Indie Developers Outraged as Google Requires a Published Physical Address on Play Store

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
@cereal killer... you need to actually read the whole story brutha! ;)

It specifically points out that a PO Box won't work. You have to provide a "physical" address.

Also, @badtoy1986... you also must have missed in the story where it explains that the address will be seen by all Google Play users.
Use mailbox express or UPS store and rent a box. It is a "physical address" and not a po box, but allows privacy so some dude who is mad that his app that he spent $1 for crashed and now he want to show up at your house.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
There is no way I'm submitting my address, if it were a legality issue and it wasn't published then maybe....as it stands Google can take a flying leap.

I'm already aggravated at the direction the Android platform is headed and now this, just ugh.

5squared

Reaction score
No way.. Google already knows everything about us. I do icon packs and people get freaky DEMANDING personal icons. One girl kept sending me a pic of her boyfriend because she wanted an

5squared

Reaction score
Oops. Icon of him for free. Another wanted hockey-mask dude from Friday the 13th because it would be "way cool". If either of those people lived around Richmond, VA, it wouldn't surprise me if they knocked on my door... With a chainsaw..

KarinAZ

Reaction score
Instead of a PO Box at a post office, developers should instead go to places like a UPS store or Mailboxes Etc. . Then the address is something like : Joe Smith, 147 E. Bay St, #345, Detroit MI, 48112. There's also places people like full time RV'rs use that have physical address like what I listed and they'll forward to your true address.

subzero2000

Reaction score
I would suggest the following:

POTUS
1600 Pennsylvania Ave.
Washington, DC 20500-0001

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
There's this gas station right down the street...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
In the past I actually had a PO Box and was informed I needed to use a physical address for a business dealing. I asked the postmaster and she said the simplest and most legal way to do it is to use the physical address of the post office and then place my box number immediately after. So my "address" was 444 Township Line Road, box ####, Havertown, PA 19083. I used that "address" for over 14 years with no repercussions.

She informed me that since it's a government postal office, not a "business", and I do have a legal box, it is in fact my legal address in the eyes of the law. It's not my legal place of residence but that was not what was asked of me.

As far as Mailboxes Etc., or other similar "addresses", since they are not a "legal address" for me but only for the business that operates there, they can be called into question legally.

rdmatear

Reaction score
That's just crazy, unless those addresses are kept private. But I'm sure this will be revised shortly

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
With all due respect guys, Google can require any information they feel necessary from those who wish to sell their product via the Play Store.
There are no laws that mandate what information a company may require in order for anyone to do business with them.
Banks require home and business addresses, Social Security Number, All your phone numbers and contact information of the closest relative not living with you. If you refuse this information, they will refuse to do business with you.
The choice is clearly yours...

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
A bank nor any other business allows this information to be viewable to the masses @Jeffrey, like I previously stated if this information was kept private then I would be much less likely to object.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
A bank nor any other business allows this information to be viewable to the masses @Jeffrey, like I previously stated if this information was kept private then I would be much less likely to object.

This is what banks can share..

The types of personal information collected and shared depends on the products or service you have.

This information can include:
  • Social Security number address and employment information
  • account balances, transaction history and credit information
  • assets and investment experience
As I stated, there clearly is a choice.

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I knew you would come back with banks "Can share...".

Sharing information privately among other financial institutions and placing it where everyone can see is two different things.

This is our home address in most cases, not a business. I would not risk the safety of my children because Google decides to change policy. And to make myself even more clear, had this policy been in effect when I became a publisher I would have simply choose to not to become a publisher.

I won't comply with this nor will any other sane individual who values their families privacy.

You act like we should just roll over and take it or abandon ship if we don't like it. Never mind the countless hours we have spent developing the apps, supporting the user base and building a brand.

I'm actually offended by this move, much more than you obviously.

Last edited:

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I am not saying anyone should roll over. I didn't say I agree. I did say that companies can require any information they feel is necessary in a business relationship.

I did say, there is clearly a choice.

Personally, I would not comply...