Infrared emmitter?

silentslayer

Reaction score
I am posting here because I imagine the hackers would know the most about this, by mere luck or rather fate...as I was rooting my droid x when I hooked it up to my cpu I noticed the ir reciever on my computer was going crazy. When I cover the front of my phone (by the speaker) with my hand it stops.....I know the droid is constantly emitting an infrared signal...but why??? The reason for this I havnt been able to find after some searching I only really found people claiming the droid has no such emitter. But I am no simpleton and know for a FACT the droid x emits ir. I just don't know why. I've owned a orig moto droid (hacked it)and in the last 3 days upgraded to a droid x...currently hacking. I just don't grasp the purpose of this emitted or if it is coupled with a reciever. I hope someone can shed some light on this. I've been lurking these forums for quite some time now...this is where I learned to hack my orig droid. I know there's several EXTREMELY intelligent people here and hope someone can shed some light on this (rather suspicious) infrared emitter.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I believe it is indeed coupled with a reciever and they work in conjunction as the proximity sensor if memory serves.

tappin and a talkin

OP
S

silentslayer

Reaction score
I believe it is indeed coupled with a reciever and they work in conjunction as the proximity sensor if memory serves.

tappin and a talkin

I have come to realize its not a very strong emission as tested with a few photographic devices I own aginst the emission of a typical remote...but has anyone figured a way to use this for another purpose. Ex: universal remote, data transfer with other ir devices. And could someone shed a little more light on this proximity sensor? This if the first of me hearing of such a device....other than a videogame or warfare devices.....

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
.but has anyone figured a way to use this for another purpose. Ex: universal remote, data transfer with other ir devices. And could someone shed a little more light on this proximity sensor? This if the first of me hearing of such a device....other than a videogame or warfare devices.....

It's been talked about before, IIRC can't be done.

The proximity sensor turns off the screen when it's placed to the side of your face to prevent hanging up on the person you are talking to.

phishfi

Reaction score
Yeah the ir emitter is just a real simple that way to keep from cheek dialing. I'm sure it's possible to use it another way but it's gotta be a really simple emitter/receiver

Sent from my "Stock" DX