equates to a drop in pricing along with the fact Google do not try and prevent customers from rooting to remove bloat. But interested in hearing from you guys about Google's bloat as we continue our nexus 5 watch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I use vznav, my Verizon, s note, Gmail and Play store. Everything else on every device is frozen if it can't be removed. If it can't be frozen it's ignored.
That's my take on bloatware.
Google, Verizon, Samsung or HTC it's all the same to me; wasted use of internal storage.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Beast Mode (Notetoo)

WestOkid

Reaction score
If bloat is simply any software beyond the core OS that permanently resides on the device, then yes, Nexus devices have bloat. The only issue there is that by that definition then every production phone, tablet and PC on every platform has bloat. So I am not sure using that definition serves any practical purpose. I personally don't believe having non-essential software was the impetus for the bloat revolt. The outrage came when non-essential and inferior software was added to the detriment of the product. This started with PCs adding so many background tasks that you had to upgrade your CPU to account for the bloat. This continued to cell phones, where manufacturers and carriers were adding decidedly inferior products that compromised the storage space and performance of the product.
As for Google. Google is a software and services company. They can only justify making a Nexus to its shareholders by offering it as a vehicle to its services. So having Google books on a phone in order to subsidize the cost does not bother me one bit. Verizon and Manufacturers have no excuse for bloat other than greed. Verizon adding VZ navigator (paid service) and a VZ app store on a device that has a native app store and navigator that are both decidedly superior, is bloat. Samsung adding permanent software that run in the background and make the phone require and extra 500K of RAM while causing lag, is bloat.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
At least you can disable the google apps. Some bloat from the carrier/manufacturer cant' even be disabled *cough*My Magazine*cough*.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If bloat is simply any software beyond the core OS that permanently resides on the device, then yes, Nexus devices have bloat. The only issue there is that by that definition then every production phone, tablet and PC on every platform has bloat. So I am not sure using that definition serves any practical purpose. I personally don't believe having non-essential software was the impetus for the bloat revolt. The outrage came when non-essential and inferior software was added to the detriment of the product. This started with PCs adding so many background tasks that you had to upgrade your CPU to account for the bloat. This continued to cell phones, where manufacturers and carriers were adding decidedly inferior products that compromised the storage space and performance of the product.
As for Google. Google is a software and services company. They can only justify making a Nexus to its shareholders by offering it as a vehicle to its services. So having Google books on a phone in order to subsidize the cost does not bother me one bit. Verizon and Manufacturers have no excuse for bloat other than greed. Verizon adding VZ navigator (paid service) and a VZ app store on a device that has a native app store and navigator that are both decidedly superior, is bloat. Samsung adding permanent software that run in the background and make the phone require and extra 500K of RAM while causing lag, is bloat.

Well said.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Beast Mode (Notetoo)