Introduction

mrjorgejones

Reaction score
Hi all!

I figured I'd go ahead and post my introduction, even though I've already posted in another forum somewheres around here.

My name's Jorge, I live in central Connecticut. I work part-time at a local pizza place, and I run a small computer service business out of my apartment. I live on a street that's lined on both sides for two miles by large apartment complexes (I think the population of this area alone is approaching 10,000), so I basically just provide tech support to my community, and they pay me for it. Helps pay the bills, ya know?

A couple of years ago or so, I was running a small UnrealIRCd shell in a small Windows box out of my home, for a little community of online friends. There was only about 50 of us total, with there rarely more than 25 on at a time, so it worked perfectly off of my home cable connection. However, we had our fair share of malicious users, so I was ever-vigilant in keeping my small little server protected and running.

One of my buddies suggested I look into getting a G1, because it could run IRC clients, so that I'd be able to log into the server when I wasn't home, provide support to the regulars and push commands to services if someone was abusing the system or doing something else that they shouldn't be doing.

So, I went ahead and got it, the T-Mobile store here was having some kind of special, and I have sworn by Android since.

I've owned:

The T-Mobile G1

Motorola CLIQ (which I quickly gave up in favor for my G1)

Garmin-ASUS Garminfone (was a rather underwhelming device, but I did manage to put 2.1 on it and root it, so while it was still a crappy phone it was marginally less crappy than everyone else's Garminfone. =D)

HTC EVO 4G (was less than satisified with Sprint, so I gave that up)

And now, my Motorola Droid X. =D

So, I've spent the last two or three days pimping my beloved Droid X out. Currently, it's on 2.3.32, and I've flashed the Liberty 2.0.1 ROM, theme'd it with a theme called "Watermark'd", SPB Shell 3D as my launcher, and all sorts of other goodies. I'm very happy with it.

I even went so far as to root and flash my girlfriend's Samsung Fascinate with SuperClean; it has really sped her phone up quite a bit, and she's very happy with it.

Let me again say thanks to everyone here, because 90% all of the information I needed, going from knowing very little to knowing as much as I do now, I read in various places on THIS forum.

So, mad props to the members of droidforums.net, and I'm living proof of the axiom that if you have a question, it's likely someone has asked it before, and one should at least give it a college try in searching for it. =P

Cheers all, and thanks again!

meshdub

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! May I ask why you were dissatisfied with Sprint? I might be ditching Verizon for some other device, so would like to know your side of the story.

OP
M

mrjorgejones

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! May I ask why you were dissatisfied with Sprint? I might be ditching Verizon for some other device, so would like to know your side of the story.

Where to begin.

1) Data connection was spotty for the first few weeks, took Sprint customer service several days to sort it out for me.

2) 4G is limited where I live

3) Billing was a nightmare; Sprint has a tendency to throw in surcharges for anything and everything. For example, I originally signed up with Sprint with the LG Optimus S. It was a nice device, but I decided I wanted to upgrade to the EVO, three days later. I paid the price difference, and went on my merry way. My girlfriend did the same thing, originally signing up with the Samsung Transform, then switching up to the Samsung Epic 4G. End of the month rolls around, and I notice there are two charges for $19.09 on my bill, called a "Device Upgrade Surcharge" I called up Sprint to see what that was all about...turns out, even though I was inside of my exchange period, they CHARGED me for giving them MORE money.

That, and the "Spending Limit Program". Sprint's plan allows you a certain dollar amount above your usual bill to spend on things like ringtones, wallpapers, and other content that they deliver. There's a $5.99 charge for each line for this program. And no, you cannot opt out of it.

3) Getting them on the phone is tough. Wait times are long, which I understand, but I don't appreciate being transferred three or four times per call, which happened the many times I tried to get in touch with customer service. In addition, each time I was transferred, I had to completely re-verify my identity, giving them my name, address, phone number, last four of my social, AND my account PIN. I'm all for security but jeez.

That basically sums up my experience with Sprint. The biggest thing for me is that my bill wasn't the same every month, it varied a lot, and by significant amounts.

I'm sure my experience is atypical, but I used to be with T-Mo, and I prefer them over Sprint. Verizon has done me solid so far, can't complain.

Hope that helps!