Improve your Droid X voice quality

Elkay

Reaction score
Haven't seen this mentioned in the X-specific forums yet, and not sure how many of you wander outside the X forums so I thought I'd share this. You can potentially improve your voice quality by toggling a hidden setting by going to your dialer and dialing ##PROGRAM (##7764726) and hitting Send. The SPC password is 000000 on the DX. If you select option 4 (Vocoder) you will be given 3 options for your voice codec used during voice calls. The default on the DX is EVRC. The other options are the old 13K codec which is a constant bitrate codec, which some think is more crisp but has the potential for more background noise/hiss, and the new EVRC-B. EVRC-B will give you better voice quality at the same bitrate as EVRC.

Enhanced Variable Rate Codec B - Wikipedia

After changing codecs, your phone will reboot to start using the new codec. Your mileage may vary, but my voice quality was definitely improved switching to EVRC-B. Also note that this is sanctioned by Verizon, but they prefer you use EVRC or EVRC-B when you can because it uses less bandwidth on their towers. They only suggest 13K as a last resort fix for voice call problems.

Last edited:

NADA918

Reaction score
And If I want to switch back to what it was originally set at?

OP
E

Elkay

Reaction score
Repeat the procedure and simply select EVRC again. You can toggle between the 3 settings as often as you want. Just requires a reboot.

rcramirez

Reaction score
Thanks so much! Any suggestions on best sound quality to use with bluetooth? I have bluetooth in my car and my home phone, and have had 3 droids that all sounds horrible with them.

Yourrid

Reaction score
nice find! switched mine over... any other settings in there we can play with?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
very nice find. like the post above, anything we can tinker with in the ##program menu to make life with the DX better :)

96p993

Reaction score
so many directories in there...must be something else to play with!!

dt_

Reaction score
when you say better voice quality, do you mean "your voice sounds better to others you're talking to on the phone" or do you mean "others' voices sound better to me through the earpiece when i talk to them" or both? thanks! :)

OP
E

Elkay

Reaction score
You obviously can't improve their voice coming from their phone, but you will almost certainly sound better to others. My father tells me I sound like I'm on a land line when I talk to him. Then again, I was on an iPhone a month ago lol.

sheba611

Reaction score
Thanks. I was able to change the voice codec. I too am curious what the other items in the ##program are for.

drunkclever

Reaction score
I made the switch... the phone did not restart though... so i did it a few more times, lol. I then checked the other stuff. I wonder if you CAN increase the size of txt mags sent. Hummm.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

cpinto

Reaction score
Haven't seen this mentioned in the X-specific forums yet, and not sure how many of you wander outside the X forums so I thought I'd share this. You can potentially improve your voice quality by toggling a hidden setting by going to your dialer and dialing ##PROGRAM (##7764726) and hitting Send. The SPC password is 000000 on the DX. If you select option 4 (Vocoder) you will be given 3 options for your voice codec used during voice calls. The default on the DX is EVRC. The other options are the old 13K codec which is a constant bitrate codec, which some think is more crisp but has the potential for more background noise/hiss, and the new EVRC-B. EVRC-B will give you better voice quality at the same bitrate as EVRC.

After changing codecs, your phone will reboot to start using the new codec. Your mileage may vary, but my voice quality was definitely improved switching to EVRC-B. Also note that this is sanctioned by Verizon, but they prefer you use EVRC or EVRC-B when you can because it uses less bandwidth on their towers. They only suggest 13K as a last resort fix for voice call problems.

My X is arriving today. I'm leaving the Droid 1 due to voice problems... PLEASE don't tell me that the X has the same voice quality problems.

Tried all the secret fixes, but nothing made a difference.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

My X is arriving today. I'm leaving the Droid 1 due to voice problems... PLEASE don't tell me that the X has the same voice quality problems.

Tried all the secret fixes, but nothing made a difference.

i have an X and dont have any problems but I did the update anyways to see if it makes it better