Help! Hidden menu and improving voice quality?

dro

Reaction score
So I saw this a long time ago and have searched and searched to no avail. There is a hidden menu you get to, I believe by dialing something(no, not *228). There is some sort of option for changing the voice codec/compression to improve voice quality. Any details or links to information about this would be deeply appreciated.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score

bizfox

Reaction score
So I saw this a long time ago and have searched and searched to no avail. There is a hidden menu you get to, I believe by dialing something(no, not *228). There is some sort of option for changing the voice codec/compression to improve voice quality. Any details or links to information about this would be deeply appreciated.

Dial ##PROGRAM and SEND on your dialpad. Select Vocode, then EVRC-B. Your phone will reboot afterwards. That's it...

Socialite

Reaction score
I believe you are referring to the programming menu, in which case you get to it by pressing ##7764726 (which is ##program) once in the menu it will ask you for an SPC password, enter 000000 (six zeros), and press verify. The option you are looking for is option 04 Vocode, select EVRC-B, then apply. Once done your phone will reboot itself and voila! Hope this helps....

jrl9851

Reaction score
Is there a possiblity this could make voice quality worse? What exactly does this do?

OP
dro

dro

Reaction score
Exactly what I was looking for, thanks a lot!

Is there a possiblity this could make voice quality worse? What exactly does this do?

I doubt it could make it worse, if it did you could just change it back. From what I recall, it changes they way voice data is compressed and in turn makes calls sound better.

Last edited:

TommyGrubz

Reaction score
Anyone who has done this: did you notice a significant increase in battery drain after making this change? Did it really improve that much? What about if you are in a call for like 30 minutes or more?

Not that it matters too much, just got a new spare battery with battery charger on ebay for 9.99 :D dancedroid