If you have a phone that doesn't "wake up" here is what to do...

andjarnic

Reaction score
Hey all,

I only saw two others on the forum that had my problem.. where the phone sometimes just never wakes up.. or doesn't turn on. The first thing anyone should try is a hard reset. I did not do this before I called Verizon.. but as this is not something easily reproducible in a matter of minutes, there is no way to be sure very quickly if it works. You will lose everything, so back stuff up if you can. If that doesn't work, then you can call Verizon directly and speak to a tech person. The lady I spoke to agreed that my phone should not do that and she asked several techs and not one had heard of such an issue on the Droid, so I was their first with this issue. They are sending me out a new phone, and I am to return this one. I had to pay another $345, but it will get refunded when this phone I have is returned to them. Another option is they can call a near by Verizon store and tell them you are returning the phone for a new one, so you don't have to put any money out. I didn't want to waste another hour or longer doing that, so for me this was easier.

One last idea I had.. I've seen where memory chips (or flash cards) can cause issues as well. IF you have a spared SDHC card laying around, try replacing the one in the phone with the spare one, and see how that goes for a few days. It may be that some of the flash cards coming with the phones are defective and causing this "crash" as I call it.

Hope this helps anyone else experiencing this issue.

patweeks69

Reaction score
Phone won't wake up

I just got my new phone and it has this problem as well. Removing the battery fixed the issue so I don't really think its a HW problem. Also lost my contacts. Hmmm

If others have had this problem please post

thanks

AnarchyMatt

Reaction score
Same Here

After almost a month of owning it, today my phone would not wake up from going to sleep twice. Removed the battery, seems to start up fine. ?

jzgilbert

Reaction score
Pat, I had a problem with my contacts in the beginning of my phone, I read up and found that sometimes all you have to do is import contacts from the sd card, that got all mine back so hopefully thats your issue.

hibiscus27

Reaction score
this has happened to me twice now (in a about a month) ... and i just removed the battery, reinstalled battery and it started up fine. haven't lost any info (contacts etc) using this "solution"

AnarchyMatt

Reaction score
"solution"

Talked with my sister in law who is a tech at Verizon. She said probably due to a bad app, or update. I did do an update on Nestoid Lite and something else previous to this problem, and maybe it freaked out. Anyway she recommended uninstalling last few apps if possible and see what happens. Also she said if that doesn't work, to do a Hard Reset on the phone to restore back to factory. It that doesn't work to reinstall OS. (verizon store will do for you if you want ) She did not think this was a hardware issue.

I have uninstalled the last few updated apps, and it now seems to be fine after a day of use... ( knock wood fingers crossed etc )

bristolcat

Reaction score
This happened to me just this morning. I did install several apps yesterday, so that could be it. A battery pull worked, but I had sufficient time for a panic attack before Droid came back to life. This has happened maybe two or three other times since I've owned it. Otherwise, it's run perfectly without any problems up until yesterday when I noticed it got really laggy. I uninstalled about ten apps before I went to bed last night.

FoFa

Reaction score
Odd, mine did the same thing just a little awhile ago. It has actually not done that before.
last week I installed a couple apps, one of which I uninstalled, but had not run either of them since last week.
Battery pull and was back up and running. Only second time I have been required to pull the battery since getting the phone last NOV.

WolfMan69

Reaction score
Has happened about 4 times with mine.. always when removing from the multimedia dock.. was running fine in the dock.. grab the phone and the screen goes dark and then will not wakeup without pulling the battery first.

The other issue I have had is the random reboot.. sucked majorly one time cause I was using Google Navigation in a new city and was approaching my exit in rush hour traffic and all of sudden I see the Droid eye on the screen flashing and went "Oh sh$t!" and had no idea which exit I was supose to take.. and had to put back in my destination while driving in city rush hour.. was not happy!!!

If it pulls that stunt again.. I'm going back to Verizon for a replacement.

patweeks69

Reaction score
phone not waking - possible reason ?

I noticed that when I disable my home WIFI I don't ever seem to be able to replicate this problem but when I enable my wireless networks and load up the device with all kinds of activities it can get confused. I've been able to make it stay always on as well. Hard resetting via pulling the battery always corrects the problem. The first time this happened to me I did not have gmail set up so I lost my contacts, so yes, updating contacts fixes that. Evidently your contacts are really stored on gmail servers I guess.

schollianmj

Reaction score
hee hee. Im sorry but this is funny to me. I just got my droid after using a HTC Touch Pro for a year... with Winblows Mobile on it... Yep. Soft reset (Device had a button rather than having to do a batterypull) pretty much every day. sometimes more than once a day. I have had my Droid for a week now and had it happen twice. to me it isnt any cause for concern... But then I was corrupted by Winblows too.

So Im guessing that I sholdnt be happy that it happens? as to me installing an app before it happens... have I mentioned that I LOVE the marketplace? cant count howmany apps I install anduninstall in a day. I guess Im kinda going nuts with it all... maybe I will calm down in a week or five and then I will seriously look at the random lockups as an issue.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Has happened about 4 times with mine.. always when removing from the multimedia dock.. was running fine in the dock.. grab the phone and the screen goes dark and then will not wakeup without pulling the battery first.

The other issue I have had is the random reboot.. sucked majorly one time cause I was using Google Navigation in a new city and was approaching my exit in rush hour traffic and all of sudden I see the Droid eye on the screen flashing and went "Oh sh$t!" and had no idea which exit I was supose to take.. and had to put back in my destination while driving in city rush hour.. was not happy!!!

If it pulls that stunt again.. I'm going back to Verizon for a replacement.

You need to do a hard factory reset. The key here is the resetting. Something is not right. I'd do a factory reboot first, add your paid apps back in slowly and then start adding in the free apps. If it does this while you have no apps running then it is a phone issue. But I'll bet it's an app causing you problems.