International calling thru wifi?

Reaction score
If I was going to peru where my verizon service probably didn't work, but I could still connect wifi, what programs could I use to make phone calls thru wifi?

Skype, or google voice, or? I don't necessarily need free, I just need to make calls using the wifi.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Skype Mobile is a hybrid VOIP -- all outgoing and incoming calls are handled through a number that Verizon doesn't charge for, except in-country (usa) calls, which are done directly through the plan minutes. It does not work on WiFi -- it closes if WiFi is turned on.

You'll need a VOIP client like Fring (I don't know if Fring will even work for you, but it's the first one that comes to mind) from the market. Seek and maybe you will find. There are a few VOIP clients for your Droid.

OP
steveninspokane
Reaction score
So Google voice is the same thing, doesn't work over wifi either?

BTW, thanks for the reply.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure it dials out via the voice plan, because when I was reading up how to get a VOIP client on my phone so I could talk to people via by Bluetooth headset when I was driving and not have to ask them to pay for international rates the directions/explanation involved monitoring a phone number and putting it on the F&F plan...

Anyway, I'm sure there are some that would do it, but you'd probably have to set something up before you left, not that you weren't counting on having to do that anyway.

Were you going to be calling people on cell phones, land lines, or were you looking at basically using your phone as a voice chat mic/speaker to people who would be on their computers/cell phones?

I don't know how it'd work, but you might look into a Skype/VOIP handset and setting up a Skype account. I think they have wireless ones that don't require hooking into a PC, but I honestly don't know if there's a lot more setup than that which would make using it in a foreign country impossible.