Incredible: ALL apps force close on startup

anthonym83

Reaction score
My phone was working fine. Turned it off properly. Switched battery. Turned back on.

I was at the keyboards setup screen. I pressed skip or next or something and all applications I had download that were running quit one by one. I had a whole stack of "force close" notifications.

Then all my widgests said "Problem Loading Gadget" on my screens.
If I open any non original application, it immediately closes.

I haven't installed any new applications in maybe a couple weeks. I haven't downloaded anything to my phone. Last thing I was doing was on the Verizon wirelss site from my phone browser and text messaging.

Any ideas?

OP
A

anthonym83

Reaction score
Update. Much earlier today I was using a Stewie Soundboard application (sound files from Family Guy TV show). I've used it before...and probably the last app I downloaded. No problems when I used it before.

The only strange thing is, now I can't find the application at all. I looked in my apps list. In my Manage program app. It's like it's as if I had uninstalled it. Kind of worried it might have been a virus app?

Oh and some non original apps are working...but most are not.

droidman101

Reaction score
if you have antivirus or an app killer uninstall it, since theres been issues with them and its shown they dont work, no matter what

OP
A

anthonym83

Reaction score
Well uninstalled Lookout AntiVirus but no change. Some programs that keep specifically quitting are ColorNote, Taskos, Pandora, and Find My Phone and the Power Controls widget that came with the phone.

Noticed that if I uninstall then re-install programs they start working normally. But this is treating the symptoms not cause.

Any ideas on what made these programs which never ever gave me issues suddenly go suicidal on me? All recent installs have been uninstalled.

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
I don't think Lookout Mobile will be the issue. Sounds like you have an app that is not playing nice.

I am going to ask that this thread be moved to the Incredible Rescue Squad section for further assistance.

OP
A

anthonym83

Reaction score
Any thoughts....
How do I find this offending app?

rsarno

Reaction score
same issue, no TK or anti virus at all.

What caused it? Obviously i have to reload everything.

Some apps are even gone altogether! Like Angry Birds ... which pissed me off because i got pretty far.

Was driving and rebooted phone, turned back on and got a bunch of FC's. Reinstalled SmartKeyboard and that works fine now, but didnt have time to try others.

Any feedback?

OP
A

anthonym83

Reaction score
Additionally my battery has been dying like crazy. All the usual settings are off like GPS and auto refresh just like before the issue occurred. Says battery is being used by standby and idle.

jgordon00

Reaction score
I have the EXACT same issue and it just started today. I had been using my Incredible just fine. Turned it off before I went to sleep last night and now this morning when I turned it on, I am getting TONS of force closes and my Launcher Pro no longer starts (it defaulted back to Sense). Nothing that was on the SD card works and most of my custom settings are wiped out. Just like that...no explanation at all.

It seems also that the Incredible no longer sees ANYTHING that is installed on the SD card (even though everything is there!).

If I were to guess, it would seem like the main settings for the phone got totally corrupted somehow and now it doesn't know what's on the SD card at all, nor does it remember the main phone settings.

This is a complete DISASTER!

Anthony, wondering if you ever found a solution to this? I don't know what to do at this point besides a factory reset...

techguru

Reaction score
This happened to me a few weeks ago. I determined it was that my Seidio slim extended battery had gone bad. Only fix was a hard reset and reinstall everything and stop using the battery (warranty replacement on the way). Luckily I am rooted so I had a recent nandroid backup so I got back to normal fairly quickly).

Alan

OP
A

anthonym83

Reaction score
I had to do a factory reset. I bought My Backup Pro before I did it..backup up data only (not programs). Working fine now. Kind of ridiculous though...3rd wipe I've had to do...

techguru

Reaction score
With the others that have had this happen, did it also occur when you changed batteries, and do you use the Seidio slim extended or standard? More detail on mine. The device was very hot since I had been using navigation, and the Seidio was in my pocket, and also quite warm. I changed batteries and when the phone came up, it was stuck on the Droid eye for like 10 minutes. I did a battery pull, and when it came back up, it had lost its mind. no apps installed on the SD card would work, and no paid apps would work and email would not sync. All force closed on open. I did a nandroid restore, and all was well except it was about a week out of date, but the mail synced right up to date.

Later. I charged up the Seidio, switched back to the regular battery and charged it, and then two days later, virtually the same thing happened when I put the Seidio in. Again, the device was warm, but the battery was stone cold. However, I was getting the battery error flashing LED, and when I went into Battery Monitor widget (think that is the name) it showed the battery unhealthy and overheated, but the temperature as -54f.

I am pretty sure there is a short in the battery, as it was in my pocket and feels a little flexible, where the HTC battery is very solid.

I bought another HTC and stopped using the Seidio and everything has been fine for two weeks.

Alan

OP
A

anthonym83

Reaction score
I have 3 different batteries I cycle... I don't think they all would have gone bad at the same time. Trying to think if maybe one worked better. I don't have a phone charger, just battery charger.

My problem was also very specific. Specific apps would not open (immediate force close) no matter what, others would. But always the same ones like Taskos and ColorNote and FindMyPhone...but as I re-installed each one they would work totally fine again. The short battery life was something I noticed as a secondary effect.

jgordon00

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I also had been using the Seidio extended slim battery (1750) though I didn't notice any particular issues with respect to overheating or anything.

As I said, for me, it was just a regular night where I turned my phone off at night and plugged it in to charge. When I woke up the next morning to turn it on, everything was broken.

Since this happened, I backed up all my SD card contents that I wanted to keep onto my desktop computer and then had to do a hard reset. I pretty much reinstalled all my apps (Appbrain made it a bit faster, thankfully!). Since I was rooted, I took a bunch of screenshots of my phone so I could remember how everything was laid out on my screens and which apps I had installed.

Do we really think it could be the Seidio battery causing this issue or have others had this happen with the stock battery as well???? Ugh, did I seriously just waste $50 on this Seidio battery? :-(

Since I reinstalled and finally got everything back the way it was, I've done a nandroid backup (and may now do this every WEEK!) just in case. As a side note, is there a way to have your SD card apps backed up as well through nandroid? Or is there a better backup method that gets both settings & apps on the internal memory and apps on the SD card?