In the clear?

SiLVERFIRE

Reaction score
Is it really possible to brick a Droid after you've got SPRecovery successfully installed? I mean from here, isn't it just a matter of installing roms and replacing kernals? I've already come across a couple situations where I couldn't boot into Android but I just ran a recovery backup from SPRecovery and it all worked fine.

OP
S

SiLVERFIRE

Reaction score
Under what kind of freak scenario would most commonly brick a Droid though? These things seem pretty resilient.

jaed569

Reaction score
It's actually pretty easy to brick your Droid. If you install a ROM without wiping, sometimes you will get a boot loop.

Bricking isn't really a big deal - the worst part about it is that, in order to fix your phone, you have to wipe your data.

Lucas5

Reaction score
i highly recommend getting titanium backup. it backs up all of your apps and their corresponding data plus much more. i bricked me phone already and it was very easy to recover it. i used motorola's RSD Lite and an SBF file to revert to factory than i installed a rooted update.zip. From there, you just install rom manager and you can get back to playing with various roms. :)

19DroidRage84

Reaction score
It's actually pretty easy to brick your Droid. If you install a ROM without wiping, sometimes you will get a boot loop.

Bricking isn't really a big deal - the worst part about it is that, in order to fix your phone, you have to wipe your data.

If you can fix it its not a brick.

brando56894

Reaction score
thank you, I was about to say people really need to learn the meaning of the term bricking. The only time you can truly brick a droid is with a bad SBF flash which will render it useless.

toddj

Reaction score

If you can fix it its not a brick.
+1
I agree, to me "brick" means that it is unrecoverable, and can from then on only be used as a paperweight. From what I understand bricking is pretty hard to do if you follow many of the great guides here carefully.
Boot loop is the worst I've experienced and i fixed it by just wiping and recovering. Definitely not a brick.

OP
S

SiLVERFIRE

Reaction score
Yeah, I was going to say... last night when messing around with different kernals and roms and such, I managed to get it stuck in a boot loop at the Motorola logo and I also managed to gt it stuck in a boot loop on the Droid start up logo. Neither of these were bricking it by any definition because all I had to do was run a recovery and everything was fine again.

Bricking is when the phone wont even get into recovery mode and you can't access anything or change anything to get the phone to start back up again.

That is what I'm asking. How hard is... really... to get a phone bricked once you've gotten past the potentially risky stage of flashing the recovery agent?

toddj

Reaction score
I'd like to know that too. Cause it seems like even if someone released a malicious rom, it would still be potentially easy to recover from.