Feolkieer

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G4
I just bought an LG G4 about a month ago and, while smartphones are not my most favorite devices ever, I'm usually pretty easygoing and can work around any problems I encounter. However, I have stumbled across one thing that frustrated me out of my mind: the apparent disablement of the "New incognito tab" button in Chrome.
Screenshot_2015-12-30-01-48-13.png

As you can see,every other button is normal, but the incognito button is grey and "unpushable." I don't know what the icon next the text on the button means, but when I go into settings for Chrome, the two settings with the matching icon are also untouchable.
Screenshot_2015-12-30-01-53-46.png

Can anyone tell me what's going on with Chrome? Why is my incognito mode disabled? How do I turn it back on?

Thanks,
Feolkieer

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
That's very strange. I have no issue with mine. Have you verified that you're using the latest version of Chrome? and are you using the official version, or the beta?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
One thing I noticed different is that I don't have the Home Page - ON/OFF option in my Chrome app. I have Chrome version 47.0.2526.83

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
One thing I noticed different is that I don't have the Home Page - ON/OFF option in my Chrome app. I have Chrome version 47.0.2526.83
I just checked mine. I'm on the same version and don't have the Home Page - ON/OFF option either. I'm wondering if the OP is using an outdated version?

OP
F

Feolkieer

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G4
I'm using version 47.0.2526.83, same as you. I'm almost 100% certain I'm not using a beta as the app's just called "Chrome".

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Checked mine as well and incog mode is active..

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
What about trying this: Settings > Apps (or App Manager...whatever its called on your phone) > Find Chrome and click Uninstall Updates > Yes to any messages. That will revert the Chrome app back to the original version. See if you have Incognito Mode then. You can always update the app to the current version through the Play Store at any time afterwards.

OP
F

Feolkieer

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G4
Well, that fixed the incognito problem... But it also closed all my tabs and deleted my bookmarks. That's okay for me because I only had four and I can still remember them, but for other people with years of history with their chrome app, maybe not so much. It also doesn't remember me being logged into all the sites I was. I'm going to relog in to all of them. Thanks anyway, sajokaz!

OP
F

Feolkieer

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G4
Just reupdated Chrome back to 47.0.2526.83, because it really couldn't hurt to see, and it's still fixed! That weird little icon is gone and those three features are now accessible. I have no idea what was wrong with it before, but I'm glad I got this resolved early on instead of losing years of bookmarks. Thanks a lot, sajokaz!!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Very true, I forgot to mention that restoring to the original app version deletes all user data...it literally reverts the app back to the first time you opened it. All of my Bookmarks sync into any phone or computer or tablet I open. I thought that was one of the benefits if Chrome, but could be mistaken. Anytime I have uninstalled updates to Chrome my Bookmarks repopulated as soon as I logged back into the Chrome app on my phone. Maybe one of the websites you stay logged into caused the grayed out Incognito Mode option?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I can't agree more on syncing Chrome bookmarks! Such a handy feature. I don't use a ton of bookmarks, but the ones I do are synced, so they stay the same whether I'm on my PC, phone, tablet, or get a new device and start fresh.

Glad that method did the trick to get your incognito mode back though!