• Total voters

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
iphone4vzw.jpg

This is the reason NYT has as to why Apple is so excited to bring their iPhone to our great network. NYT thinks since the Droid is "ruling the air," Apple can only compete if they put their device on the same battle field as the Droid universe and drop that crap they call At&t. The current smartphone sales figures are around 32% for the Droids, and the iPhone is only sitting on 25% of all smartphone sales in the US of A.

Now if they were to bring the iPhone 4 to Big Boss network (Verizon Wireless), this might bring their sales up a significant amount. This growth will be due to people that are avid iPod, Macbook, iPad users and people that get lost in the Droid, also known as my grandparents that keep asking when the iPhone 4 is coming.

“Android has tremendous momentum,” said A. M. Sacconaghi Jr., an analyst with the research firm Sanford C. Bernstein & Company. Mr. Sacconaghi said that the growth of Android was in large part because the iPhone was not available on Verizon and some major carriers overseas. “Apple moving to sign up these carriers is very important to help mitigate Android momentum,” he said.
Sounds about right.
“It is going to have a fairly disruptive impact when it lands,” said Charles Wolf, an analyst with Needham & Company.
To be honest, I think this will bring the biggest battle the mobile industry has ever seen. America is all about the battle, and when two strong rivals are in one place, it will always start a little something that will end only with sales figures.

Now I am posting this article to ask you two question. Do you think they still stand a chance against the ever growing Android world? Would you buy the iPhone if it was released with LTE (which it should be since then they can call it the 4G, not 4)? Reply and tell us.

Personally if this happens, I will be a little worried about how ads will be done now. I mean Droids have many ads that are always running, but I am sure Apple will want to put just as much great ads out there as well, so that might get a little annoying.

News Via: NYT

sc4fpse

Reaction score
True:
CNN saw all the attention that the Wall Street Journal has gotten when it has "confirmed" every 6 months that the iPhone is coming to Verizon for the past 2 1/2 years. They wanted in on that attention (and advertising revenue).

False:
The iPhone is coming to Verizon.

Three words, people: Grain. Of. Salt.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
For the nay sayers let me tell you tha the Iphone is coming to big red in Jan. Not too far off from now. Atleast that is the schedule as of last week.

As for LTe that's what i'm told also. The Iphone will be on the LTE network .... as far as competition. I am not sure of how much it will be for the Droid devices. Plues we will all see the Inredible HD still and some other Droids bnefore that.

I say bring it on and let VZW reign Supreme. Cause once that happens it's all over for ATT

mjlthuston

Reaction score
I think there will be a significant percentage of users who switch to the IPhone, but I don't think it's an Android killer. I believe many folks will switch back and forth between the two OS when they get a new phone. There will also be many users like my son who will switch because of the buzz factor. We don't have ATT in MT, but I know several people who have IPhones in WA and many aren't big fans. I think long term Android will eventually take over. I see similarities between this battle and the IBM vs MS struggle in the 80's. IBM focused on hardware and MS focused on software. We all know how that turned out.

Beardface

Reaction score
Make no mistake, this will be a huge blow to Android. A huge blow. I'd be willing to guess that close to 2/3 of the Android users on Verizon went with it because they could not get the iPhone. Now, you have to think that a lot of them were converted to Android only, but even if half of them weren't, you're looking at a 33% immediate loss in Android users when the iPhone comes over. Thats big. Maybe some of them will come back, but I doubt it. Android has enough backing that it should be able to weather the storm and come out roses on the other side, but it will be a very rough time, and you're likely to see the value of current Android phones on Verizon plummet to hopefully stem the tide of the Apple takeover. I sure hope Motorola and HTC have some amazing phones due at that time, or Apple will just walk to dominance.

What I am not looking forward to is the fact that this will cripple the 3G and 4G Verizon networks basically overnight. If you thought AT&T was bad, just wait. Verizon has already been showing signs of a slowed down network with the success of the Droids, and if you add the iPhone hysteria to it, goodbye fast network. That right there is reason enough in itself for me to strongly consider a move to Sprint for the HTC Evo if this ever happens.

scoder

Reaction score
For the nay sayers let me tell you tha the Iphone is coming to big red in Jan. Not too far off from now. Atleast that is the schedule as of last week.

As for LTe that's what i'm told also. The Iphone will be on the LTE network .... as far as competition. I am not sure of how much it will be for the Droid devices. Plues we will all see the Inredible HD still and some other Droids bnefore that.

I say bring it on and let VZW reign Supreme. Cause once that happens it's all over for ATT

Are you kidding me? Verizon will not have any LTE phones out in January, nor does Apple have any of the testing equipment for LTE (we were shown their testing rooms/cells a few months ago and there was not one machine made for LTE.) That's not something that you just install over the weekend. Also, Qualcomm, one of the apparent manufacturing companies, is (apparently) creating a CDMA version, not once does any article say an LTE version of the device is being made. Please tell me which sources you are referring to.

