Is a scratch protector really needed?

ice456789

Reaction score
Any scratch that people report having on a droid is most likely not a scratch at all, but a crack. Cracks are the real danger and can come from any pressure put directly on the screen. No matter what kind of screen protector you have on the Droid, if you throw it in the same pocket as your keys then bump into something, you have a good shot at cracking your screen. I've got a Dare with a cracked screen and all I know is that it happened while in my pocket one day. Looks exactly like a scratch, and yes I had a screen protector on it. The Dare does not have glass like my Droid, which is the only reason I had a protector on it. Plastic scratches. Glass in most cases does not. The only real use of 'Screen Protectors' on a droid is if you like the feel better or to keep it smudge free. Other than that, it is a placebo.

Zippster

Reaction score
While I love my body glove case, I believe one that keeps the screen facing inward would be much more protective then even a screen protector.

R

racklefratz

Any scratch that people report having on a droid is most likely not a scratch at all, but a crack. Cracks are the real danger and can come from any pressure put directly on the screen. No matter what kind of screen protector you have on the Droid, if you throw it in the same pocket as your keys then bump into something, you have a good shot at cracking your screen. I've got a Dare with a cracked screen and all I know is that it happened while in my pocket one day. Looks exactly like a scratch, and yes I had a screen protector on it. The Dare does not have glass like my Droid, which is the only reason I had a protector on it. Plastic scratches. Glass in most cases does not. The only real use of 'Screen Protectors' on a droid is if you like the feel better or to keep it smudge free. Other than that, it is a placebo.

I couldn't have said it better. :)

elgordo123

Reaction score
I have been using the writeright screen protectors and have had no problems. I cut it to cover the menu and home buttons and just below the speaker.
Haven't had any problems with the onscreen keyboard, display differences, etc. From what I understand these things aren't needed, but I've dropped it a couple of times and put some big scars on the screen protector, and dont even want to think about what might have happened on the screen itself. Dont even want to take the chance.
:icon_ banana:

dreed

Reaction score
Glass Scratches.I had the storm which has a glass screen i kept a screen protector on it until i knew i was getting the Droid so i took off the screen protector and in the short amount of time it looks like its been to war . i REALLY like this DROID, so i went with the invisishield Zagg screen protector w/the silicone hard case ...solid combo. I had Best Buy install invisishield for $7 ,glad i did . I noticed when i got home it was not perfect (was not exactly centered so the edge of screen protector lifted) i took it back today ,they replaced it without hesitation and said it would be guaranteed for life if it turns yellow scratches,or lifts they will replace it everytime!! NICE! Point of my story.... If you get a screen protector get it at Best Buy and let THEM install it!!

bergdev

Reaction score
Sandpaper has quartz, considerably harder than most glass, likely to scratch. Thatg said, I like the idea of simply treating an expensive device w respect, like eyeglasses. BTW, I don't use a screen prot either.

adam8ch

Reaction score
on my third droid now due to a scratch from a diamond earring. definitely putting a screen protector on this one.

wil318466

Reaction score
No. No screen protector is needed. This screen is almost indestructible unless you TRIED to scratch it. One wipe, its clean.

Just wouldnt' want to cover up the most beautiful screen out there.

-Wil

silverx10

Reaction score
Glass Scratches.I had the storm which has a glass screen i kept a screen protector on it until i knew i was getting the Droid so i took off the screen protector and in the short amount of time it looks like its been to war . i REALLY like this DROID, so i went with the invisishield Zagg screen protector w/the silicone hard case ...solid combo. I had Best Buy install invisishield for $7 ,glad i did . I noticed when i got home it was not perfect (was not exactly centered so the edge of screen protector lifted) i took it back today ,they replaced it without hesitation and said it would be guaranteed for life if it turns yellow scratches,or lifts they will replace it everytime!! NICE! Point of my story.... If you get a screen protector get it at Best Buy and let THEM install it!!

With the exception of video games, I'm none too big on buying anything from Best Buy anymore due to the horrible markup. HDMI cables for $45.00... Installing a video card for $35.00... Come on, people, that's like charging a kid $35.00 to install one Lego on top of another. Likewise, $7.00 to install something as simple as a slip of plastic just seems... I dunno... evil.

on my third droid now due to a scratch from a diamond earring. definitely putting a screen protector on this one.

Personally, I'm none too big on screen protectors anyway. My OCD won't let me put the DROID near anything too abrasive, and... well, no earrings here. ;)

s3ntaur

Reaction score
Screen protector all the way. Whose to say if you drop it or something chaotic might happen then you are FU%#ed....

styleznma

Reaction score
I had the Verizon screen protectors, but I got annoyed with how easily they collect dust and bubble up upon application. I'm currently 0/3 of those...

Having said that, I'm sad to announce that I found a small chip in the screen of my device. I have NO idea how it happened or when, but I'm upset!

Me too. I bought the Verizon screen protectors for Droid during phone purchase and they are terrible. granted, it was my first time applying a screen protector but the bubbles were terrible. I had to try the second one and it was alittle better as i very slowly used a credit card to push air out but it still did not look how i wanted it. I still have the 3rd/last one left but i have no hope.

I went through SIX of them, luckly they take them back... IMO the verizon ones are JUNK, I couldn't get it on with out any bubbles what so ever and a credit card doesn't squeeze them out. I bought WriteRight ones from walmart, didn't apply them yet as I was looking for an Opinion on weather or not they were junk. But after seeing this VIDEO, wow, i take very close pre-cautions with my phones for at least the first year after that depreciation sets in and I have my eye on another phone or device (non-phone), so with or without having a screen protector I believe i'll still be pre-cautious but with having no screen protector then I can have the phone vivid and responsive. For those whom say Invisi-shield is great, IMO i don't like them, I put one on my wife's phone and I hate the texture and it added soooooo much screen glare not to mention you can see streaks in it (only noticeable if looking for imperfection)

In short,,, NO SCREEN PROTECTOR FOR ME, YAY!!!! but I do have the Body glove from Best buy on it,, only beacuse it feels sooo nice in my Hand.. Def. recommend this if you like a very distinct texture (not too rubbery) feel plus I like the looks of it.

SirSyeco

Reaction score
I don't feel that it makes sense to use film/plastic to protect glass. If its something that could actually hurt the glass screen, then its probably going to railroad the plastic.

It reminds me of a story. When I was at the eyeglass store with one of my kids, the sales guy tried talking me into a $150 pair of sunglasses. I told him that I go through 2 or 3 pairs a year because I always lose or destroy my sunglasses and I would never spend more than $20 on a pair. He told me, that I wouldn't hurt or lose them BECAUSE they were expensive and because I would enjoy them more. I laughed.. but that was almost five years ago and I still have those $150 sunglasses and they are still in pristine condition.

Moral of the story is: Don't put things of value in harms way.. ie with Diamond rings, sand paper etc :) or get a full case to protect it.

adam8ch

Reaction score
If you ever let people use your phone, beware of earrings :p

My droid got scratched this way. My most current, scratch free droid has a screen protector. If it is going to eat a scratch, I'd rather it be a piece of plastic that I can just replace.

zegwin

Reaction score
...Moral of the story is: Don't put things of value in harms way.. ie with Diamond rings, sand paper etc :) or get a full case to protect it.
Burning building here I come!!!! (and I am not kidding)

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Glass in most cases does not. The only real use of 'Screen Protectors' on a droid is if you like the feel better or to keep it smudge free. Other than that, it is a placebo.
Either glass never scratches or the screen protector is a placebo. Or, possibly, placebo doesn't mean what you think it means. Which is it? I've seen scratched glass...

If it is going to eat a scratch, I'd rather it be a piece of plastic that I can just replace.
You can also replace the glass -- for an $89 deductible (plus $6/month until you scratch it). :D