Int'l Roaming (No 3g - limited Edge connection?) Help

Sagnew

Reaction score
Hello -
Have a Droid 2 Global and have been traveling around Asia for the last 3 months. During this time I would estimate that 50% of the time I am unable to establish a data connection, and if I do...it's what I assume is the Edge network? (there is the E icon in the upper right). Never 3G. There are times that I will show a full five bars of service but will not be able to pull any data for hours - then suddenly, out of nowhere I will have a data connection.

I have all three data options tuned on (from Data Delivery), GSM/UMTS selected as the Network Mode, and "Select Automatically" selected for the operator selection. I have manually selected various 3G networks, but can never connect to the,.

Two questions. One - should I be able to use data no matter where I am if I am showing a 5 bar connection? Two - Is there any setting that I am missing to enable 3G while roaming internationally.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Ps. I am very lucky having signed up for the VZW unlimited global data package during it's last few days.

haro

Reaction score
Did u set ur apn correctly?
Did u check battery manager?
Do a battery pull out reboot wit simkad removed n reinsert after a few minute..

Sent from my bloATED D2G on Tapatalk

OP
S

Sagnew

Reaction score
Yes to pulling battery and battery manager

But I am unfamiliar with the APN settings.
Currently I am given two options :
emgsm.vzw3g.com
and
dungsm.vzw3g.com

Should I be adding another one ?

silver6054

Reaction score
Hello -
Have a Droid 2 Global and have been traveling around Asia for the last 3 months. During this time I would estimate that 50% of the time I am unable to establish a data connection, and if I do...it's what I assume is the Edge network? (there is the E icon in the upper right). Never 3G. There are times that I will show a full five bars of service but will not be able to pull any data for hours - then suddenly, out of nowhere I will have a data connection.

I have all three data options tuned on (from Data Delivery), GSM/UMTS selected as the Network Mode, and "Select Automatically" selected for the operator selection. I have manually selected various 3G networks, but can never connect to the,.

Two questions. One - should I be able to use data no matter where I am if I am showing a 5 bar connection? Two - Is there any setting that I am missing to enable 3G while roaming internationally.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Ps. I am very lucky having signed up for the VZW unlimited global data package during it's last few days.

Well, the number of bars is signal strength, not an indication of 3G or otherwise, so it is possible that you are sometimes in areas where there is no 3G data. (The VZ blurb says the phone works in over 220 countries with 3G data in 125 of them, but of course even within the 125 countries there will be regions of no coverage).

That said, some people have reported issues with using both local and the VZ SIM. Have you tried contacting Global Services?

freightdog

Reaction score
I have the same problem, losing data service often, and weak, marginal signal most of the time. I am not often in the sticks, this is in large cities. I had a blackberry prior to this and had very strong signal and no data service losses in all the same places. I also have a company blackberry with me all the time and while it is on a different network, it has rock solid full bar signal in the same places where the droid 2 global is losing data service constantly. Could it be a problem with the gsm antenna or chip on these phones?

bretto99

Reaction score
basically the same issue

I have a Thunderbolt. When I roam in Canada my data connection seems to drop fairly regularly. I have the setting set to allow data when roaming, but when I lose the connection the notification says something like 'data connection lost due to roaming' -something along those lines. The data connection is 1xRTT (3g CDMA) since 700 mhz 4G is not yet available. Like freightdog, I have a Verizon blackberry storm which roams in the same places with no connectivity issues at all. 3g and 4G on the thunderbolt is super stable and fast in the US.

Last edited: