Installed Gingerbread ROM, BAD IDEA!!!

slikrider20

Reaction score
So i installed the gingerbread using this tutorial and link

How To Install Android 2.3 Gingerbread on HTC Droid Eris - Tutorial

And everything installed fine, however it runs EXTREMELY slow and now it won't connect to my computer and the market place is gone. I should have read more into this. What is the best way to get this thing back to my old rom?

I installed ROM manager like it said in that tutorial and backed everything up, but i have no idea where it even backed up to. And i can't reinstall the app without the market place. Someone give me a hand! Thanks

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
So i installed the gingerbread using this tutorial and link

How To Install Android 2.3 Gingerbread on HTC Droid Eris - Tutorial

And everything installed fine, however it runs EXTREMELY slow and now it won't connect to my computer and the market place is gone. I should have read more into this. What is the best way to get this thing back to my old rom?

I installed ROM manager like it said in that tutorial and backed everything up, but i have no idea where it even backed up to. And i can't reinstall the app without the market place. Someone give me a hand! Thanks

Sounds like you didn't flash the gapps rom. After flashing with GSB you need flash gapps get google apps back. Also, there is a thread somewhere about what to turn off and on in gingerbread to make it run faster. I will have to find it.

I have GingerShedBread on my Eris and it flies (overclocked with SetCPU).

OP
S

slikrider20

Reaction score
I installed the rom in the tutorial i posted above. It says its KaosGingerbread V6 in my Build number. I still have the problem where i can't get my computer to recognize my phone. It allows me to eject the Phone, but won't actually let me access the files. It doesn't even prompt me to copy files to my computer when i connect it. Basically, i just need to figure out a way to get my computer to recognize the phone and everything after that should be simple.

OP
S

slikrider20

Reaction score
Here's another thing. I tried booting into recovery mode, and it worked except i can't scroll up or down. It's just stuck on reboot system. It lets me do that but i can't scroll to anything else!!!!!! Gahhhhhhh

mamawm

Reaction score
ok, here's my suggestions. first let's try to get your phone restored to it's previous setup. here's a link for using amon ra recovery without a usable trackball, be sure to read all the way to the bottom of the post before you do anything http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/214240-amon_ra-1-6-2-custom-recovery-trackball-not-required.html.
after this, if you still want to flash gingerbread, go check out gsb and gingertazz over at xda. at this point in time kaos rom is only half baked and not receiving much support from what i read. gsb and tazz are both stable at this point and receiving great support. tazz was written for the hero and tweaked to work on the eris and gsb was written specifically for the eris, and that's why most of us here are running gsb. neither of them are final builds and as such have minor glitches here and there but nothing like what you have seen with kaos at this point in time.

good luck, i really hope this helps.

OP
S

slikrider20

Reaction score
^Thanks for the reply. It seems that the link you posted is asking me to copy a zip file to my phone (Scenario 3, rooted with Non-stock ROM & 1.6.2.

This would work except my computer will NOT recognize my phone. I'm running windows 7. If i plug it in, it allows me to "Eject android phone" on the bottom right, but nothing shows up in my computer. I have USB debugging enabled........

illmatic636

Reaction score
Mount your USB mass storage through recovery. Dump the Gapps for the CM7 flash it and reboot.

You may need to install HTC Sync in order for Windows to recognize your device.

This however is a quick fix.

OP
S

slikrider20

Reaction score
Mount your USB mass storage through recovery. Dump the Gapps for the CM7 flash it and reboot.

You may need to install HTC Sync in order for Windows to recognize your device.

This however is a quick fix.

I can't scroll to anything in recovery..........It let me once, but that was it. I've rebooted into recovery probably 30 times now and it hasn't let me scroll to anything since.

illmatic636

Reaction score
have you tried removing your sd card and putting it back? What recovery are you using?

illmatic636

Reaction score
Yes, and it says Build: RA-eris-v1.6.2

Well, you say you can't scroll anywhere on recovery?

I hope you can. You need to get an sd card reader for your computer. Then dump Gingerbread Rom zip on the root of your sd card. Rename that zip to (Update)
Put the sd card back into the device and select update zip.

Then after that, repeat the same step to flash the gapps zip. Remember to rename the ZIP update.(you'll have to remove the previous update zip you renamed) Once you boot up from that you should have Gingerbread and all your google apps.

OP
S

slikrider20

Reaction score
I can't move anywhere in recovery. If i could, this would be a simple fix. Flash a new rom and be done with it. I can't get any apps, and i can't do anything in recovery mode, and i can't access the phone from my computer. This is why i am having so much trouble with this all.

OP
S

slikrider20

Reaction score
Is there a website where i could download a file manager directly from my phone? So far, everything i've seen has to be synced to my gmail account. I also am not allowed to sign into this on my version of Ginger.

OP
S

slikrider20

Reaction score
Now i have more problems. I managed to find an APK for ROM Manager and put the new rom on my card and renamed it update. But now when i try to install a rom, it asks me if i want to do it, then i hit ok for it to reboot and install the rom. As soon as i hit ok, nothing happens. I also tried going to the backup imade before and restoring that and it does the same thing. I hit ok and it just doesn't do anything!

I've also tried re rooting my phone because i thought this might be the problem. I get the app, hit ok to root my phone, and NOTHING happens. Something in my phone is limiting me from making changes, i just don't know what. SOMEONE get me out of this

Last edited: