Intro & Need Advice on New Smartphone

suburbanite

Reaction score
Hello All,

I’m deciding which smartphone will be my next.

MY EXPERIENCE/BIO

I got my first smartphone, a Motorola Droid X2, through Verizon in June 2011 and have had it ever since.
I like the Android platform better than IOS; I like the availability of widgets for system settings on my home screen, I like Google’s services, syncability with W7, the nonproprietary connector, etc.
With my Droid X2, though, I’ve come to loathe that my phone is still running Android 2.3 and that it has so many carrier apps which I can’t get rid of.

I initially directed my loathing toward Motorola but I now understand it’s not only the OEM but also the carrier who plays a part in whether and when given update is pushed to the user. My understanding of the Android update process is (1) Google releases the update, (2) the OEM decides if the update is applicable to a given device, (3) the OEM maybe applies the update to that device, (4) the OEM releases that update to the carrier, (5) the carrier decides whether to apply that update to the device, (6) the carrier maybe applies the update to the device but with user functionality restrictions, (7) several months later, the user finally maybe gets the update.

My understanding of the updating process being what it is, I want either a smartphone directly from Google, e.g. a Nexus 4 or Nexus X, or the closest equivalently-pure and instant/fast-updated Android phone from one of the OEM’s.

What I really want in a device:
• <5” display
• High-resolution display
• Fast CPU
• No carrier apps
• No carrier OS restrictions

What I want but what I can compromise on:
• High-fidelity audio
o Something on par with a Walkman or a Cowan device
o Something with a strong amplifier

What I am willing to sacrifice in a device:
• Removable battery
• Removable SD card
• Social media app customizations

What I’d like in a carrier:
• Fewest restrictions to the phone’s functionality
• No contract required

I’m also considering an iPhone or a Windows 8 phone though I know both Apple and Microsoft will want me to use their services if I get one of their phones.

I can still go either Android, IOS or Windows 8, though.

I welcome any recommendations and any advice.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Welcome to Droid Forums!! I am sorry to say I do not have a lot of info on the newer devices, kind of been out of the loop for a bit. But I am sure someone will come along with a little more up to date info that can help out.

Good luck making your decision!!

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Definitely some nice devices out there and more coming on the horizon...if you get a chance to get some hands on time in stores in your area, definitely one of the best ways to narrow down which devices will work for ya...good luck!

S

SFGate

Welcome to the site. Hope you are happy with your choice of a new phone. DancingNexus