This same rumor comes around every year. And every year it gets shut down by January or June and people just recycle it 6 months later. Get over it everyone. It's a phone. Is it a good phone? Absolutely. Is it overrated? Absolutely. Does sitting here speculating whether or not it is coming in January actually solidify it into fact? Absolutely not. So who cares? Just wait until December 31st or for some actual facts come out before making polls and writing opinions. You might just be wasting your time.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
still not android, which makes up most of this forum.

cloudstrife05

Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about it. For one I don't care if iPhone comes to VZW. If it does there will be a drop, IMO of Android phones...and all others to be honest..at first.
Competition can be a good thing, and the war between Android and Apple will just heat up more. If that happens hopefully we will see better devices, which is what we want anyway right?

jase

Reaction score
I think this will be a short term blow to Android phones. A fair number of android users just want the simple "appliance" experience that the iPhone offers.

But Android features, and especially hardware, are progressing faster than the iPhone. A steady stream of increasingly powerful Android phones will either force Apple into a more rapid development cycle for the iPhone, or they'll fall behind in capability and lose much of the market share they'll gain.

Besides, there's room for two platforms in the mobile world. I'd be far more concerned if I were a Windows Phone 7 fan, as they have nowhere to gain a solid base if iPhone and Android are both on AT&T and Verizon.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Time will tell

Are you kidding me? Verizon will not have any LTE phones out in January, nor does Apple have any of the testing equipment for LTE (we were shown their testing rooms/cells a few months ago and there was not one machine made for LTE.) That's not something that you just install over the weekend. Also, Qualcomm, one of the apparent manufacturing companies, is (apparently) creating a CDMA version, not once does any article say an LTE version of the device is being made. Please tell me which sources you are referring to.

This same rumor comes around every year. And every year it gets shut down by January or June and people just recycle it 6 months later. Get over it everyone. It's a phone. Is it a good phone? Absolutely. Is it overrated? Absolutely. Does sitting here speculating whether or not it is coming in January actually solidify it into fact? Absolutely not. So who cares? Just wait until December 31st or for some actual facts come out before making polls and writing opinions. You might just be wasting your time.

I know they showed you everything.....sure as they showed thier ups everything too "Yes, it's the subject that's been beaten to death: a Verizon iPhone. The ongoing rumors have been stoked in recent weeks by a claim from Bloomberg that the device will launch in January, with this week's announcement that Verizon CEO Ivan Seidenberg will offer the keynote address at CES 2011 sparking speculation that an iPhone introduction could occur there.

TechCrunch weighs in today with new claims that Apple has placed a large order for Qualcomm CDMA chips to be deployed in an iPhone production run scheduled for December. The claims come from a source reportedly familiar with the supply chain logistics for the CDMA-based chips that would be required for a Verizon iPhone."

again... i could always be wroing and it could change tomorrow, or in a month, or today, but I expect we will see the Iphone in/around late jan. Time will tell....though I can tell you that every device launched since the X my contact was spot on. Including the new HTC with the slider on VZW (known weeks before the launch or leak) and the Droid Incredible HD (which is the desire HD I played with just a week ago) so I am gonna believe him still......

this is the worst kept secret in the news all year. My only question is really why it took this long. Had it been early on VZW before the Droid. I would have bought it on VZW and never looked back. It's ATT that kept me away...

While I am not sure what they are showing.. i know someone who has tested the "I" who has tested this device in thier LTE test areas. Though my guess is hes wrong too :icon_eek:....

time will tell for sure

Stang68

Reaction score
I am going to be honest and admit I'm terrified what will happen to Android when the iPhone hits VZW. We all have to be rational here: As someone else here posted, many VZW Droid-line users really want an iPhone. Hell, I did, too, but am on a VZW family plan. I got my first Droid and will most likely not be switching to the iPhone, especially from my Droid X, but what about everyone else? It's the iPhone for God's sake...everyone wants one...well, everyone who isn't on a Droid forum.

Android is going to lose a lot of marketshare. That's a fact. Verizon is going to push the iPhone like no other. They know that it's the iPhone, not the Droids, that will kill At&t. If it's 4G/LTE, we are ****ed.

Google needs to debut Gingerbread, and FAST. It has to be what everyone is "saying" it will be: a UI overhaul that makes it look very user-friendly. Sure, WE know what to do with an Android phone, but the average consumer barely knows how to customize the homescreen. Google really really really needs to hit 3.0 out of the park.

Either way, I'll say 1/3 of Android users on VZW will switch to the iPhone. Especially if Verizon makes a deal like the did on the Droid X: "Upgrade TODAY if you have an upgrade available at all this year".

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think this will be a short term blow to Android phones. A fair number of android users just want the simple "appliance" experience that the iPhone offers.

But Android features, and especially hardware, are progressing faster than the iPhone. A steady stream of increasingly powerful Android phones will either force Apple into a more rapid development cycle for the iPhone, or they'll fall behind in capability and lose much of the market share they'll gain.

Besides, there's room for two platforms in the mobile world. I'd be far more concerned if I were a Windows Phone 7 fan, as they have nowhere to gain a solid base if iPhone and Android are both on AT&T and Verizon.

+1

I'll be using the OS that will win in the end. And that isn't Apple.

The imporvements that will be amde to Android, and the rate at which it occurs will make it the "windows" of the mobile market. Here's why: Platforms and OEM's.

Android: spread across several manufacturers (even though each places their own crap on it), you have many different options for the OS BESIDES it just being Android.

Apple: Hmm, wait a minute, who produces that besides Apple? :)

This will go the way of the PC market for Apple, trust me.

Varking

Reaction score
Hey, I would get one if it had good specs and 4g, but I will still keep my Droid. there are pros and cons for both, so I would use both.