Import Pictures And Video

McKealty

Reaction score
I just backed up my photos and videos onto my laptop.

I thought the import process would be a little 'smarter' in that it would create sub-directories for where the images were stored on the phone. For example 'Instagram', 'DCIM', 'Camera'...etc. However it was a simple dump into a dated directory that I chose. I also chose to have the images and photos deleted upon successful transfer because I have a lot of duplicate images.

After sorting through the images with a duplicate finder, I would like to import the media back onto my device, however I don't want to create a bigger mess by having them all dumped into whatever directory on my device it chooses.

I feel pretty noobed over this, but I was really hoping that the images would be placed into respective directories.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

I'd like to suggest you check out an app called AirDroid. It may give you a more familiar way of accessing the storage on the phone using your desktop and you can cut and paste until you have it where you want/need it. It can transfer in both directions and you can see the folders you need.

OP
McKealty

McKealty

Reaction score
Hello!

Thank you for the recommendation, I'm going to take a look at it right now.

OP
McKealty

McKealty

Reaction score
While a nice app, not really what I'm looking for.

I need to be able to put the images back into the correct area of the phone from whence they came.

Importing them, they all got dumped into a single directory, I don't see a way to reupload them to the phone into their proper areas...like Instagram photos, Wallpapers etc.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
OK, back to your original post. What did you use to "back" it up in the first place? Could you explain how you "imported" them back?

OP
McKealty

McKealty

Reaction score
OK, back to your original post. What did you use to "back" it up in the first place? Could you explain how you "imported" them back?

Simply connected it to my laptop with a USB cable and used the native import functionality of Windows.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
AhHa, now I get it. There is no way to reverse that. Had you used a backup app it would have, (could have) restored to the original locations. Windows can import lots of things and even understands in some cases where it should go but was never intended to export the same items, so it has no idea where to put them. Your only option is to manually move.

OP
McKealty

McKealty

Reaction score
It appears that the previously loathed, bothersome Verizon Backup Assistant actually did something. I dug around in there and it appears to be downloading everything.