Confused about importing photos

Eschurr

Reaction score
I am looking for a better way to import photos from my S3 to my PC.

When i attach my S3 to my PC, I chose "connect as Camera (PTP)." If i open the DCIM folder on the camera, i see a list of files, but Windows won't preview a photo unless i open it full size. i have to do this for every file to determine which photos i want to import. That's pretty clunky.

If i try to import the photos using Adobe Lightroom, it also can't preview the photos.

Is there some trick to previewing the photos in Windows 7 before downloading them?

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Why not use MTP mode?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

JRParsons

Reaction score
On my pc i can choose list, small thumbnail, large thumbnail, etc. Large thumbnail gives me a good view of the picture. I'm running Windows 7. Are you using a different program on your pc to import, or is it simply windows explorer. You can always go old school and take the sd card out of the phone and plug it into the pc, then it should read it like any other drive. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

OP
E

Eschurr

Reaction score
On my pc i can choose list, small thumbnail, large thumbnail, etc. Large thumbnail gives me a good view of the picture. I'm running Windows 7. Are you using a different program on your pc to import, or is it simply windows explorer. You can always go old school and take the sd card out of the phone and plug it into the pc, then it should read it like any other drive. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

You're doing what i want to be able to do. i'm trying to use both Windows 7 Explorer and Adobe Lightroom, and neither one are showing me any preview images.

my photos are on the camera storage, not my card.

Do you have any special options set? i can't find any relevant settings.

seems like a simple thing to do.

JRParsons

Reaction score
Not near my pc right now, if I get home early enough I'll experiment and let you know what I find.

JRParsons

Reaction score
I need to apologize for my first post, it is a different device that shows the thumbnails. As best as I can determine the S3 will not allow a windows PC to show thumbnails. This seems to be a step backwards, as my prior phones all did. I saw somewhere that someone had success on an IMac. Which seems strange. Like you I tried PTP & MTP. I changed my default JPG viewer to windows, picassa, Office, etc. nothing worked. I can plug my old phone, my portable scanner and my S3 all in to the PC, all with the same files and my S3 is the only device that doesn't show thumbnails. I know this doesn't answer your question, but I have a work around that creates 1 additional step. On your desktop (or some other easily accessed location) create a new folder. From the PC open up the folder on the phone with the pictures, choose all of them, and drag them to the new folder. This will import all of them, then you can pick and choose (with thumbnails) which pictures you want to put in your pictures library or whichever folder you store your pictures in. When finished delete the new folder and all of the pictures you didn't want. I hope this helps, and again, I apologize for the incorrect information in my first post.

chubby22

Reaction score
I ran into the same issue. Now I just take out the sd card and insert that in, or I use kies...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Droid Forums

OP
E

Eschurr

Reaction score
I need to apologize for my first post, it is a different device that shows the thumbnails. As best as I can determine the S3 will not allow a windows PC to show thumbnails. This seems to be a step backwards, as my prior phones all did. I saw somewhere that someone had success on an IMac. Which seems strange. Like you I tried PTP & MTP. I changed my default JPG viewer to windows, picassa, Office, etc. nothing worked. I can plug my old phone, my portable scanner and my S3 all in to the PC, all with the same files and my S3 is the only device that doesn't show thumbnails. I know this doesn't answer your question, but I have a work around that creates 1 additional step. On your desktop (or some other easily accessed location) create a new folder. From the PC open up the folder on the phone with the pictures, choose all of them, and drag them to the new folder. This will import all of them, then you can pick and choose (with thumbnails) which pictures you want to put in your pictures library or whichever folder you store your pictures in. When finished delete the new folder and all of the pictures you didn't want. I hope this helps, and again, I apologize for the incorrect information in my first post.

no worries. your workaround is simple and makes sense.

OP
E

Eschurr

Reaction score
no worries. your workaround is simple and makes sense.

I asked this question on another forum and got a really helpful answer. thought i'd share it here in case anyone is interested. I tried it and it's really easy to use and works great

there is, use your kies air..
connect your phone to wifi router first.
you may also connect your pc to the same router
then from your phone click Kies air start, a web address url will be visible, enter this to your pc web browser.
once kies air detects your browser, it will give you a pin to be use as a password.
enter it and press enter.