iPhone can DROID can't?

samredman

Reaction score
I often have a laptop or mini with me or close by... in fact, about the only time I'm not near a computer and I'm on the phone is when I'm driving (and even that's illegal some places)... so often I look stuff up on the computer while on the phone... but, I continue to talk while I'm doing it.

On the Iphone?...I guess they are saying you can continue to talk maybe on the speaker phone while you use your browser.. I guess? I haven't missed not being able to do that yet.

uplate

Reaction score
Amen. It must be a phone first and foremost. All the other is fluff. although nice fluff..

markol91784

Reaction score
When I tried to dial out using the skype app it dialed an 813 area code number to connect. I just got Fring to work and it seems like it is purely VOIP plus I could browse the internet while on the phone call so it must not have been through the phone side and free(well I paod the $3.00 for skype unlimited per month.) You can always log into your verizon account (which I will do later) online and check what numbers you are calling to see if you are being charged.

So if you want to make calls and use the internet I guess you can use Skype or set up some other VOIP service. I am going to try to use my Asterisk server as well.

thrashtrash

Reaction score
hmmm

i am a bit bummed cuz i am coming from an unlocked G1 on att and i used to do this every now and then. is there any chance that voice and data at the same time will be resolved by CDMA networks in the future. CDMA is very new to me so this came as a shock:motdroidhoriz:

Royal2000H

Reaction score
i am a bit bummed cuz i am coming from an unlocked G1 on att and i used to do this every now and then. is there any chance that voice and data at the same time will be resolved by CDMA networks in the future. CDMA is very new to me so this came as a shock:motdroidhoriz:

Nope. It's part of the fundamental protocol. It also wouldn't make sense for them to solve this problem and roll it out to the towers since LTE is very close.

thrashtrash

Reaction score

Nope. It's part of the fundamental protocol. It also wouldn't make sense for them to solve this problem and roll it out to the towers since LTE is very close.
Ok, I always like the sound of ne stuff coming out now all I need to know what LTE is? What does it do and why is it important. Thanks to whom ever can answer me this.

Royal2000H

Reaction score
The two big cell radio technologies in the US are CDMA (Verizon, Sprint) and GSM (pretty much recognized by a SIM card: t-mo, att)... Both have different 3G technologies, but still call it 3G because they were created pretty much around the same time and have similar speeds.

4G is on the horizon, with some companies already having their towers rolled out in some test cities. Two leading methods for 4G are LTE and WiMAX.
Sprint is the only one going with WiMAX, with the rest going for LTE.

LTE is a lottttt faster than 3G and can also handle voice and data at the same time.

thrashtrash

Reaction score
The two big cell radio technologies in the US are CDMA (Verizon, Sprint) and GSM (pretty much recognized by a SIM card: t-mo, att)... Both have different 3G technologies, but still call it 3G because they were created pretty much around the same time and have similar speeds.

4G is on the horizon, with some companies already having their towers rolled out in some test cities. Two leading methods for 4G are LTE and WiMAX.

LTE is a lottttt faster than 3G and can also handle voice and data at the same time.

Wow, thanks a lot man. Good to know. Now is there any set date that cell providers have set as a goal to have this rolled out to end users?

barryp3403

Reaction score

Exactly as above. Because LTE is an evolutionary version of GSM, the same protocol used by most phone carriers outside the USA and everyone except Sprint and Verizon in the USA, it will have swappable SIM cards (in theory allowing you to carry different phones at different times on the same tel. number by swapping your card in and out of the phone similar to the way you can swap an SD card).

Also, because LTE uses internet protocol (IP) where both voice and data are treated as packets you will be able to do both voice and data at the same time. :)

Verizon should start rolling this out by the second half of 2010 and have it completely implemented by about 2013. :biggrin:

Royal2000H

Reaction score
"AT&T Mobility has stated that they intend on upgrading to LTE as their 4G technology in 2011, but will introduce HSUPA and HSPA+ as bridge standards."
"Verizon Wireless completed its first test LTE data calls in August 2009 and plans to deploy LTE beginning in 2010 with system-wide deployment completed in 2013."
(From Wikipedia)

Oh and last time I checked a few months back, it was: start rolling out 2009 and done in 2012 for Verizon.... Looks like things are getting pushed back

barryp3403

Reaction score
I don't know how to post a video clip but I saw this before I got the Droid. Is this video clip showing something different?

Android | Official Website

The video clip you are pointing to shows a G4. This is on the T-mobile network which is GSM and can do both data and voice at the same time. CDMA networks, the type used by Verizon, cannot do both at the same time.:icon_rolleyes:

barryp3403

Reaction score
I don't know how to post a video clip but I saw this before I got the Droid. Is this video clip showing something different?

Android | Official Website

The video clip you are pointing to shows a G4. This is on the T-mobile network which is GSM and can do both data and voice at the same time. CDMA networks, the type used by Verizon, cannot do both at the same time.:icon_rolleyes:

Ooops. I meant the phone is a G1 (not G4).

bikerboy

Reaction score
When I tried to dial out using the skype app it dialed an 813 area code number to connect. I just got Fring to work and it seems like it is purely VOIP plus I could browse the internet while on the phone call so it must not have been through the phone side and free(well I paod the $3.00 for skype unlimited per month.) You can always log into your verizon account (which I will do later) online and check what numbers you are calling to see if you are being charged.

So if you want to make calls and use the internet I guess you can use Skype or set up some other VOIP service. I am going to try to use my Asterisk server as well.
Thats actually a good idea :D thanks

holytotemic

Reaction score
Hmm, I just called myself and tried using the browser to look up a movie. No dice. It seems when a call is in progress, it cuts off internet access.

im always within wifi range so i never loose connection to the web...its too bad verizon doesnt unleash the power they have and allow inet usage and phone over 3g...but meh, not a huge issue 4 me.