Invalid Credentials signing into Gmail on my Droid RAZR

cosher

Reaction score
I found the work around. Trash Messages and the reg email app. Activate the Gmail App by itself. For my other Verizon emails I loaded K-9 and added the accounts. Everything is now working just not under messages.

lrich524

Reaction score
Fixed it

Just got off the phone with Verizon. Had to do a factory data reset, then reinstall everything. Make sure you have everything backed up somewhere. Seems to be working ok now..... fingers crossed.

Riderbob

Reaction score
Same here with the trouble and the fix. Factory data reset and 1/2 the night setting everything back up just the way I like it.
2 days later all seems to be working correctly.
Rider

nikanico

Reaction score
I just called Motorola customer service. They transferred me to their "Droid" department. The guy wasn't really listening to me when I said I was having this problem for the past week. He just kept telling me the problem was because their "email servers were down indefinitely since yesterday". I repeatedly told him that I was having the problem way before yesterday but he wouldn't acknowledge that I was saying that. He just kept telling me to wait until their servers were back up and the problem would be fixed. So basically they were no help at all.

ECFoecking

Reaction score
It is rubbish the only way, so far, out of this problem seems to be a Factory Reset. Software created this error and there should be a software way to resolve it IF the support teams are so inclined, either by being a conscientious service provider or by customer demand. Of course, one course of action builds customer support and the other undermines it.

nikanico

Reaction score
"I found the work around. Trash Messages and the reg email app. Activate the Gmail App by itself. For my other Verizon emails I loaded K-9 and added the accounts. Everything is now working just not under messages."

Did you find a way to uninstall the email and messages apps or did you just hide them? I can only find a way to hide them.

Dpbraswell

Reaction score
Did some research as I just bought my Droid Razr yesterday and could not set up my Comcast email. The consunsus is that email push with Comcast will not work on 4G and this has been going on for a couple of weeks. Comcast is blaming Verizion, Verizon is blaming Comcast. For me, when I finally switched to 3G I could set up the Comcast email and it worked fine but when I switched backed to 4G it stopped responding stating that it could not connect to the Comcast server. This is true with the stock email and K9.

joni99005

Reaction score
update on my problem

I'm having the same problem with my Droid4. Haven't been able to connect with any of my email accts since 4:30 pm yesterday. Going to Playstore didn't help, and it also won't let me sign on to Gmail, hotmail, aol. Hoping there is a solution

None of the work arounds seemed to do it. Finally called Verizon tech support, and ended up with a factory boot. Good thing I only had it a week and not too much time to add things. Oh well. Seems to work now.

JMoney23

Reaction score
Been having the same problem, if anyone knows how to fix it please send me an email! Would love how to fix this problem, and it could probably be the update.

Dpbraswell

Reaction score
None of the work arounds seemed to do it. Finally called Verizon tech support, and ended up with a factory boot. Good thing I only had it a week and not too much time to add things. Oh well. Seems to work now.

I did the factory reboot as well but still was not able to connect to my COMCAST email.

cosher

Reaction score
"I found the work around. Trash Messages and the reg email app. Activate the Gmail App by itself. For my other Verizon emails I loaded K-9 and added the accounts. Everything is now working just not under messages."

Did you find a way to uninstall the email and messages apps or did you just hide them? I can only find a way to hide them.

No, they are still there but not active.

PaulGood

Reaction score
Invalid Credentials Error Ideas and Options

Invalid Credentials Gmail Issue - Droid Razr Maxx from Paul - 06/24/2012

Here’s a couple of ideas that might help you get going again. It worked for me.

I spoke with Verizonwireless and according to them, although the Ice Cream Sandwich software upgrade is starting to roll out for the Razr, they said it does not automatically push to the phone. You have to go to Settings/About Phone/System Upgrades to Check for Upgrades and see if its available on your device.

So this should not be the cause of this issue.

(FYI, I would recommend not downloading the upgrade for a few months until the inevitable “new app shake out” occurs and some “Updates” are done.)

From my testing so far, the problem only seems to appear when using the Motorola “Messages” application and only with the Gmail app within it, not with accounts established under the “@” Email icon. Please let me know if you have found otherwise.

Here is one possible cause of the problem:

Does anyone having this issue have an “M” Gmail account they set up to pull emails that is a duplicate of the “core” email? To see the difference, on your Razr go to: Settings/Accounts and it will display the core email as a Black and White “g”. The non-core Gmail has an “M” icon.

I’m wondering if Motorola’s “Messages” app is conflicted by having two identical gmail accounts in the same area? (“g” and “M” accounts being the same)

My wife and I both have Razr Maxx phones. (I’m completing a review on it this week).

On my Razr Maxx, I have the core account email (the Black and White “g” for google), set to a Gmail address that does not have a duplicate Google “M” gmail account in my phone accounts. (I use this Gmail account as the account in Gmail “on the web” to consolidate multiple email addresses into one place for convenience.)

I used this email address as the core because the “core” email does not actually pull email, (you have to set up an “M” account to do that). It also matches my Google Play/Market email address, which is important.

Google Play/Market looks to your phone’s “core” Gmail account to match up your “My Apps” list in the store for keeping track of the apps you’ve downloaded. So you want them to be the same.

