Incredible Power Button Issues

SpeedDemon88x

Reaction score
Hey folks, a buddy of mine just bought the new Iphone for Verizon and gave me his old Incredible. The issue with the phone is, the power button is not working at all. The button feels a bit "soft" and does not make any clicking feel or noise when pressed. At this point, the only way to turn the phone on or off is to remove the battery and re insert it. I called verizon and they said that they cannot do anything to help as the phone was purchased by my friend. A local repair shop is going to charge me 45 dollars to fix the button. The battery cover is not the issue, as the button does not work even with it off. Any suggestions or am I stuck paying 45 dollars to fix it?

illmatic636

Reaction score
If your mechanically incline, buy the screw driver set necessary for the Inc and open it up. Be careful and trace your steps. As you already realize, this is a hardware issue. Otherwise you'll have to pay someone to do it for you. The screw drivers are about 7 bucks.

Or do this. Take out the battery and clean the top of the Dinc with a light damp alcohol swab or tissue. Not too damp. Let are dry and put your batter back in and fire it up.

OP
S

SpeedDemon88x

Reaction score
Have you tried Googling the issue? Also, do you know if the phone is rooted? If you are, someone found a solution to the same problem here (Anything that would cause the power button not to work? - Android Forums) I know that Verizon won't replace your phone, but this may help.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

I have googled it, and no it was never rooted. I'm going to try and use an alcohol swab, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Even if I do buy the torx bit to open the phone up, I honestly don't know what I'd do to fix it.

illmatic636

Reaction score
It may be something in it's path somehow, just be careful and make sure your not distracted. Simply opening it can rectify the problem in some cases.. Minor adjustments.

Good luck. And $45 is not bad for that phone, FYI :)

knivesout

Reaction score
If you're somewhat tech savvy, you can root the phone and install custom ROMs that have the feature of using the trackpad to wake the phone.

Jarosg803

Reaction score
If you're somewhat tech savvy, you can root the phone and install custom ROMs that have the feature of using the trackpad to wake the phone.

That's a very good possibility. I'm also sure that you could find many walkthroughs and videos concerning entirely dismantling and rebuilding you phone if you wanted to go that route. I'm now very good at taking apart PSP's because of this, and I knew absolutely nothing in the beginning. It just takes a little time. (Yes I know. Completely different device, but it's the only example that I have.)

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

[email protected]

Reaction score
Power button probably stuck on

This sounds like the same problem that my DInc had, and unfortunately my solution was a warranty repair. The problem is not the the button is stuck off, but rather that it is stuck on. (It boots immediately upon inserting the battery, normally you must push the power button after inserting the battery for it to boot.)

The other problem to think about is that any action that requires you to push the power button will not work (hard reset of an unrooted phone, selecting an item from the boot menu).

The Verizon rep told me that this is a known problem with early DIncs (I got mine via a pre-order). Good luck with your power button repair. I think that everything will hinge on getting this working. if it work, please post, it will help others.

cwaynerun1

Reaction score
I had the exact same issue. After doing a ton of reasearch on this subject, I realized that it's not the power button getting breaking, but instead its getting stuck in the down position. I found that by taking the battery cover off and removing the internal backing (I didn't have any screwdrivers/hex heads at work, so I used a pair of scissors) and using a can of air to blow out the incredibly small power button, I was able to clear it out. I still have an issue with it from time to time, but I just do the same thing and it works for a while. Hope this helps if its not already smashed in to a million pieces.

cris

Reaction score
mine quit last night, the phone comes on only when i recieve a call once the screen goes off after the delay thats it, i made a post about mine but no one responded to it, i called today and got my 6th replacement phone, the lady said she noted if i have another warranty issue they would get me in a different one. yea right. it happend a while back but cleared up after this post. but now its out totally

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-incredible-tech-issues/157568-power-switch-mot-working.html

Last edited: