Droid RAZR Maxx KO's Apple's iPhone on Verizon

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Apple already said it won't be using liquid metal in any product for quite a while. Bigger screen...Maybe, but I doubt it will be that much bigger. LTE...I doubt it. That will be too much of a good thing to come from Apple. Expect LTE when AT&T has enough LTE coverage to make it worth it. Camera...maybe better, but i doubt 12 or 13 megapixels. Software will be its only good feature repository and even then...I'm not banking on anything good except maybe their own Maps app which will still be worse than Google Maps.

They put LTE in the iPad regardless of AT&T's LTE network coverage. I know the cellular iPad isn't as widely used as the iPhone, but I'd be extremely surprised if LTE isn't in this year's iPhone. It would be a huge misstep on Apple's part given how much carriers in the U.S. are pushing LTE and the growing public awareness of it. Part of the speculation in the potential increase in screen size comes not only from the shift in the market to larger screen sizes, but also needing a larger body in order to facilitate a large enough battery for LTE. Of course, we'll all just have to wait and see what ends up happening.

I'm not surprised about the MAXX outselling the iPhone. I think it's for a combination of a few different reasons - Verizon's LTE push, the battery in the MAXX, and the fact that the iPhone 4S isn't the newest kid on the block.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not surprised that a 3300mAH phone with a huge screen and LTE is outselling the old 4S, especially with the reps pushing it.

As to LTE on the new iPhone, why would Apple do that when they can release it without it now then add it in six months later and sell twice the number of phones?

combatmedic870

Reaction score
They put LTE in the iPad regardless of AT&T's LTE network coverage. I know the cellular iPad isn't as widely used as the iPhone, but I'd be extremely surprised if LTE isn't in this year's iPhone. It would be a huge misstep on Apple's part given how much carriers in the U.S. are pushing LTE and the growing public awareness of it. Part of the speculation in the potential increase in screen size comes not only from the shift in the market to larger screen sizes, but also needing a larger body in order to facilitate a large enough battery for LTE. Of course, we'll all just have to wait and see what ends up happening.

I'm not surprised about the MAXX outselling the iPhone. I think it's for a combination of a few different reasons - Verizon's LTE push, the battery in the MAXX, and the fact that the iPhone 4S isn't the newest kid on the block.

I 100% agree with this. The next I phone will have LTE. No ands, ifs or butts about it. They wouldn't be competitive if they didn't. There S models are the lazy models to stay competitive. They have to release a model every year. The IPhone 5 will most likely be a big deal.
I'll probably get one if its a big enough deal and has some cool stuffs. The games are much better on I phone also.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Lintroller

Reaction score
Glad to hear that others are discovering what we've known all along: The Droid Razr Maxx is a great device.

geoff5093

Reaction score
Not surprised that a 3300mAH phone with a huge screen and LTE is outselling the old 4S, especially with the reps pushing it.

As to LTE on the new iPhone, why would Apple do that when they can release it without it now then add it in six months later and sell twice the number of phones?
How could they add it in 6 months later when they have launched a new iPhone roughly once every 12 months?

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
If Motorola would release the RAZR on other carriers it would be unstoppable.

It is and has been...your correct ..unstoppable ...btw boost and rogers and a couple others have it...you'll have to google it but I'm sure its three companies and growing..

Simply Amazing ...
Essentially Stunning,
Motorola Droid Razr---->Minimum<-----:)
Tapped via Red Xparent Pro>:-!

acousticshade

Reaction score
With all the new dual core and quad core phones coming out in the next 6 months from most android manufacturers, the next I-phone will have a tough time competing. Everyone loved them when they first came out because they were so far ahead of everything else at the time. Now, they are mired in the middle of the pack with mid-tiered phones and will need a major jump to compete with new Samsung, HTC and Motorola phones, some of which are already on US soil.

Plus Apple is really dragging its name through the mud with all these lame lawsuits - at least to those of us who are informed smart phone users. I doubt I will buy an I-pad this summer because of the bully tactics they are utalizing.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
How could they add it in 6 months later when they have launched a new iPhone roughly once every 12 months?

Because they release i and s versions after the initial. Remember the iPhone 3, then 3G, then 3Gs, then 4, then 4s. They always release "updated" phones about half-way through the current versions cycle. I'm not meaning they will add it to the phone, I'm saying they will release another phone that will include the LTE chipset. As foolish as this would be for any other company, Apple has baited their customers into buying new devices every 6 months in the past so why not give it a whirl again?

ah, and my bad, it was the 4G, then 4s. I forgot about all the confusion with all the iPhone users swearing up and down that they were getting 4G data coverage because of the device name.

jaybogg

Reaction score
Small detail, but aren't the OP's photos of a razr and not a maxx? All the info was interesting though.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
With what VZW is pulling, Apple might be getting a gimme leg-up with the multiple radios. People can by an IPhone and then take it to AT&T seamlessly, I believe. The Android phones don't have the dual GSM/CDMA radios. Or maybe I'm misinformed, just a thought.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Because they release i and s versions after the initial. Remember the iPhone 3, then 3G, then 3Gs, then 4, then 4s. They always release "updated" phones about half-way through the current versions cycle. I'm not meaning they will add it to the phone, I'm saying they will release another phone that will include the LTE chipset. As foolish as this would be for any other company, Apple has baited their customers into buying new devices every 6 months in the past so why not give it a whirl again?

ah, and my bad, it was the 4G, then 4s. I forgot about all the confusion with all the iPhone users swearing up and down that they were getting 4G data coverage because of the device name.

What? Each of those phones was released a year, if not longer (in the case of the 4S), after the last. I see what you mean about major updates coming with every other release, but the phone releases are at least 12 months apart, not 6 months. It's gone down like this: June 2007 - iPhone, July 2008 - 3G, June 2009 - 3GS, June 2010 - 4, October 2011 - 4S, 2012 - ? So far, Apple has only released one new iPhone each year (with the only differences being storage and color). They're not baiting their customers into buying new devices every 6 months, just every 12 months or so.

And it was never the 4G. It was just the 4. Many people, basing it off the 3G naming series, incorrectly called it the 4G, but it was never the 4G. In fact, if this year's iPhone has LTE, I wouldn't be surprised if it's called the 4G.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
With what VZW is pulling, Apple might be getting a gimme leg-up with the multiple radios. People can by an IPhone and then take it to AT&T seamlessly, I believe. The Android phones don't have the dual GSM/CDMA radios. Or maybe I'm misinformed, just a thought.

Nope. A Verizon iPhone doesn't seamlessly work on AT&T. SIM cards from AT&T and T-Mobile are blocked from being used on a Verizon iPhone, even if it's unlocked.

And many Android phones do have dual GSM/CDMA radios. Dating back 2 years to the Droid 2 Global, there have been GSM/CDMA Android phones on Verizon. In fact, pretty much all of the most recent Android phones on Verizon - Bionic, RAZR, MAXX, Rezound, Droid 4, Spectrum, the upcoming SIII - all have GSM radios in addition to CDMA and LTE radios. They just haven't been enabled by Verizon yet, but Verizon has said they will be. They're also blocked from being used on AT&T and T-Mobile.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
What? Each of those phones was released a year, if not longer (in the case of the 4S), after the last. I see what you mean about major updates coming with every other release, but the phone releases are at least 12 months apart, not 6 months. It's gone down like this: June 2007 - iPhone, July 2008 - 3G, June 2009 - 3GS, June 2010 - 4, October 2011 - 4S, 2012 - ? So far, Apple has only released one new iPhone each year (with the only differences being storage and color). They're not baiting their customers into buying new devices every 6 months, just every 12 months or so.

And it was never the 4G. It was just the 4. Many people, basing it off the 3G naming series, incorrectly called it the 4G, but it was never the 4G. In fact, if this year's iPhone has LTE, I wouldn't be surprised if it's called the 4G.

I stand corrected. Sure seemed like they were dropping the updates more often than every year. Makes it even more likely that this one with have LTE capabilities, especially with VZ making sure that their Data Share plans will be in place, but even if it's not Apple customers will gobble it up.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
razrmaxx.jpeg

According to analyst Anil Doradia, Motorola's Droid RAZR Maxx is outselling the Apple iPhone at Verizon during the quarter ending this month. According to the analyst, this is the first quarter since the launch of the OG Apple iPhone, that the device was not the top selling model at any North American carrier where it was offered. Doradia says:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Doradia says that this is not the result of potential Apple iPhone buyers at Verizon holding off for the next model of the iconic device. So there you have it, the champion has been knocked out of the number one spot...........for now.

Source: Barrons

Hmmmm...I wonder if any og razors were in the mix of that equation? Lol

Sent from my Droid Razr using Tapatalk 2