On my Razr I set up only the individual Gmail “M” email accounts and non-Gmail POP accounts (using the “@” Email for them), that I wanted to pull to my phone and none of them duplicate the core Gmail name.

So far anyway, I have not experienced this issue.

However, on my wife’s Razr Maxx, she is experiencing this problem.

The one difference I can find is that her core Gmail (Black and White “g”) account is also duplicated as her default Gmail “M” account on the phone. I set it up using the google “M” icon under the Motorola “Messages” App, as you would expect (vs using the alternate “@” Email POP icon in the same area).

When this problem occurred for her, I set up the same Gmail account using the “@” Email in the same area and it pulled correctly. (just not imap).

But that left her with a Universal Mail box with a broken Gmail account I cannot delete, and a working, identically named, email that does work in the same area.

Because I don’t want her to be confused by this, I simply put the Motorola “Messages” app into the Trash, went to Google Play and downloaded the Gmail “Top Developer” version of the Gmail App. I set it up where the Messages icon used to be on her phone and it works perfectly.

Although it’s not as pretty at the Motorola presentation, the Gmail app does have a big efficiency advantage: The Google app has a fast delete/archive check box located next to every email, allowing multiple emails to be marked and deleted simultaneously. (Nice)

The only other item in her Universal box was Text, and that appears at the bottom of her fixed icon bar visible on every screen on the Razr. So that’s still conveniently located.

If Motorola fixes the problem with their app, I could always put back her Motorola Universal Email box, if she wants it. But for now, we don’t have to do a “Factory Data Reset” the wipes out all the personalization she has and everything appears to be convenient and working fine.

One other option for now, to potentially avoid the deadly “Factory Data Reset” approach, could be this:

If your core Gmail account does match the email account you picked for the Google Play/Market, Leave the core (Black and White “g” Gmail) account in place on your phone. (If not, this might be a reason to do the Factory Data Reset, and make them the same. The Reset is the only way to change the core Gmail address on your phone.)

Next, create a new Gmail account in Gmail on the web. Within Gmail on the web, set it up to pull your other emails to this new Gmail account (Gmail has a feature that allows you to automatically pull up to 5 email addresses into the one Gmail account for you.

(When logged in to Gmail on the web, see “Accounts and Import” under the Settings Gear Icon on the far right upper corner of the Gmail screen.)

Then establish that one email on your phone as the “M” Gmail account the phone reads.

This will give you a unique, single “Universal” email you create via Gmail, rather than having multiple separate accounts set up on your phone. You can then manage the accounts from the web within Gmail, if you need to.

If you need to separate any email address or have an enterprise corporate email on your phone you can add that account to your phone. Just be sure you don’t use an email address that duplicates the core Gmail address, in case this duplicate issue is the issue.

One other thought. If this “Invalid Credentials” problem is occurring due to this duplicate email name issue, the “Factory Data Reset” may not be a permanent fix, unless Motorola fixes their app.

Hopefully some of these options may keep you from having to do a Reset and should work long term for you, especially if a Motorola fix takes time.
All the best, Paul G.

TheHeavyJ

Reaction score
Invalid Credentials Gmail Issue - Droid Razr Maxx from Paul - GreatStuffThatWorks.com 06/24/2012

From my testing so far, the problem only seems to appear when using the Motorola “Messages” application and only with the Gmail app within it, not with accounts established under the “@” Email icon. Please let me know if you have found otherwise.

I first noticed the issue in the gmail accounts established under the "@" Email icon. I have the same problem in the Messaging app.

Invalid Credentials Gmail Issue - Droid Razr Maxx from Paul - GreatStuffThatWorks.com 06/24/2012

Here is one possible cause of the problem:
Does anyone having this issue have an “M” Gmail account they set up to pull emails that is a duplicate of the “core” email? To see the difference, on your Razr go to: Settings/Accounts and it will display the core email as a Black and White “g”. The non-core Gmail has an “M” icon.
I’m wondering if Motorola’s “Messages” app is conflicted by having two identical gmail accounts in the same area? (“g” and “M” accounts being the same)

I did have identical accounts as described above. I removed the suspected culprits, restarted, but the issue persists. I did not set up one gmail account to pull emails from others as suggested however.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

DISCLAIMER: I am at work, so I will retry later to make sure I am not missing something from the original post.

ECFoecking

Reaction score
Paul,
Great information and thank you. I am nto sure I follow all you said about the various Gmail accounts but that is not what is happening with me. In my case, my Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail accounts (All push on the RAZR MAXX) get this "invalid certificate" error and are no longer able to access the acount through the phone. Also, I only have one Gmail account.
In my opinion, this issue is a software issue and should be resolved by software. The Factory Reset is nothing more than a cop-out by whoever developed and maintains this code (Verizon or Motorola) and IS NOT A REASONABLE SOLUTION. I also agree with you in that if the root cause that caused this in the first place is not resolved, it can happen again.
I have spent over 30 hours reloading and reconfiguring apps/software on my new MAXX and I am not excited at all about having to do it again. Hopefully, more folks in this Forum can express their disgust with how this has been handled so far and encourage the suppliers to do a better job.

Thanks again - your information is really good.

Eric