Incredible 2 or droid 3? which to buy

Blown03

Reaction score
Just looking for honest opinions here. This is my first droid, I'll be upgrading from an env touch which I love, simple and it works.

I've gone to store and played w/ incredible 2, I really love it alot. Screen is amazing, 3g is plenty fast, touch feels great also. I do live in a 4g market (Pittsburgh) but it's not that important to me. 3g seems fine and I'm around wifi enough so that's always a good alternative. Thunderbolt 4g definitely cooks, but I'd rather have better battery life then faster internet.

I've seen the pentile screen on other moto phones, although HTC is far better I think, not a deal breaker for me, as either phone is an upgrade from my current env touch.

Dual core doesn't seem super important either as the added ram in the incredible seems to keep up just fine.

Only big decision for me is going 100% touch screen, I do use my keyboard on the env quite a bit, hense wanting the droid 3 keyboard option.

Although cost isn't a huge concern, the incredible is quite a bit cheaper on wirefly for my upgrade. I'm a 2nd line on my wife and I's family plan, the incredible is 79.99 vs $169 for the droid 3 through verizon.

All things considering and being new to droid, what would you do?

Dan

dancingcrab

Reaction score
D3 is more likely to receive Android 2.4, and is generally more future proof - although the DInc2's 768MB RAM is nice. Otherwise, it is kinda a tough choice if a keyboard doesn't matter that much to you.

My wife has a DInc2, so I've played with one a lot - love it to bits, great device. It's getting Gingergread this week (w00t!), and I'll be pissed with if it gets Google Talk with Video Chat before my 2.3.4 D3.

The screen is very sharp, although hard to read in the sun. I hear the D3 is much better outside.

The DInc2 has been rooted, I believe. (Matter of time for D3.)

Oh, and I should point out the obligatory Sense vs. MAP/Blur custom skin debate - generally Sense is seen as much more favourable. Although the new Motorola Application Platform doesn't sound too bad, TBH. And VZW have nerfed the DInc2 Sense experience (maybe this'll change with GB?).

Bother are global, both are 4". Let us know what you decide!

Last edited:
OP
B

Blown03

Reaction score
Good point about future proof with the D3. Although I'm not a super user or someone who needs the newest and best, still important to consider. Just such a touch decision, my mind is leaning toward INC2, but the keyboard thing is really my only holdup, guess I'm kinda scared to go 100% touch

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
My best friend and his wife just got the Incredible 2 a few weeks ago (to get on an unlimited data plan).

I just got the Droid 3 this weekend (coming from the original Droid).

There phones are VERY nice but I, personally, really like having a physical keyboard so that I have the entire screen dedicated to what I'm typing. For a quick message I have no issue using the virtual touch screen keyboards...but writing out anything longer than a few words......out slides the keyboard.

Between the two....I prefer my Droid 3. The Incredible 2 is lighter and thinner, the Droid 3 is faster and has a physical keyboard. Both are great phones.

OP
B

Blown03

Reaction score
My best friend and his wife just got the Incredible 2 a few weeks ago (to get on an unlimited data plan).

I just got the Droid 3 this weekend (coming from the original Droid).

There phones are VERY nice but I, personally, really like having a physical keyboard so that I have the entire screen dedicated to what I'm typing. For a quick message I have no issue using the virtual touch screen keyboards...but writing out anything longer than a few words......out slides the keyboard.

Between the two....I prefer my Droid 3. The Incredible 2 is lighter and thinner, the Droid 3 is faster and has a physical keyboard. Both are great phones.

Exactly why I kinda want to keep a keyboard. I guess I'll wait till thurs and goto the store and play with the D3. Kinda didn't wanna wait though, leaving town friday for a weekend wedding and wanted a new toy to play w/ hahah. If I decide on the Inc2, I'll be ordering it to save $$ vs. upgrading @ Corporate

markwebb

Reaction score
I appreciate the feedback concerning these 2 phones.

I know in late Fall I will be upgrading and since 4G won't be available in my area this year or even next year, I will want a 3G model and defer the higher priced 4g phone models.

However, doesn't the HTC Incredible 2 have an unlocked bootloader? That is important to me after being spoiled by an unlocked Droid 1.