iPhone can DROID can't?

Inundated

Reaction score
im always within wifi range so i never loose connection to the web...its too bad verizon doesnt unleash the power they have and allow inet usage and phone over 3g...but meh, not a huge issue 4 me.

Just what is Verizon supposed to "unleash" and "allow inet usage and phone over 3g"? What should they do? Are they just supposed to hit a button on a computer or something? :D

The CDMA standard, which is the standard VZW uses, does not allow simultaneous data and voice usage. Period. VZW can't change this, no matter how much you think they can wave a magic wand or something.

GSM, which AT&T/T-mobile uses, does allow this simultaneous usage.

VZW will eventually use something called "LTE", which also allows this. This is an entirely new cell phone network VZW will build alongside the current CDMA network. This will also require new phones, which means any current VZW phones won't work on LTE (including the Droid).

This is all probably a couple of years or more in the future.

Inundated

Reaction score

Barkleyfan

Reaction score
If ur on wifi u can use voice and data at the same time

It WOULD come in handy to be able to check your visual voicemail while in a call. I can't get Visual VM to run on WiFi.But I've only had my Droid a couple weeks, so it may be my inexperience. I could actually do data and voice simultaneously on my old HTC Kaiser. Unfortunately, it was over an edge connection at dial-up speeds. :icon_rolleyes:

V

volando

just tried fring - it's kinda weird, i couldn't install skype addon after i already signed in, had to reinstall my app to once again get that menu that allowed you to add aim/skype/sip and all that stuff. Listing all the regular phone contacts is also quite unnecessary...

placing a call over 3g (fring -> skype) worked, the person heard me ok - however their voice came in very distorted. Calling my relatives in Europe using sipdroid -> pbxes.org -> skype worked much better (though for some reason i was limited in call duration 3 mins after which a voice told me every time i'm being disconnected)

edit: 3 mins to skype is aparently a pbxes limitation for free accounts :(

hrhkee

Reaction score
If I am using the phone as a GPS in the car - will I get calls?

If I am on a call - can I pull up an email or a contact while talking on the call?

Is VZ planning on going 4G or improve their 3G? If so will the droid still work?

WHAT IS THE UPGRADE PATH FOR THE DROID?

I am not an AT&T spy.... My droid comes in the morning. I defected.

V

volando

hrhkee said:
If I am using the phone as a GPS in the car - will I get calls?
yes, i do this all the time... navigation works fine (although now that i think of it - how? i guess it saves your map data for your trip, so if you decide to go really out of your way maybe it won't be able to get the new maps!)

hrhkee said:
If I am on a call - can I pull up an email or a contact while talking on the call?

you can pull up whatever you have saved on the phone, it won't be able to initiate any new data connections

hrhkee said:
Is VZ planning on going 4G or improve their 3G? If so will the droid still work?

the us is heavily lagging behind other (especially asian) nations, don't hold your breath (2013 at earliest)...

hrhkee said:
WHAT IS THE UPGRADE PATH FOR THE DROID?
the droid itself just came out, chillax... way too early to know!

silverx10

Reaction score
Oh wow, I honestly didn't know that AT&T had a leg to stand on with those commercials. But then again, I've never honestly been in a situation where someone called me to ask me a question regarding a movie showtime, or dinner reservations.

's usually done in texting.

And hell, if Verizon is doing the 4G thing next year, looks like AT&T's aboot to lose said leg.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well they really don't have much of a leg to stand on, as stated, you can only do voice and data on their 3G. which already having seen the commercials for it you should know is very very limited. so while some can do both, alot can not.

metsnfins

Reaction score
maybe a silly question but ..

when verizon switches to 4g, the droid will use it? cause 3g lights up now

bass_lover1

Reaction score
maybe a silly question but ..

when verizon switches to 4g, the droid will use it? cause 3g lights up now

No, the Droid is a 3G device. The 4G networks will not be rolled out entirely until something like 2012, by then you'll probably have a new phone anyway so I wouldn't worry about it.

mevans

Reaction score
im always within wifi range so i never loose connection to the web...its too bad verizon doesnt unleash the power they have and allow inet usage and phone over 3g...but meh, not a huge issue 4 me.

Just what is Verizon supposed to "unleash" and "allow inet usage and phone over 3g"? What should they do? Are they just supposed to hit a button on a computer or something? :D

The CDMA standard, which is the standard VZW uses, does not allow simultaneous data and voice usage. Period. VZW can't change this, no matter how much you think they can wave a magic wand or something.

GSM, which AT&T/T-mobile uses, does allow this simultaneous usage.

VZW will eventually use something called "LTE", which also allows this. This is an entirely new cell phone network VZW will build alongside the current CDMA network. This will also require new phones, which means any current VZW phones won't work on LTE (including the Droid).

This is all probably a couple of years or more in the future.

The CDMA working group just released the specs for CDMA 1x Advanced which allows for a 3G data connection and a 1x call to coexist in the same 1.25MHz channel. Verizon has had the foundation in place to deploy this for a while, so the AT&T commercials will be moot soon.