Incredible 2 acore / gapps process errors

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is a follow up to this thread, but since it appears to be a semi-common problem, I thought I'd start a new thread with HTC's offered solution. I'm still waiting on word as to whether or not this is something they're actively trying to fix and release a patch for.

Basically, if you own an Inc2, and suddenly have issue with your Google account, and get errors related to either of these processes - process.android.acore or com.google.process.gapps (Google Services Framework) - you can try this and see if it helps. I haven't had the issue crop up again, and can't recreate it, so I can't test it, but it makes sense. Just make sure you backup your contacts if you try this.

I'm hoping this works, as the only solution offered so far that fixes the issue is a factory reset. In HTC's email back to me, they said if these don't work and it continues to happen, a replacement might be in order as it could be hardware related (I don't see how... but I'm sure they have to say that). Anyway, here's what they sent me, in an attached Word document (some of this is basic, but I wanted to post it all anyway):

ANDROID – DUAL PROCESS ERROR ISSUE AFTER SOFTWARE UPGRADE

The first process error involving the core programming, you might consider clearing your Contacts Storage on your device. If you do not have your Contacts list backed up anywhere, you should consider sending a copy to your memory card.

======================================================

Backing up your contacts to the storage card
1. From the Home screen, tap APPLICATION LAUNCHER BUTTON > People.
2. Press MENU > tap Import/Export > Export to SD card.
3. Select an account or type of contacts to export > tap OK.

When you get your Contacts list saved to your memory card, you can forward a copy using a .VCF or Vcard to your Gmail account. After you have your Contacts saved, you can proceed with the troubleshooting steps (PROCESS.COM.ANDROID.ACORE).

1. Turn off synchronization
2. Back up your Contacts to the memory card then to Gmail if you would like.
3. Press Home > Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications
4. Scroll down to Contacts Storage application in "Manage applications"
5. Tap on Clear cache then Clear data (ATTENTION! ALL CONTACTS DATA ON PHONE WILL BE LOST!)
6. Turn on sync again.

When the screen opens up, you will come to the Application Information screen. You will find several selections on this screen but you are looking for clear cache. If the button is green, you should tap on the button. After the cache is cleared, you should tap on clear data and there should be a confirmation window afterwards. You tap on OK to confirm and this step should clear the data in the Contact Storage application only. After your screen comes back up, you need to soft reset your device.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Changing General Sync settings
1. Press HOME > MENU > tap Settings > Accounts & Sync.
2. Select or clear the following:
§ Background data -> If this is selected, applications can send and receive online account information even if you are not currently using them.
§ Auto-sync -> If this is selected, applications can use the sync schedule defined in the account settings. If this is cleared, you will need to sync accounts manually.

Synchronizing an account manually
1. Press HOME > MENU > tap Settings > Accounts & sync.
2. Tap the account that you want to sync.
3. Tap Sync now.

GOOGLE APPLICATION ISSUES

If you are still experiencing issues with your Google Applications, I suggest you consider clearing the data in this application through the Manage Applications screen.

===================================================

1. Press Home > Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications
2. Clear data from the Google Apps application in "Manage applications"

When your device screen comes back up, you should complete another soft reset. If there is still no resolution, you should attempt another factory reset but try the steps using the hardware keys instead.

Performing a factory reset using phone buttons
If you cannot turn on your phone or access the phone settings, you can still perform a factory reset by using the buttons on the phone.

======================================================

1. Remove the battery, wait for a few seconds, then reinsert the battery.
2. Press and hold the VOLUME DOWN button, and then briefly press the POWER/LOCK button.
3. Wait for the screen with the three Android images to appear, and then release the VOLUME DOWN button.
4. Press VOLUME DOWN to select FACTORY RESET, and then press the POWER/LOCK button.

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just received a follow up:

"Dear jntdroid,

I appreciate you sending another email after attempting the troubleshooting steps from the previous reply. I do not have any information about this being an issue but you are correct that there are a number of blog sites with a number of threads concerning this subject. We have found that the process error is usually affiliated with a third party application interfering with some core programming within the device.

Unfortunately, I do not have any information about an update but if Verizon is working on something, you should receive a notification on your Android device when the update is available on the server.

If you need any further assistance, you are welcome to send another inquiry through the HTC website by going through the Support page (HTC Mobile Phones - Product Support - Smartphones Help) then tapping ‘send us an email’. You should input all the necessary information requested on the page."

nikecar

Reaction score
I had both of these issues last week. I went searching and tried the soft reset and even the workaround for the syncing. That didn't work.

The only thing I had done on my phone was delete an SMS app that I didn't like, and move some apps (which I had done before) from the phone to the SD card, which were ones I DL'd from the market, not system stock ones.

I had issues with the Skype (which I wasn't using) but still got the error, my contacts got wiped (they were on the phone, not Gmail) and Backup assistance showed I had no contacts (even though I used it 2 weeks prior), and then I couldn't dial out at all.

Factory Reset fixed it at the store. This is good to know for future use.

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had both of these issues last week. I went searching and tried the soft reset and even the workaround for the syncing. That didn't work.

The only thing I had done on my phone was delete an SMS app that I didn't like, and move some apps (which I had done before) from the phone to the SD card, which were ones I DL'd from the market, not system stock ones.

I had issues with the Skype (which I wasn't using) but still got the error, my contacts got wiped (they were on the phone, not Gmail) and Backup assistance showed I had no contacts (even though I used it 2 weeks prior), and then I couldn't dial out at all.

Hopefully it works... like I said, haven't been able to try it myself yet.

One question - are you running any of the custom Sense skins (or were you at the time of the error) from that thread over at XDA?

nikecar

Reaction score

Hopefully it works... like I said, haven't been able to try it myself yet.

One question - are you running any of the custom Sense skins (or were you at the time of the error) from that thread over at XDA?
nope, stock non-rooted phone, running the GB update, and I think that 2nd update. But I hadn't updated anything for a few days, and everything had worked up to that point.

That's why it was either the SMS app deletion, or the moving of some apps.